Extremely laggy and locks up constantly

#1 Edited by MephistOMG (28 posts) -

At first, I thought maybe it was just my connection, or the connection of the people hosting the matches. But after playing in about 15 different rooms, I only had one game that wasn't laggy as shit. I didn't see it mentioned in the review or on the forums, am I the only one having this problem? One match lagged so hard I actually got a dirty disc error.

The game is amazing though. I played about 5 hours strait last night - lag and all.

#2 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

I've only had one super-lag game out of 4.  And that was only for a little while.  I didn't see any negative effects though.  It wasn't like the enemies overran us while we were lagged.  I wonder if the AI slows down too.
#3 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

I have experienced zero lag thus far.

#4 Posted by MephistOMG (28 posts) -
@YoungFrey said:
I've only had one super-lag game out of 4.  And that was only for a little while.  I didn't see any negative effects though.  It wasn't like the enemies overran us while we were lagged.  I wonder if the AI slows down too.
actually i just had like 3 different servers that were smooth. maybe it was just a day 1 thing.
#5 Posted by CrazyBagMan (801 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a day 1 thing. The only MP game I played was pretty late in the day so that might be why I didn't experience any significant lag.

#6 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

On a video mailbag they talked about some new code they wrote that combines the the low lag of an FPS netcode with the bandwidth of an RTS protocol.  With the intent of allowing low lag performance with their large enemy counts.  At least most of time it's worked great for me, but I can understand why a new system like this could have problems considering what they are trying to do with it.
#7 Posted by Jackel2072 (2226 posts) -

i have had some pretty bad lag in some matches. its been 50/50 between rooms that run smooth and rooms that were choppy. i only had to quit a game once because of it though.

#8 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Look at the bright side, at least the game came out in your region of the world

#9 Posted by Gutterkisser (135 posts) -

Most of my games have had pretty significant lag, I'm not sure if the matchmaking is poor or there's just no Australians playing.

It seems to compensate for lag by bringing the entire framerate to a stuttery mess, even in cut scenes. Loving the game and trying to push past, but half the time it's basically unplayable online..

#10 Posted by Captainlunchbox (438 posts) -

I've had more laggy games that I get kicked out of than playable ones. But the game is such that I always just reload and try again.

#11 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -

I have noticed that in 4 man matches where there is a lot of explosives it tends to lag a good bit, 
I have yet to d/c during a match though

#12 Posted by bslayer (208 posts) -

yeah my buddy and i had some pretty laggy matches, but it was so fun we decided to beat the game no matter what. we even got kicked into our own single player match once, and then just rejoined after each other. i know it will be fixed if it hasn't already and i plan to keep playing it for a while. in fact, after i'm done typing this, i'm gonna go play it. man, i can't wait for some badass dlc!

#13 Posted by fleshribbon (83 posts) -

You know, I have played lots online in the past several days and haven't had a single laggy mission. Granted, I have mostly played with friends spread across the US but even playing with randoms a few times wasn't laggy. Of course there were the very few times where mass chaos was ensuing on the battlefield where the game slowed down but not laggy.

#14 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

I've played a number of matches, and I've seen a lot more disconnects and desynchs than lag. Just sporadic lag but a good number of drops.

#15 Posted by kerse (2040 posts) -

I've only had one room so far that didn't have horrible lag, but the games so fun so far I'm just kinda pushing through it lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.