Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ken Levine

Person » credited in 15 games

Ken Levine is the founder and creative director of Irrational Games, and has developed games such as Freedom Force, System Shock 2, and BioShock.

Ken Levine In The Running For Time's 100 Most Influential

• 58 results
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

Thought this was pretty damn awesome. Right now, Ken Levine is in the running for being included in the Time "100 Most Influential People". Whether you really agree with Time's views or not, the idea that game development can even garner some praise like this is astounding, but especially for a guy who is pretty much the shit when it comes to crafting a game. To point out, if he showed up, it would be the second time that a game designer would show up on the Time 100 list, the first being Shigeru Miyamoto. Pretty damn good company.

If you want to vote, here's the link: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2107952_2107953_2109982,00.html

Right now, he's sitting at around 89% to be included.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

You know, Ken Levine is a cool guy and I like him, but I don't think he's anywhere close to one of the one hundred most influential people in the world.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By damswedon

Isn't the Time 100 supposed to be about how influential a person is in one year?

If so, what did he do?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@damswedon: Made a game 5 years ago

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By daiphyer

They have also got Ali Khamenei, LMFAO and Kony 2012 in that list. I am starting to doubt the integrity of this list.

But I did vote for Ken Levine. Hell of a guy.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

That's good for him, I suppose. Not that I think the list has any value whatsoever, but still good for him.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By damswedon

@Bourbon_Warrior: I knew that, just though I missed him announcing he had found a source of cheap and limitless fuel or something in the last year.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By prestonhedges

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@damswedon: Made a game 5 years ago

Not a very good one, either.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By TheHBK

What the fuck does he influence? A few people making a game? You can say that about a lot, a lot of guys.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By daiphyer

@damswedon said:

Isn't the Time 100 supposed to be about how influential a person is in one year?

If so, what did he do?

It says influential, it doesn't mean influential. If you look at that list, it's full of current people that kids/idiots are into.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@damswedon: Times been going downhill ever since they annouced Hitler as Person of the Year

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kedi2

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@damswedon: Times been going downhill ever since they annouced Hitler as Person of the Year

There is no denying Hitler as the most significant person of that era.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Winternet

@damswedon: He is putting out Bioshock Infinite this year.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Snipzor

Must have been a dull year for him to be nominated for most influential before he released Bioshock Infinite. Or people can feel the influential sting of the future, which in that case, he should be number 1 for breaking the laws of time.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By damswedon

@Winternet: Okay two questions then;

1. Because Bioshock Infinite isn't out yet, why does that make him influential?
    2. Is this just some evil marketing thing to get his name out?
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MideonNViscera

That's fucked. As in fucking stupid haha

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Deusx

Guys you're arguing about the Time Magazine. The same magazine that called M00t the most influential person in 2009. Stop it.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By Hector

Really LMFAO is up for consideration in this list...ugh!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Sooty

@Slaker117 said:

You know, Ken Levine is a cool guy and I like him, but I don't think he's anywhere close to one of the one hundred most influential people in the world.

Yeah this, pretty ridiculous really.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Winternet

@damswedon: Aren't these yearly lists? If so, then it isn't about what has been done, but what is been doing and is about to be done in 2012. And Bioshock Infinite is looking to have major impact on 2012.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By prestonhedges

@Winternet said:

@damswedon: Aren't these yearly lists? If so, then it isn't about what has been done, but what is been doing and is about to be done in 2012. And Bioshock Infinite is looking to have major impact on 2012.

Another linear, tunnel-vision first-person shooter? Yeah, it's breaking all sorts of paradigms.

klimdeeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By klimdeeni

@Slaker117: have you looked at who else is on the list? they set the bar pretty low. In this line up, he gets my vote

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Winternet

@gladspooky said:

@Winternet said:

Another linear, tunnel-vision first-person shooter? Yeah, it's breaking all sorts of paradigms.

Yeah, because that's exactly what people that played the game keep saying.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snipzor

@gladspooky said:

@Winternet said:

Oh look one of those posts.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Kedi2: NAZI!!!

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By prestonhedges

@Snipzor said:

@gladspooky said:

@Winternet said:

No, you guys are right. It's totally going to change the world.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By damswedon

@Winternet: Just seems like a long stretch for me to claim that a game that isn't out yet is going to be influential. Surely influence is something that comes after the event. Maybe I'm just weirded out by the fact that the Time 100 of 2012 is starting up in March.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187

Huh...

Well, I guess I'm not cynical or hipster enough to actually hold the opinions that many seem to have. Hell, maybe I'm just not enough of an internet troll.

Oh well. He got my vote, and I'm so sorry that you people felt the need to open a thread that you obviously didn't care about in the first place. = /

@damswedon said:

@Winternet: Just seems like a long stretch for me to claim that a game that isn't out yet is going to be influential. Surely influence is something that comes after the event. Maybe I'm just weirded out by the fact that the Time 100 of 2012 is starting up in March.

Time 100 of 2012 covers influential people during the course of 2011, much the same way that the 2012 Oscars cover films that took place in 2011...or the 2012 Emmys...or the 2012 Tonys...etc etc etc.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Winternet

@gladspooky said:

@Snipzor said:

@gladspooky said:

@Winternet said:

Of course it will. The only thing that doesn't change the world is inaction.

@damswedon said:

It's an opinion article. It's not a report.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Animasta

@Winternet said:

@gladspooky said:

@Snipzor said:

@gladspooky said:

@Winternet said:

Of course it will. The only thing that doesn't change the world is inaction.

or sexy 12 year olds which infinite also has!

Serious talk they should have picked Tim Schafer for the whole Kickstarter thing

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By prestonhedges

@jakob187 said:

Huh...

Well, I guess I'm not cynical or hipster enough to actually hold the opinions that many seem to have. Hell, maybe I'm just not enough of an internet troll.

Oh well. He got my vote, and I'm so sorry that you people felt the need to open a thread that you obviously didn't care about in the first place. = /

I like how you try to take the high road and end up throwing no less than three insults out there.

Also disliking Bioshock is probably the least "hipser" thing I can think of.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Snipzor

@Animasta: Oh definitely, I could go for seeing Tim Schafer's awesome smugness decorate the cover of Time Magazine, if I read it. Which I don't.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187

@Animasta: Again, though - Time's 2012 Most Influential covers the events of 2011...not 2012.

I really do hope that Schafer ends up on next year's list, though. What he has started is pretty great to see unfold, if not a little scary in some ways.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Animasta

@jakob187 said:

@Animasta: Again, though - Time's 2012 Most Influential covers the events of 2011...not 2012.

I really do hope that Schafer ends up on next year's list, though. What he has started is pretty great to see unfold, if not a little scary in some ways.

wait, then what did levine do last year? at least infinite is being released this year

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By damswedon

@jakob187 said:

@damswedon said:

Time 100 of 2012 covers influential people during the course of 2011, much the same way that the 2012 Oscars cover films that took place in 2011...or the 2012 Emmys...or the 2012 Tonys...etc etc etc.

So why is Ken Levine on that list when a Todd Howard or Gabe Newell, each the figureheads of companies that shipped games in 2011 are not on that list instead?

And also, back to my original question, what did Ken do last year?

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Snipzor

@gladspooky: The only way you can be more hipster is if you said "I liked Bioshock back when it was called System Shock 1".

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jakob187

@gladspooky said:

@jakob187 said:

Huh...

I like how you try to take the high road and end up throwing no less than three insults out there.

I didn't know that being "cynical" or "hipster" was an insult. Last I checked, they were specific characteristics of people. If anything, being cynical isn't a bad thing. I used to follow the Cynic philosophies, but eventually, I fell more in line with the Stoicism. As for hipsters, they have a particular sort of lifestyle that they prefer, and I'm friends with many of them. They are pretty decent people, but they generally seem to hate a lot of things that are popular (i.e. Time Magazine) just because they are popular. In turn, it is little more than an observation that some people just feel the need to badmouth this whole thing because it is a popular poll in a popular magazine. The internet troll part...that was an insult.

The second line was not an insult either. Instead, it was another observation to say "hey, why do you feel the need to go into a thread solely to say in one line that you hate Time Magazine...or want to say that you think it's stupid for someone who has obviously been influential in the world of gaming to even be considered alongside people who are also influential in their own fields?"

So, you can take what I had to say as you wish, but I know the intentions in which I speak them. That's all that honestly matters, but I figured I would explain so you at least know the thought process behind them.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @jakob187 said:

especially for a guy who is pretty much the shit when it comes to crafting a game.

Enlighten me, how so?
    prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By prestonhedges

@Snipzor said:

@gladspooky: The only way you can be more hipster is if you said "I liked Bioshock back when it was called System Shock 1".

Yeah, I get a lot of play at the indie rock festivals with my old PC gamer cred. The fuck are people even talking about anymore? And no, I've never played System Shock. I don't generally like scripted event fests.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jakob187

@Animasta: @damswedon: I would assume that it has to do with the unveiling of Bioshock Infinite and the almost worldwide positive "WHOOOOO HOOOOOO" it seemed to get from people when trailers and gameplay started showing up. It probably also has to do with him pulling the veil back on the behind-the-scenes process and showing how they are trying to push boundaries in terms of storytelling as well as presentation and character development in video games.

...or maybe it's because he was able to get Troy Baker to make Courtney Draper ball like a sissy and because I'm pretty sure we all marked the fuck out whenever that whole "time rip to show a modern day scene with a theater and Booker freaked out along with Elizabeth" moment happened.

I don't know what it's for. I know that I think Ken deserves some recognition, as well as Irrational, for the work they've put into Bioshock Infinite and the almost unanimous positive reception anything that game is producing content-wise seems to be able to get. It seems to show that he's doing something right.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Snipzor

@gladspooky said:

@Snipzor said:

Yeah, I get a lot of play at the indie rock festivals with my old PC gamer cred. The fuck are people even talking about anymore? And no, I've never played System Shock. I don't generally like scripted event fests.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By prestonhedges

@jakob187 said:

@gladspooky said:

@jakob187 said:

Huh...

I didn't know that being "cynical" or "hipster" was an insult. Last I checked, they were specific characteristics of people. If anything, being cynical isn't a bad thing. I used to follow the Cynic philosophies, but eventually, I fell more in line with the Stoicism.

*cough*bullshit*cough*

Any sentence that begins with "Well, I guess I'm not..." is going to include some insults. It's the way of things.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BlastProcessing

Shawn Elliott deserves to be on that list more than Levine, solely based on his twitter.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jakob187

@gladspooky: Whatever. I stated my case. You don't like it. Don't care enough about changing minds.

@BlastProcessing said:

Shawn Elliott deserves to be on that list more than Levine, solely based on his twitter.

Who is Shawn Elliott?

EDIT: OH, DAMN! You know what? You're goddamn right, sir. Where do we do a write-in? I absolutely forgot about that shit!

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By damswedon

@jakob187: The real answer was provided.

No Caption Provided

The joke was in all our faces and we missed it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jakob187

@damswedon said:

No Caption Provided

Best goddamned thing ever.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Winternet

@jakob187 said:

@damswedon said:

No Caption Provided

Best goddamned thing ever.

Perfect.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why was this (Bioshock) game art and other games not?

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By falling_fast

sure why not *votes for ken levine*

besides, didn't moot make #1 on this list at least once? in light of that, this list doesn't actually mean anything imo. So just vote for whoever you like. and I do like ken levine, so whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like people here get worse and worse everyday

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.