Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Keyboard

Object » linked to 122 games

A set of alphanumeric and command keys used to input information to a computer. Can usually be found sitting in front of in-game monitors.

What keyboard are you using?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

My current Logitech G15 keyboard has served me well for over 13 years. I also have a secondary wireless Logitech K520 that I just use to operate my PC via the TV.

The keys on the G15 still feel responsive and I've grown very used to its ergonomics. I like to use the silly little screen to monitor my performance metrics, music playlist or just look at the clock. The media buttons also are quite comprehensive and useful. I have not however used the macros pretty much ever and the RGB backlight is fading from all these years of use.

After all this time I might finally be looking for a new keyboard to see how much gaming keyboards have advanced in the last decade. Currently I'm sort of hemming and hawing between the Roccat Vulcan 100 Aimo and the Corsair K70 RGB MK.2. I'd love to hear any experiences any of you might have with these keyboards and in general hear what kind of keyboard setup all of you are using.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm using the Corsair K95 still, been having it for a while now. More specifically the Cherry MX Speed version that has the super sensitive keys. It's definitely a totally different feel to it compared to a 13 year old keyboard. I had to get use to how sensitive the keys were, but they have a super smooth press that I've grown fond of.

It comes with extra hot keys on the left side and I've assigned the bottom most one as ESC so instead of having to take my fingers off of WASD to hit ESC I just use my pinky to hit it. They are pretty convenient to have I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

CHERRY Strait Exclusive Edition Testa Motari (just a regular Strait with a thin wood panel on top, really). I got it for relatively cheap a couple of years ago. The original asking prices were ludicrous.

Yeah, not a gaming keyboard as such, but works okay.

No Caption Provided

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Wemibelle

I currently use a Ducky One 2. Ducky is a fantastic mechanical keyboard manufacturer that uses well-made parts and is typically more reasonably priced and higher quality than most "gaming" keyboards. It's a pretty simple keyboard, with only a handful of extra buttons, but it does exactly what I want it to do and nothing more. I especially dig how the cord is actually detachable too, for easier movement or potential replacement. My only real complaint with it is that the keys are a bit too tall and make seeing the status lights (for Caps Lock, Num Lock, etc) hard. Other than that, it's easily the best keyboard I've ever owned.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

I use a Corsair K65 Lux RGB. I need a tenkeyless keyboard because my desk is too high to comfortably use a keyboard and mouse on top of for an extended period of time, and I need the extra mousing space next to the keyboard in the keyboard drawer. This was, at the time I bought it, the only tkl mechanical keyboard I could find with a USB pass-through on the back, which I used all the time.

It's a fine keyboard, but I am currently eyeing a change to the Steelseries Apex Pro tkl, which has keys that allow you to individually adjust the actuation point on them, which will surely be something I never actually use or need. I do also own a Steelseries mouse and wireless headset, so it would be nice to get all my peripherals managed via a single piece of software so I have less bloat on my PC.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6 fisk0  Moderator

a DEC PCXAL from 1987. The space bar has been broken for two years, but I still prefer it over any other keyboard I have. At some point I'll try to find out if I can fix it on my own, because I'd rather not get rid of it.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I'm using one of these generic things, pretty comfy for how cheap they are, just had to get use to how high the throw is.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Corsair K70 Mk.2 with silent switches.

...Yup. Kinda not much to elaborate on since I get the impression that it's a great keyboard that isn't all that interesting to talk about these days.

Kinda peeved that the wrist rest broke and I can't get an official replacement, though, but a gel wrist rest by Belkin is actually more comfortable.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've been using a Logitech G610 with Cherry MX Brown switches for almost 4 years now. I really like typing on it and while it's technically a gaming keyboard, it doesn't look obnoxious. Unfortunately it's no longer being manufactured and Logitech don't seem to make keyboards with Cherry switches anymore so I'm not sure what to do when it kicks the bucket.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dell KB212.
    I tried to use a mechanical keyboard when looking to upgrade once but it was a total waste of money, i got a Razer Lycosa and it was awful, loads of technical issues and i hated how the keys felt and sounded, i longed for the feel of standard membrane keys and went for the Dell and it's the best keyboard i've ever used.
    I have 2 spare but i'm still using the first one i bought 6 years ago for £11, i highly recommend them if you just want a bog standard, responsive and reliable keyboard.

No Caption Provided

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro L, which I bought probably four years ago.

Cherry MX Red switches and built like a tank. Also got that RGB, but the only color I ever use is green, so... eh.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have the slightly newer logitech clone of OPs (g510) and i'm in a similar boat. Whats the mechanical keyboard for someone that doesnt want a mechanical keyboard?

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Maybe the Razer Huntsman? It has an optical switch sensor rather than a mechanical switch, but it's still basically a mechanical keyboard, just with a different form of actuation. If you are a typist that likes a short actuation point, and who doesn't tend to bottom out keys, this seems like a good option. I've read some reviews that say it may be a little too sensitive sometimes, though, with accidental key strokes registered just from the weight of someone's fingers resting on keys.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I currently use a Ducky One 2. Ducky is a fantastic mechanical keyboard manufacturer that uses well-made parts and is typically more reasonably priced and higher quality than most "gaming" keyboards. It's a pretty simple keyboard, with only a handful of extra buttons, but it does exactly what I want it to do and nothing more. I especially dig how the cord is actually detachable too, for easier movement or potential replacement. My only real complaint with it is that the keys are a bit too tall and make seeing the status lights (for Caps Lock, Num Lock, etc) hard. Other than that, it's easily the best keyboard I've ever owned.

Ducky Shine 3 for me. YOTS edition at home, and the yellow special edition at work. Get a Ducky, you won't regret it.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelle: I recently got my first mechanical keyboard, loving the ducky one 2. It doesn't light up, looks stylish and it's great to write on.

No Caption Provided

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@fetchfox: So the buttons have no form of backlight? I play a lot in total darkness, so having the keys backlit is quite important for me. I don't really care for all the RGB madness though. Something simple but with brightness adjustment would be good enough.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never had a yearning for a mechanical keyboard, so I use a Corsair K55 RGB.

The keys feel nice, they press nice, and spring back up nice. Does the job.

It does have RGB loosely speaking - it has 3 sectors which can change color, it's not per-key lighting. The lighting isnt that great, and sometimes it stays on in it's 'Rainbow Wave mode' when the PC is off which is distracting and can't be switched off in that state. So I keep it turned off. Keys are still readable in low light without it on.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I have a pair of old Filco Majestouch 2's that I've had for something like 7 years, one with red switches and one with brown. One is hooked to my windows PC, the other hooked to the old cinema display I use for my mac setup. Both work fine despite me spilling coffee on them so I have no desire to replace them.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: That i see, but I prefer the light to be on when I play, at least a comfortable level. It hurts my eyes too much to play in complete darkness.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

I use a Razer Blackwidow Chroma (with all the lighting turned off).

No Caption Provided

Love the clicky keys they don't feel exactly like a Selectric/original IBM PC keyboard (or the Northgate Omnikey which gave up the ghost after 35 years and my wife still uses) but it feels good to type on.

OvenJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamesyfx said:

Never had a yearning for a mechanical keyboard, so I use a Corsair K55 RGB.

The keys feel nice, they press nice, and spring back up nice. Does the job.

It does have RGB loosely speaking - it has 3 sectors which can change color, it's not per-key lighting. The lighting isnt that great, and sometimes it stays on in it's 'Rainbow Wave mode' when the PC is off which is distracting and can't be switched off in that state. So I keep it turned off. Keys are still readable in low light without it on.

You put a good point here and i also admire of Corsair Though When I wanted to purchase the mechanical keyboard I roamed the electronics shops to find them with different switches and see how they feel like and from my experience nothing really felt as nice to me as Logitech's Romer-G key switches. I got a well discounted G810 Orion and basically fell in love with it, they are tactile, they are consistent and quieter than Cherries.

One thing you have to mind when choosing a keyboard is that they can get quite big, especially if it's a full one with the keypad.

Another would be the cable (how long is it, is it protected) and if the keyboard has slots and jacks for connecting other devices if you feel that it might prove useful to you

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.