Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killer Instinct

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 22, 2013

The fighting game series that defined high-risk, high-reward combos returns as a free-to-play launch title for the Xbox One, later receiving constant updates with new characters and game modes. It can also be played on Windows 10 systems with cross-platform multiplayer.

Killer Instinct Season 3 available now

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mrcraggle

Season 3 is now available (or should be) for Xbox One and PC. There are a few bundles but "Best value" for new players would be the top choice. This gives new players all the characters from the previous 2 seasons in addition to those in season 3 as well as costumes, coins and what have you. I'm a complete n00b but seeing how disappointing the reaction to SFV has been, it's great to see another fighter come along.

For those wondering about the PC version, it is indeed a Windows 10 store exclusive and as such has the limitations that have yet to be addressed so you have your v-sync lock or anything like that. A lot of the graphical options are also pretty limited to either on or off. There's no option for me to run at resolutions higher than my monitors maximum resolution which I'm guessing is another limitation of the Windows 10 store. But it's free to check out anyway and will set you back 21GB of harddrive space.

LordLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mrcraggle: You know, you'd think a first party Microsoft exclusive type game for the PC would support more PC only options. But I guess it isn't really a first party game. Still, the Windows store limitations are just stupid already. Should have been addressed within a month or two not over a year or more now. Plus, as with many people on Windows 10 (or Win 8 even) the store is completely broken on my rig and there's no way (yet) to fix it unless I format. And fuck that noise.

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Eh, I'll try it on Windows 10, can't say no to a free taste of the game, even if it is probably poorly optimized.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantical: Runs perfectly fine on my set up which is a couple of years old now but when you start the game it does say that they are working to improve optimisation past this initial release.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess I need the fall update to get games from the Windows store. How does one go about getting the fall update since Windows is telling me it's up to date.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess I need the fall update to get games from the Windows store. How does one go about getting the fall update since Windows is telling me it's up to date.

Can you tell me what version and OS build you're on?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrcraggle: I'm not entirely sure. In other people's screenshots when they're on the about page it has version and OS build. Mine just has Windows 10 Pro after edition and then a product ID.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By ez123

@hunkulese: I read that this media creation tool here is what you need for Windows updates. Not very intuativebecause it looks like it's for upgrading to windows 10 but I think it updates it as well.

@mrcraggle: The only full-screen option is borderless windowed, not "no option for borderless windowed".

I've only done a couple of cpu matches and some dojo but I'm very happy with performance. It's a great port, barring any online problems.

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ez123 said:

@hunkulese: I read that this media creation tool here is what you need for Windows updates. Not very intuativebecause it looks like it's for upgrading to windows 10 but I think it updates it as well.

I had to go through this, can confirm it works.

The game initially had some -serious- screen tearing issues, like, distractingly so. Normally fixing it through the NVidia control panel is easy enough but man, Microsoft really don't want you to find where the store apps are installed. Eventually found it and its now fixed.

Anyone know how to get the steam overlay to work with Windows apps? I really want to use my steam link to play this on the big TV without having to slum my way through desktop mode.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By ez123
    haekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man setting my monitor to 60hz everytime I want to launch it is kind of a bummer. Hope that high refresh rate bug gets fixed soon!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hah, this got me to finally upgrade my home pc to windows 10.

tried using my ps3/4 rap4 and wasn't recognized. granted i only booted it for like 5 min. worse comes to worst the ps4 to xbone adapter i have should work (which would be nice as it's pretty much obsolete for me now).

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By fram

Playing it now on Xbox while the PC version downloads. New lighting looks great, Arbiter is freaking HUGE and his theme music is awesome. Having a lot of fun experimenting with Kim Wu's moveset.

@l1ghtn1n wow that site looks fantastic! I'll check this out in some more detail for sure :D

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really hate this trend of fighting games being released on PC that only support Xinput sticks. At least it makes sense with a Microsoft-backed game to work in that way, but it's pretty rotten nevertheless. I'm not going to buy one of those converters and x360ce is a bit over my head?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummytreesap: x360ce is fairly simple actually. You just put the exe in the folder of the games executable and run it. It should ask to create a couple files, just click yes/ok. Then you should be able to map the buttons, there's a 360 pad graphic to help you. Then just save the profile and it should work at game launch. Ill agree its one more thing in the way, but at least you dont need one of the adapters.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By YummyTreeSap

@ripelivejam: Problem is, I can't quite wrap my head around the way the Windows Store installs stuff. They certainly don't make it intuitive. I can't manage to get access to my own WindowsApps folder, at least enough to put anything in there myself, and even then the Killer Instinct executable requires the container to even run, so I'm not sure if x360ce would even work if I could get it in the directory.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gundogan

@yummytreesap: Yea, no access to the folder is kinda silly, even when it's not on the main drive (which require you to go to the seperate settings menu in windows to change it, and then you can only change the drive with no subfolder settings).

Also, does running this game at a higher refresh rate/framerate (144hz monitor here) actually makes the game run faster? Or are the animations in this game just super fast? It looks weeeeird.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By dazzhardy

Much like Street Fighter V, I've had to use Joy 2 Key to get the game to play nice with my Hori Real Arcade Pro 4, but now that I've got it set up, its working nicely. Really don't like how Windows 10 store apps install though, it took some digging just to get a shortcut on my desktop, and I can't get the game running in steam with the overlay working :\

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: It does make the game run faster. I saw a few people talking about it on reddit last night.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@gundogan said:

@yummytreesap: Yea, no access to the folder is kinda silly, even when it's not on the main drive (which require you to go to the seperate settings menu in windows to change it, and then you can only change the drive with no subfolder settings).

Also, does running this game at a higher refresh rate/framerate (144hz monitor here) actually makes the game run faster? Or are the animations in this game just super fast? It looks weeeeird.

Yeah, it's pretty broken. The game is designed to run at 60hz. I don't know if this is Iron Galaxy's fault or the fault of Windows 10, but nothing in the game keeps it at 60fps. If you run your desktop at 144hz you are playing the game at 2.4x the normal speed of the game. All animations, menus, etc run at 2.4x speed.

When running the game at 60hz on a 144hz monitor you will have a massive horizontal tear in the middle of your screen because there is no vsync in the game.

This must be how Iron Galaxy makes PC games now, "You thought Batman ran like shit? Well, play this game at 2 1/2 times what you want! Deal with it!"

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voodoopc: It is a problem with the UWP app thing that Microsoft is doing, not Iron Galaxy. They have said it is something they will work on. Seems kind of dumb that this wasn't a feature from the get go considering vsync is a standard feature with PC gaming these days. The UWP thing also doesn't allow fullscreen or exclusive fullscreen. It can only do borderless fullscreen.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voodoopc: And Microsoft's singing along: 'Hey! All remember that hot garbage called GFWL? Here's the Windows Store for ya!'

Sad, because the game seems alright and well regarded.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Quantum Break isn't broken. Maybe Killer Instinct is a test case for the store. A failed test case.

*crosses fingers*

I guess at the very least I can play the Xbox One version since I have both.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking it looks purdy so far though i haven't had to deal with a 144hz monitor; sucks for those having issues. Reminded how awesome the training modes are, just hope it sticks with me. Feel it will be rough going between this and SFV.

Keep getting confused why people are angry about different companies having different game clients, though. Isn't it good to have some competition? Windows store is barebones but doesn't seem broken or awkward really. Think it's a little early to bring out the pitchforks.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By VooDooPC

@ripelivejam said:

Thinking it looks purdy so far though i haven't had to deal with a 144hz monitor; sucks for those having issues. Reminded how awesome the training modes are, just hope it sticks with me. Feel it will be rough going between this and SFV.

Keep getting confused why people are angry about different companies having different game clients, though. Isn't it good to have some competition? Windows store is barebones but doesn't seem broken or awkward really. Think it's a little early to bring out the pitchforks.

I've never understood the anger between different clients either. People complain about Uplay constantly, I've never had any issue with it.

Before Steam we had to actually open disk drives and change disks! Sometimes we even had multiple disks PER GAME! People that complain about having to open a different digital client now would have never lasted back then.

As for the 144hz issues, Gamespot posted an article not long ago about Phil Spencer saying they plan to fix the GSYNC/Freesync/Vsync issue in May.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-on-pc-gaming-weve-heard-the-feedback-lou/1100-6436148/

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At Build today, Phil Spencer took to the stage and said they're addressing a lot of problems in an update in May and more in the new Windows 10 Anniversary update and will say more still at E3. The May update will include the ability to disable V-Sync as well as support for G-sync and Freesync monitors. Modding, overlays and more are likely to come with the W10 update this Summer.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gundogan

@ripelivejam: I have no problems with different game clients, as long as they work. The Windows Store did/does have problems like not being able to access or download your game (without any form of refund). And all of the Windows Store games are limited in terms of installation options, vsync, framerate, overlays and such. Not being able to uninstall it or even turn the damn thing off (it always runs in the background) doesn't help either (although these are minor problems of course).

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voodoopc: I'm probably the exception and not the norm, but Uplay is a total fucking disaster on my PC. Launching it takes several minutes, and it has a habit of crashing completely if Steam is open. It also likes to cause issues with my mouse drivers, if I close the client and then put my computer to sleep, when I wake my PC up the mouse won't function, period. I've tried a clean install, reinstalling mouse drivers, and removing windows updates that affect xinput, but still have these issues.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if the game supports SLI/Crossfire? It was originally reported that Windows Store games didn't support it but MS came out and said that it does and that the game needs to enable it but for whatever reason the Steam version did while the Windows Store version did not. I really hope they do add exclusive fullscreen support at some point. When I originally posted, I got things confused. Windows Store versions run games in Fullscreen borderless.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha I am actually running into a freaking headache trying to install this game. It seems like my build of Windows 10 never upgraded when the previous builds were being released over the past year so I still have the stock build of Windows 10 in place. I've probably come to the point where I may need to do a clean install of my pc just to get Killer Instinct to work.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy, now i actually have to engage with the Windows Store. And... it's a nightmare already.
    Every app except for Solitaire says there's a 0X80072EFD connection error and just refuses to download. I've gone through all the SFC and DISM options already (bricked 2 accounts with that in the past so i was already dreading trying to download KI).

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: I think me and you might be having the same issue. My error is basically tied to not having the latest build on hand, which Windows 10 keeps on saying I'm up to date when really I am not.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got finished with Microsoft technical support because I couldn't download the game. I thought it was because my Windows machine wasn't up to date, but that isn't the issue. Apparently the dev's have pulled the game from the store (yet the link is still up) because the game is such a hot-mess.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: yeah I've had problems with windows update doing that before, but when i caved in and made another fresh account it seemed to finally be solved. KI seems to stop the downloading process right as it attempts to retrieve the licence.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By monetarydread

@i_stay_puft: I am sure that has something to do with it. I spent an hour with tech support (xbox and windows store) and nobody could figure out what was wrong. Apparently it is disabled for them as well, so they asked their supervisor and was told that the developers have pulled the game because it wasn't working properly. At least that is the excuse that I received from them.... I wish I did a screen grab before I closed the window.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: If you download the media creation tool, it'll update Windows for you.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: thanks man I had issues with the media tool yesterday but finally got it working and updating as we speak.

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Quantical

Finally got around to trying the Windows 10 version, runs perfectly for me. I was assuming that it was going to run like crap but it's fine. Probably because I have an ancient Samsung 60hz monitor and not one of those fancy 144hz ones. One of those would be wasted on my PC anyway.

Hajitorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hajitorus

This game is bad because I can't do a dragon punch on my busted PS4 controller on PC so I almost ordered an arcade stick before I finally realised what I was doing. This game is good because it's really fucking good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.