Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Kinect and working out. Anyone?

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By RIDEBIRD

So, I've been thinking about getting a Kinect simply for the purposes of working out. Yes, I could go to the gym, thank you, I really, really don't want to though - I hate it. I'm a lazy bastard.

Am I lying to myself thinking that a video game could actually make me work out? I think I might, and I also think it might work. Simply because it gives you the ever so important feedback during your exercise since it's interactive, and also because I could do it in my home. My main purpose with the work out would be to lose weight, since I'm 6.3/189 cm and weigh 230 pounds/105 kg, which is at least 20 kg too much. I'm chubby, and I know that if I don't do anything about it (I've been weighing this for a good year now, stable, no gain) I won't only look terrible next summer, I will be risking my health as I get older (I'm 22). 

Has anyone tried it with good results? If so, what ''game'' did you use, and did it work well? 

Appreciate all feedback except go running, go to the gym, get off your lazy ass and stop playing video games. I know very well I could do those things with motivation and self discipline, which I lack regarding working out. Tricking my brain into believing I'm not working out, just playing video games, is something I think could work.

Upfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Upfish

I got a Kinect for basically the same reason. I've only had it for a week so I can't really report back any "results" yet, I can say that you can get a great workout with it. I've worked up a huge sweat and woken up sore from playing Dance Central and even Kinect Adventures on the more advanced settings can be a tiring experience.  

Like any workout, it will only help you if you stick with it, which is my biggest problem. I have a Wii Fit too and I just get so bored with that game that I can't keep playing day after day. I've played Dance Central for at least a half hour every day since I got it. I think the one thing I needed to finally get some exercise was achievements for doing so :) 

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By stinky

don't get a kinect for this reason. 
    it just will not work for you, at no fault of the actual device. 
    you will get bored of the games and thus end your desire to workout.  its just a fact with any game.

one of the best reasons for going to a gym is that your couch and fridge aren't 5 feet away, you would have to have super human control of yourself for the kinect to be effective.    

as a person who works out, i think free weights and machines are vital, not just cardio.  biggest complaint about cardio, it can be BOOORING. 
    (thank god for the bombcast and headphones.)

yeah you dont want to hear it, but there is no magic bullet.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RIDEBIRD
    @Upfish said:
    " I got a Kinect for basically the same reason. I've only had it for a week so I can't really report back any "results" yet, I can say that you can get a great workout with it. I've worked up a huge sweat and woken up sore from playing Dance Central and even Kinect Adventures on the more advanced settings can be a tiring experience.   Like any workout, it will only help you if you stick with it, which is my biggest problem. I have a Wii Fit too and I just get so bored with that game that I can't keep playing day after day. I've played Dance Central for at least a half hour every day since I got it. I think the one thing I needed to finally get some exercise was achievements for doing so :)  "
    Nice. Yeah, Dance Central might do the trick. When I had DDR for my Xbox a few years ago I played that every day and lost some weight. 
    @stinky said:
    " don't get a kinect for this reason. it just will not work for you, at no fault of the actual device. you will get bored of the games and thus end your desire to workout.  its just a fact with any game. one of the best reasons for going to a gym is that your couch and fridge aren't 5 feet away, you would have to have super human control of yourself for the kinect to be effective.    as a person who works out, i think free weights and machines are vital, not just cardio.  biggest complaint about cardio, it can be BOOORING. (thank god for the bombcast and headphones.) yeah you dont want to hear it, but there is no magic bullet. "
    Boredom might indeed set in. I don't really see how my couch and fridge impacts anything however. What do you mean? It's not like I'm gonna play for five minutes and go eat or something, the only reason why I'm not fatter is because I have self discipline regarding pretty much everything except working out. Cardio is indeed boring, but doing it in a video game is exactly the reason for me thinking about it - since it's more fun. I don't like lifting weights at all, and it's not want I want. Every time I start going to the gym I do the same damn thing, which is work out for 2-3 times a week with free weights following a strict regiment. Then I go like that for about 1,5 months, with absolutely no visible results except I can lift some more. I don't find that fulfilling at all, since I hate it.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Rattle618

Just find something that you enjoy doing and set goals for yourself, both long term and short term. It´ll be hard and it will hurt, you´ll want to quit and then you´ll reaaally want to quit; don´t.  
    I´ve always hated the gym too, for me it was martial arts what did the trick, but it can be anything really, as long as you are ending up tired as shit and you stick to it.
    If you can somehow link the kinect to your motivation it will work, if not well...

Keen_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Keen_12

Get it. While the exercises aren't the most effective (don't get me wrong, these programs are good) it will help push you towards doing better exercise. It's a good jumping off point albeit an expensive one but if you're interested give it a shot.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

Get it, get Dance Central, that's a great cardio workout, and you only need to play like 30 minutes a day or something, it's high intensity at almost any difficulty. 

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By ssj4raditz
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Get it, get Dance Central, that's a great cardio workout, and you only need to play like 30 minutes a day or something, it's high intensity at almost any difficulty.  "
    Truth here.
    Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @Ertard: 
    I've been working-out for about a year now, it was my 2010 new years revelation. I've lost 82lbs so far, down from 286lbs (I saw that I was almost 300lbs and I said "fuck that"), so now i weigh 204lbs and I feel a lot better, I've still got about 25lbs to go though. 

Anyways enough about me, I bought a Kinect for the purpose of mixing up my cardio routine. Running on a treadmill gets really boring after a while. Dance Central was a great replacement. It's a really good workout and a pretty fun game. It's the only Kinect game I'd ever recommend.

Your Shape is kinda meh. My problems with Your Shape is that I can't build my own routines or anything. Like I said I've been working-out for almost a year now and I like to think that I know what I'm talking about and I like the freedom of being able to do whatever exercise I want whenever I want. With Your Shape I found that it had me doing redundant exercises. It was almost all squats and lunges, which are great exercises but you need variety. I think I could plan a better routine that suits my personal goals, etc.

The one thing I really do like about Your Shape is the boxing classes. They are fun and if you have some dumbbells you can get a really good workout. Other than that Your Shape really isn't good. It's impressive at first but after a week you realize that it's really not very good. 

So basically I wouldn't recommend a Kinect. Invest in some Dumbbells and an exercise mat instead. Do lots of sit-ups, squats, crunches, etc. There are loads of sites with free exercises that will explain them better than Your Shape or any Kinect game. Also RUNNING AND WALKING are really good for you. Go for a run or a nice walk, you'll enjoy it.

Like a said before Dance Central is pretty awesome but ask yourself is it worth $200? Will you even play it that often? I stopped using my Kinect when Assassin's Creed Brotherhood came out. I'd rather keep video games and exercising as two separate things for now.  

Goodluck with whatever you decide, and here are some free pro tips:

Drink a lot of cold water, it fills you up without the calories.
    Try chewing gum, it helped me fight hunger cravings.
    always have a really hearty and nutritious breakfast 
    and last but not least, DO NOT buy a Kinect.

PS. In regard to lifting free weights. The more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn. Weights are just as important as cardio, they can help you lose weight too.

and one more thing, working-out is boring as shit most of the time. That's why I like working out with friends. If you want to get in shape then you have to have the will, there's no magic video game to get around that. Even dancing gets old after awhile.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss

I have Dance Central and Your Shape.

I was certainly getting a lot of exercise when I first got Dance Central what with me and my wife playing it for like hours a night. Like any other game it's slowed down since but we still tend to hit a couple songs a day so it's not "a lot" of exercise but it still draws sweat, and some is better than none.

As for Your Shape, I can't promise I'll stick with it but I can say it's been tearing me up enough to know that if I do, it should work. It's kinda like using a workout tape that tells you when your form and/or timing is not correct - an important element that videos lack.

@Keen_12

said:

While the exercises aren't the most effective (don't get me wrong, these programs are good) it will help push you towards doing better exercise. It's a good jumping off point albeit an expensive one but if you're interested give it a shot. "

This is a pretty solid position on the whole thing. Not as good as a gym or developed fitness regimen but better than a video, and obviously much better than nothing at all :) 
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By agentboolen
    @Ertard:  I know you don't want to hear this but its only $10 a month to join Planet Fitness, if you have one around you should check it out.  They got this thing called a elliptical there actually kind of fun (especially if you get a hot chick using one in front of you, its good motivation and fun watching her ass move lol), not to mention 20 minutes on this thing will do more for you then 20 minutes on Wii Fit or this Kinect game. Plus its also a good place to hit on girls   ;)
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I haven't played with the Kinect myself but games like Dance Central and Your Shape look like genuinely good work-outs.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By melcene
    @Ertard: From personal experience - Working out with a video game takes just as much dedication as working out with videos or anything else like that.  I did lose 10lbs one summer doing WiiFit, but I was actually good about doing it religiously pretty much every day as soon as I got up.
    Vacancy009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vacancy009

It pretty much comes down to what motivates you.   If you get motivated for a while and it tapers off with traditional workouts its likely to do the same thing with Kinect.  That said there are some plus sides to Kinect  aside from Dance Central for cardio.  The EA active and Fitness evolved track your form pretty well which can serve to motivate you to get 100% on all the exercises while learning good form and technique.  With good form and technique your body should eventually hurt less from exercise and the results of the exercise should be more visible.  That might help you stick with it a little bit longer and at the very least if you get bored and decide to move on again knowing good form and technique will help you with other exercise regimens.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By valrog
    @melcene said:
    " @Ertard: From personal experience - Working out with a video game takes just as much dedication as working out with videos or anything else like that.  I did lose 10lbs one summer doing WiiFit, but I was actually good about doing it religiously pretty much every day as soon as I got up. "
    Yes, but working out with video games is so much more fun than watching videos.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Thanks for all the awesome feedback. I still haven't decided. Truth be told I don't even have a 360 any longer, so I'd have to get one - which wouldn't be only for Kinect and working out, of course, but also for work and console gaming. 

@Rattle618:
    The main issue is I don't enjoy traditional workouts. At all. In fact, I hate it, and can't motivate myself to do it regardless of reward. Whenever I've done it for longer periods I've been seriously depressed and used it as really good therapy, and gladly I'm not now. And as you said, KInect might work to motivate me, still not sure though.

@The_Philosopher:
    I drink about 3 liters of water every day and has so been doing for the last 10 years. Yeah, it works. Chewing gum makes you hungrier, but hey, whatever works for ya. I always eat breakfast. The problem is not what I eat, at all. I can eat anything with some restraints, and have no issue with discipline here, and I don't gain weight. In order to lose weight and still continue eating like this I would have to work out - that's the issue. Everyone in my family is fat, even those who work out or have physically demanding jobs, the only reason why I don't get fatter is because I eat properly. Regarding running and walking, I'm a smoker (yeah that might be a bigger issue then weight, I know that :D) and can't hold out for long without coughing up a lung. Also, I can't do it in the winter, I got a weird skin condition that makes my legs/body itch when it's cold (I live in Sweden) and I get warm, with the itch being so powerful I want to scratch my skin off and has so done in the past, with scars to prove it. TL;DR:  I eat ok and the issue is I'm a lazy unmotivated bastard when it comes to exercise. 

@ProfessorEss: Sounds good across the board, and seeing what people wrote here I will probably just get Dance Central if I end up doing this whole thing.

@agentboolen: Don't live in the US and the closest one is around 300km from here, but I guess all of it applies to any gym with group workouts. Not for me, but thanks for the tip. 

@melcene: Yup, I do realize that.. But as Valrog says the feedback might make it work better. 

@Vacancy009: Thanks for the nice tips :) 

Now to a more important issue I hadn't even considered. Am I totally fucked regarding the Kinect if I don't have enough space? The most I could get from my TV is probablty 10-15 feet / 3-4,5m, live in a small student apartment. Anyone that's tried it in such a small space? I could do the exercise, it's just that the whole Kinect-detector thing might be too close. Am I screwed?

The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @Ertard: 
    There are other ways to be fit besides working-out. You should try different things like sports or maybe getting out in nature. I personally don't really like sports all that much, but I do leave in an area surrounded by hills and forest so I can go on great hikes or snow-shoe journeys whenever. We've been getting less snow this year (only about 50-60cm on on my lawn right now and the roads are completely clear) so I haven't gotten out yet. 
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RIDEBIRD
    @The_Philosopher: Indeed. Sports could be cool, been thinking about basketball, there's groups close to me for that. 

And as I said, with my leg itch thing, walking/hiking/running when it's cold is completely unbearable for me :( Might start taking walks again when it gets warmer, in like four months.  

Til then, I think I'm gonna start doing yoga again and skip the Kinect. Feeling kinda pumped, and hopefully I can keep it up. I do really appreciate all the feedback regarding this, and if I get myself a 360 and Kinect in the coming months I'll be sure to report any results.
    For those interested in the yoga, check this out:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf1MtRZx_J4&feature=channel 
    Not only is it great and great exercise, Sadie Nardini is stupid hot. Watch yourself though and don't overdo it. If it hurts, you're very likely doing it wrong - stop.
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @Ertard: 
    Your welcome. Good luck with the basketball and Yoga. I've heard good things about Yoga, never tried it though maybe I'll give it a whirl someday. As for Kinect I think it's wise to wait for a little while. I'm hoping Kinect will get better over the next year, I find the hardware to be great, the software is whats holding it back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.