Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Kinect fasting selling electronic device ever?

Gre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Gre

Apparently motion control sells well, just not to people who use this website.  I'd never dream of getting one, but according to an article on the BBC site, the Kinect has been certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the fastest selling electronics device ever.  It sold faster than the iPad or anything else.   The article also says that they've sold 10 million games.

Gaz Davies, editor of Guinness World Records 2011 Gamer's Edition, said: "We can confirm that no other consumer electronics device sold faster within a 60-day time span, an incredible achievement considering the strength of the sector."

Guinness World Records said that Microsoft sold eight million devices between 4 November last year and 3 January at an average rate of 133,333 a day.

I really thought the Kinect was a bad idea (for gaming).  There are some neat things going on with hacked Kinects, but the idea of "controller-less" gaming just seems too imprecise and silly to me.  But apparently there are kids out there begging their parents for a Kinect so they can play the sports game or the animal game or whatever.

Edit with link to article: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12697975
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By monetarydread

I bought a kinect on day one. I think gaming without a controller has is incredibly fun. It has limitations though, yet so does a controller, mouse, keyboard, touch, and traditional motion controllers (wii, move). I am just excited that it sold as well as it did. I hope this means that developers will take notice and start to develop more games for the platform.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

That's insane. Now devs will see this and start making actually good games for it because nothing out there right now has me interested in it. Gunstringer and Child of Eden do look like fun though and apparently the controls for both are very accurate

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By niall_sg1

Pretty insane that the 10 million games are ones that are sold separately, so doesn't include kinect adventures. Guess their gonna start making more kinect games then..

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By keyhunter

Everyone I know with an XBOX 360 other than myself has a Kinect. None of them actually use it however.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

At least 3 of my 35 xbox friends have one now. One of those dudes is a co-worker I actually know. This whole kinect thing is ridiculous!

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Jadeskye

yeah it's amazing how well that thing sold, i don't have one myself because i'm waiting for the next generation of kinect games that hopefully iron out some of the current jank.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.