Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Awesome Kingdoms of Amalur Preview Video from Machinima

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Every now and then I sweep youtube to find new videos on games I wait on... and lookie there. Some dudes over at machinima posted a 30 minute preview video of the build that's floating around the enthusiast press. There's like a boss fight right at the start and things get hairy right away. Granted - that dude wasn't on his A-game right there, but it looks like Amalur is gonna get way more challenging in the combat department. I'm deffo gonna turn hard difficulty on to make player skill more key to the experience.

The boss itself reminds me alot of the demons in Claymore (an anime show), with the stretchy limbs and that. Excited!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Very excited as well but I almost wanna hold off.. I'll have just bought Final Fantasy XIII-2 the week before and don't know if I need to go through two RPG's at once. I'm really relieved that the demo is a old build because its pretty glitchy. I played it a second time and my character didn't have a head!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

eeesh the camera still seems terrible.

But it does look better then the demo visual wise.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Karkarov

will have to check out this video tomorrow. 10-12 hour shifts suck for the record. Regardless looking forward to this game, it has some potential.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli

@Tennmuerti said:

Just got Space Marine and the camera reminds me a lot of it. Of course there shooting and aiming is a big part of the experience, so I'm ontop of that camera anyways. In melee, this type of camera is visually a lot more interesting and cinematic, because lots of it happens in my face. If I'm not hounding the camera all the time to give me the best awareness, fighting into the camera (and all other angles) is happening quite often. I find I can totally perform what I need to, as long as I have the confidence to act despite my lack awareness due to the camera. It works. And I'm visually neckdeep in Ork Guts. It's less videogamey and much more visually impressive. Kinda like an impressionistic camera rather than a functional camera. As long as it works well enough with the mechanics. So be it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Just got Space Marine and the camera reminds me a lot of it. Of course there shooting and aiming is a big part of the experience, so I'm ontop of that camera anyways. In melee, this type of camera is visually a lot more interesting and cinematic, because lots of it happens in my face. If I'm not hounding the camera all the time to give me the best awareness, fighting into the camera (and all other angles) is happening quite often. I find I can totally perform what I need to, as long as I have the confidence to act despite my lack awareness due to the camera. It works. And I'm visually neckdeep in Ork Guts. It's less videogamey and much more visually impressive. Kinda like an impressionistic camera rather than a funcitonal camera. As long as it works well enough with the mechanics. So be it.

I totally did not notice anything off about the camera in Space Marine when playing it. It was pretty much perfect. It never got too close like it's default position in Amalur nor did it get annoyingly too far like it can sometimes. It also lacks any proper auto adjustment in Amalur if you are using a controller, making it often stay too close to the ground (it even clipped threough world terrain in that video). Thirdly the range on melee in SM is small, in Amalur the combination of many abilities/moves/comboes that have large areas and ranges and the incradibly close up camera gats annoying. That never happened in SM.

I seriously could not play Amalur with a mouse due to the close up camera making me physically uncomfortable when moving it around :(

Had no such problem in SM.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Just got Space Marine and the camera reminds me a lot of it. Of course there shooting and aiming is a big part of the experience, so I'm ontop of that camera anyways. In melee, this type of camera is visually a lot more interesting and cinematic, because lots of it happens in my face. If I'm not hounding the camera all the time to give me the best awareness, fighting into the camera (and all other angles) is happening quite often. I find I can totally perform what I need to, as long as I have the confidence to act despite my lack awareness due to the camera. It works. And I'm visually neckdeep in Ork Guts. It's less videogamey and much more visually impressive. Kinda like an impressionistic camera rather than a funcitonal camera. As long as it works well enough with the mechanics. So be it.

I totally did not notice anything off about the camera in Space Marine when playing it. It was pretty much perfect. It never got too close like it's default position in Amalur nor did it get annoyingly too far like it can sometimes. It also lacks any proper auto adjustment in Amalur if you are using a controller, making it often stay too close to the ground (it even clipped threough world terrain in that video). Thirdly the range on melee in SM is small, in Amalur the combination of many abilities/moves/comboes that have large areas and ranges and the incradibly close up camera gats annoying. That never happened in SM.

I seriously could not play Amalur with a mouse due to the close up camera making me physically uncomfortable when moving it around :(

Had no such problem in SM.

Yeah - the FOV is too narrow. Took some getting used to. Hoping PC players can adjust it somehow. Feels like a FOV of 50 or something silly like that. Literally like a horse wearing blinders. Anything less than 65 is just too low. Not gonna stop me though.

Space Marine just has that same type of camera, but better executed. The camera doesn't automatically cover your back, but rather stays static when engaging in melee combat.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Karkarov

@Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Yeah - the FOV is too narrow. Took some getting used to. Hoping PC players can adjust it somehow. Feels like a FOV of 50 or something silly like that. Literally like a horse wearing blinders. Anything less than 65 is just too low. Not gonna stop me though.

Space Marine just has that same type of camera, but better executed. The camera doesn't automatically cover your back, but rather stays static when engaging in melee combat.

After watching the video above I am happy I went ahead and paid off my preorder already. Hasn't been a solid action RPG in months. I agree with those dudes though, skyrim comparisons are silly, it is not the same style of game and plays completely differently. They are both RPG's, they are both fantasy, both are "medieval" based with lots of area to explore, both got lots of story, and that is it. The gameplay and approach are nothing alike.

I agree control wise though. Hopefully there will be gamepad support or the ability to pull the camera further back on pc.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli

@Karkarov:

The 360 gamepad is perfectly supported on PC. I'm sure there'll be some .ini-file value we can change to increase FoV. Question is, if they'll have it out of the box in the menus.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By fini_fly

Burney Stabbers!

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karkarov

@Seppli said:

@Karkarov:

The 360 gamepad is perfectly supported on PC. I'm sure there'll be some .ini-file value we can change to increase FoV. Question is, if they'll have it out of the box in the menus.

Good question, the pc version of the demo did not have the option but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

orange_pork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By orange_pork

Are there still multiplatform PC games that don't support 360 controllers?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.