Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

The Final Score 76 - Amalur Centric Podcast /w Curt Schilling

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

So thanks to another KoA:R thread up in here and an innocent plug of the Frogpants Network (which does a bunch of great podcasts) by Driadon, I stumbled over the Final Score podcast episode 76. Big Huge Games big bad and famous baseball veteran Curt Schilling droppin' some knowledge on Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning and all that it entails. Just wanted to share that here for all you enthusiasts and ethusiastic haters.

Enjoy! And discover the Frogpants Network's podcast treasure trove. It's worth it.

kiwi_whisker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kiwi_whisker

Interesting interview. Like a lot of their stuff, it seemed a little "mastabatory masturbatory". But its always nice to see (or in this case hear) people jazzed up about their work.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

At first I thought the title meant the game got a 76 from some review site...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Seppli

@kiwi_whisker said:

Interesting interview. Like a lot of their stuff, it seemed a little "mastabatory". But its always nice to see (or in this case hear) people jazzed up about their work.

I think masterbation (I spelled that right didn't I) is a natural and beautiful thing. It's a great thing if your thing works for you and pleases you as greatly.

I'm positive I'll be overjoyed too and not feel boned. *knocks on wood*

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Blind_Evil

Masturbation.

I listened to the interview, pretty good. My most interesting takeaway was Schilling's comment that they had submitted the first piece of DLC to EA for approval, and EA's response was that it was too much content for the money. It'd be easy to think he's just blowing smoke, but that actually says something kind of insidious about EA's policies. I doubt he was "supposed" to say that.

kiwi_whisker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kiwi_whisker

I think they forgot they were on air there for a while, it became two friends talking. I'm still unsure if I'm picking this up at launch, or waiting for a $10 cut a month later. The demo has me interested...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

Oh wow I did not think the dev could be more full of himself then they were on the GB podcast, but damn...

Combat as deep as God of War?

The next Middle Earth?

95 avarage on metacritic?

Jesus.

They are the only company that are gamers making games for gamers.. never heard that one before lol :)

And the dude that was interviewing him could not be any less objective, he was practically gushing praise from every direction.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#8  Edited By Kidavenger

@Tennmuerti said:

Oh wow I did not think the dev could be more full of himself then they were on the GB podcast, but damn...

The next Middle Earth?

Jesus.

And the dude that was interviewing him could not be any less objective, he was practically gushing praise from every direction.

Everything you said is true, but the middle earth and metacritic comments where clearly hopes of theirs; not something they necessarily expect, and they did explain that they were good friends and that they were not exactly objective when looking at something they were so close to. This is practically the same situation as Giant Bomb with Bastion.

It's really just nice to hear someone speak from the heart about their first game, without all of the marketing bull that normally comes from these.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Kidavenger said:

@Tennmuerti said:

The next Middle Earth?

Jesus.

Everything you said is true, but the middle earth and metacritic comments where clearly hopes of theirs; not something they necessarily expect, and they did explain that they were good friends and that they where not exactly objective when looking at something they were so close to. This is practically the same situation as Giant Bomb with Bastion.

It's really just nice to hear someone speak from the heart about their first game, without all of the marketing bull that normally comes from these.

Except that this is practically marketing bull.

They are putting in huge efforts into marking this game through podcasts, comentators, etc. Self addmited.

As far as the dude who was doing the interview goes, he said several times that he looked at the game regadless of their friendship status, he was specifically making a point that he was supposedly talking about it objectively. Otherwise I would not have had a problem with it in the first place.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Subjugation

@xyzygy said:

At first I thought the title meant the game got a 76 from some review site...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli

@Tennmuerti said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Tennmuerti said:

The next Middle Earth?

Jesus.

Everything you said is true, but the middle earth and metacritic comments where clearly hopes of theirs; not something they necessarily expect, and they did explain that they were good friends and that they where not exactly objective when looking at something they were so close to. This is practically the same situation as Giant Bomb with Bastion.

They are putting in huge efforts into marking this game through podcasts, comentators, etc. Self addmited.

As far as the dude who was doing the interview goes, he said several times that he looked at the game regadless of their friendship status, he was specifically making a point that he was supposedly talking about it objectively. Otherwise I would not have had a problem with it in the first place.

Dude - Schilling's the money man. Got this thing started with his baseball pro career cash. Moneymen got to sell their vision. That's what he set out to achieve with his and his investors money. From his point of view, knowing the entire product intimately, he feels his enterprise succeeded. At least sufficiently to stand by it the way he does. Seeing how pouring one's own millions into a project would make anyone biased, I don't fault him for his enthusiasm. Also - I believe they actually have made a game I want to play, so I can easily excuse the grandstanding. I'd likely do just the same if I went and started such an enterprise and succeeded in getting my product to market after all.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

@Seppli: Well said sir. I mean, if the creators of the product can't be excited about the product they are trying to sell you that doesn't speak very highly of the product does it?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Tennmuerti said:

The next Middle Earth?

Jesus.

Dude - Schilling's the money man. Got this thing started with his baseball pro career cash. Moneymen got to sell their vision. That's what he set out to achieve with his and his investors money. From his point of view, knowing the entire product intimately, he feels his enterprise succeeded. At least sufficiently to stand by it. Seeing how pouring one's own millions into a project would make anyone biased, I don't fault him for his enthusiasm. Also - I believe they actually have made a game I want to play, so I can easily excuse the grandstanding. I'd likely do just the same if I went and started such an enterprise and succeeding in getting my product to market after all.

Just because someone has a lot invested in something money wise or time wise, does not make it ok for me to simply nod and believe what they are saying now does it? Especially when I believe what they are saying is utter bullshit (GoW, Middle Earth, 95%), said during an effort to market and sell the game. It's a valid excuse for Schilling's enthusiasm. Nothing more then that.

I actually kind of like Reconing and already pre ordered it. But their marketing is disgusting me at every turn, be it in podcasts or the omg we are so amazing and unique "developer diaries".

It's the same way Todd Howard disgusts me, because he constantly lies and tells exagerated bullshit about every next ES game. Remember how they were marking that Skyrim was so incredible and dynamic that as just an example you could set the forest on fire, thereby putting the wood mill out of business and the entire towns economy would suffer...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Demoskinos said:

@Seppli: Well said sir. I mean, if the creators of the product can't be excited about the product they are trying to sell you that doesn't speak very highly of the product does it?

They why should we ever listen to anything a creator of the product says? If everything they say is always going to be only praise, or plain marketing lies.

There are plenty of developers out there that don't try to overhype their products with ridiculous claims.

@Kidavenger said:

This is practically the same situation as Giant Bomb with Bastion.

I ask you this:

Did the Bastion dudes go around everywhere and shouted to everyone who would listen that "omg our gaem is AMAZING you guys, everything is perfect, never been done before, yet it's like everything you already know and do but better, 95 metacritic you guyz fo sho" ...seriously?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By musubi

@Tennmuerti said:

@Demoskinos said:

They why should we ever listen to anything a creator of the product says? If everything they say is always going to be only praise, or plain marketing lies.

There are plenty of developers out there that don't try to overhype their products with ridiculous claims.

@Kidavenger said:

I ask you this:

Did the Bastiaon dudes go around everyewhere and shouted to everyone who would listen that "omg our gaem is AMAZING you guys, everything is perfect, never been done before, yet it's like everything you already know and do but better, 95 metacritic you guyz fo sho" ...seriously?

And why should we automatically assume just because they are praising it its marketing spin?

kiwi_whisker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kiwi_whisker

@Demoskinos: In this case its definitely both. We as educated gamers just have to be smart enough to separate the fluff from the facts in such discourse.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Demoskinos said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Kidavenger said:

I ask you this:

Did the Bastiaon dudes go around everyewhere and shouted to everyone who would listen that "omg our gaem is AMAZING you guys, everything is perfect, never been done before, yet it's like everything you already know and do but better, 95 metacritic you guyz fo sho" ...seriously?

And why should we automatically assume just because they are praising it its marketing spin?

I never said that we should.

(but in this particular case, if you are asking about that, he straight up says so himself, that this is them trying to market the game on podcasts, secondly he makes several claims that are blatant marketing hyperboles)

PS: furthermore there is a very thick line between being excited for your product and making it out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Blind_Evil

What the fuck do you expect? "Nah dudes, our game's just okay, maybe pick it up for $25 down the road somewhere."

Jeff said something a while back that I wish forum dwellers would come to grips with - business is gonna do what business does. If they don't market, they don't sell. If you don't believe any of it, don't buy it. But don't damn them for trying. It may seem bombastic and loud to us, but we're psychotics that spend 3 hours a day looking at gaming websites. They're marketing hard to reach the people that spend a half hour per month on gaming websites.

I've enjoyed the demo and haven't heard anything negative about the game from journalists I trust, including Brad, who was pretty stoked on it a few months back. That's enough for me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Blind_Evil said:

What the fuck do you expect? "Nah dudes, our game's just okay, maybe pick it up for $25 down the road somewhere."

Jeff said something a while back that I wish forum dwellers would come to grips with - business is gonna do what business does. If they don't market, they don't sell. If you don't believe any of it, don't buy it. But don't damn them for trying. It may seem bombastic and loud to us, but we're psychotics that spend 3 hours a day looking at gaming websites. They're marketing hard to reach the people that spend a half hour per month on gaming websites.

I've enjoyed the demo and haven't heard anything negative about the game from journalists I trust, including Brad, who was pretty stoked on it a few months back. That's enough for me.

Funny how the majority of developers manage to come off reasonable about whats good about their games and not gush about it like its the second coming of gaming. /shrug

Also I can damn them all I want if marketing is downright deceptive. Some countries even have laws against that. Go figure. And regardless why should one not express displeasure with bad/deceptive/hyperbolic marketing, when one encounters it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.