Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

I feel a little sour after flat out failing a case.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

The interrogation stuff seems so unpredictable. I can never tell if someone is telling the truth or not. And then when you screw up so badly the game just gives you a result so you can keep going along with the story. I don't get what I am doing wrong. I pretty much get 0 on every interrogation. 

What is the "trick" that I am missing? 
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By donchipotle

The trick is reading people

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

If they don't move alot or do any sort of nervous gestures, just put truth. If they are moving slightly nervously, put doubt. Also if they look like they are pretending to be guilty moving around during mocap, then put lie after looking over your evidence first.

It's not a perfect system, guessing the lie is difficult.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Devil240Z
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    Thats not much to go on. 
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dtat
    @Devil240Z said:

The interrogation stuff seems so unpredictable. I can never tell if someone is telling the truth or not. And then when you screw up so badly the game just gives you a result so you can keep going along with the story. I don't get what I am doing wrong. I pretty much get 0 on every interrogation. 

What is the "trick" that I am missing? 
    If they look around, blink a lot, smirk, or shift around, they're lying.

I think they make it pretty obvious when someone is lying, but the only problem I run into is knowing whether a piece of evidence I have is sufficient to call them on it. 

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By thehexeditor

Don't be alarmed. You are probably not suffering from an autism-spectrum disorder.

Concentrate on the face, particularly the eyes. If the eyes are moving around, face shifting- it's most likely doubt UNLESS you have a clue that directly contradicts what they said
    If they are looking straight at you (no real movement going on with the face or eyes) or are looking worried for genuine reason (you told the neighbor lady the woman next door was murdered) it's probably truth.
    Whatever their face looks like, if what they say contradicts a clue you have (select to see the list, read the descriptions too), it's a lie. Remember people can lie while looking you straight in the face and not flinching.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By donchipotle
    @Devil240Z said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    Thats not much to go on. 

Everyone has a tell. If someone looks like they are averting their gaze and whatnot, chances are they are telling a lie. Look over your evidence to see if you can prove their lie. Otherwise doubt them.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Devil240Z

I think I need to shelve this game for a while and start over. Im too annoyed to keep playing. 

@VelvetLore04 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    Thats not much to go on. 
    Everyone has a tell. If someone looks like they are averting their gaze and whatnot, chances are they are telling a lie. Look over your evidence to see if you can prove their lie. Otherwise doubt them.
    So does that mean there can be two right answers? 
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By phish09
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    I agree, but the issue is these people aren't real.  They are actors, and hence, they are inherently lying.   I just don't think any of the actors are that good that you can't tell they are acting and because of that it basically always seems like they are lying, or at least it can be hard to differentiate when they are lying versus when they are acting...which are one in the same.  Maybe the problem I'm having with the game is that I'm too good at reading people and hence I can always see them lying because they all are by virtue of the fact they are acting.  Make sense?

That seems to be the problem I'm encountering anyway.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By donchipotle
    @phish09 said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    I agree, but the issue is these people aren't real.  They are actors, and hence, they are inherently lying.   I just don't think any of the actors are that good that you can't tell they are acting and because of that it basically always seems like they are lying, or at least it can be hard to differentiate when they are lying versus when they are acting...which are one in the same.  Maybe the problem I'm having with the game is that I'm too good at reading people and hence I can always see them lying because they all are by virtue of the fact they are acting.  Make sense?That seems to be the problem I'm encountering anyway.
    That sounds more like a personal problem
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#11  Edited By alistercat
    @Devil240Z said:
    I think I need to shelve this game for a while and start over. Im too annoyed to keep playing. 

@VelvetLore04 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    Thats not much to go on. 
    No. Doubt is just accusing of lying but without presenting proof. There's only one right answer.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kjellm87

Truth and lie would be enough for this game in my option, you still need to collect evidence and piece them together anyway.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

This really is one of those 'Use more skill' scenarios.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By phish09
    @VelvetLore04: I'm sure it is, but I can't be the only one having that issue.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Devil240Z
    @AlisterCat said:
    @Devil240Z said:

@VelvetLore04 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    Thats not much to go on. 
    No. Doubt is just accusing of lying but without presenting proof. There's only one right answer.
    That makes me think that Doubt and Lie are the same. I don't see the difference between the two. Other than the evidence part. Which I always seem to choose the wrong evidence. 
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By donchipotle
    @Devil240Z said:
    @AlisterCat said:
    @Devil240Z said:

@VelvetLore04 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    Thats not much to go on. 
    That makes me think that Doubt and Lie are the same. I don't see the difference between the two. Other than the evidence part. Which I always seem to choose the wrong evidence. 
    If you think someone knows more than they are letting on, try using Doubt. When you accuse someone of telling a lie, Cole pretty much tells you what piece of evidence you need to bust out to back your claim up. You can always press 'Lie', review the evidence and then back out if you don't think you have the right thing.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Devil240Z: Also I'd like to say that as a fan of the game I understand your frustration; walking away and coming back to it seems like a great idea.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Slaker117
    @phish09: This would be an issue if the game relied on subtlety. Most of the time, the difference between a truthful and lying character is pretty obvious. When telling the truth, they will have a steady gaze with little to no shifting and mouth movement. When lying almost always they will have darting eyes and a lot of lip pinching or smirking and occasionally change the way they hold their body. It's practically binary. The only real challenge is determining the need to use "lie" versus a "doubt", but that's determined by what evidence you have rather than the person's face.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By rjayb89

I just read the stuff in the instruction manual and I've been having some good luck so far. Missing maybe 1-2 questions per case since I did.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead

Some people in this thread must be aspergers, if not straight up autistic.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Driadon
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @AlisterCat said:
    @Devil240Z said:

@VelvetLore04 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    Thats not much to go on. 
    If you think someone knows more than they are letting on, try using Doubt. When you accuse someone of telling a lie, Cole pretty much tells you what piece of evidence you need to bust out to back your claim up. You can always press 'Lie', review the evidence and then back out if you don't think you have the right thing.
    That's pretty much what I've come down to. I've screwed up he's-lying-but-which-do-I-push so many times because I failed to do this.

Also, here's what you need to look for: confidence. If they look confident; they meet Cole's gaze then you're nearly guaranteed a Truth, anything else is either a Lie or a Doubt.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phish09
    @Slaker117: I get what you're saying.  Stop looking for subtle hints, but it just seems like that kind of breaks the game.  Like I'll think "that person is probably telling the truth, in the context of the game, but they aren't doing a decent job of convincing me, the player, that they are telling the truth".  I guess I'll just stop trying to look for those subtle things and if they are being shifty or stammering or whatever, then call them out.  My problem is that so far, (I'm only 3 cases in), I haven't hit "Truth" once becasue it they always sound unconvincing to me...but I'll start playing it more the way you are recommending and see if I have better luck.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Read their faces. Listen to how they talk to you. If you think they're telling the truth, they often tell you things straight up, without nervous 'uh's and 'er's. If you think they're lying, check your evidence. If you have nothing to prove they're lying, then just doubt them.

If you've ever had a normal conversation with a real life human being, this shouldn't be too hard.
    TomTheRealist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TomTheRealist
    @HandsomeDead: Well that's a little bit offensive.
    I'm having an easy time of it now, but only after simplifying it. I began the game thinking the characters would be more complex than the simple 'if their eyes move they're lying' jobby. So far I feel like I haven't come across a character that isn't completely readable simply by their eye contact. Surely some criminals are more capable of keeping eye contact than others? Especially nutters. 
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

God I really sucked at the  interrogation stuff for one of the Vice cases recently. I still caught the main guy but I had to let a lot of his underlings go. Once I beat the game I'm definitely going back to try that case again, and probably a lot of the others as well.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Devil240Z
    @HandsomeDead said:
    Thats not a very nice thing to say. 
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#27  Edited By alistercat
    @Driadon said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @AlisterCat said:
    @Devil240Z said:

@VelvetLore04 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    Thats not much to go on. 
    That's pretty much what I've come down to. I've screwed up he's-lying-but-which-do-I-push so many times because I failed to do this.

Also, here's what you need to look for: confidence. If they look confident; they meet Cole's gaze then you're nearly guaranteed a Truth, anything else is either a Lie or a Doubt.
    Also, ask the community of intuition point usage is awesome. It can be a gamble but a lot of people get it right.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Slaker117
    @phish09: It is easy to over think it. The game presents itself in a way that makes you want it to be less mechanical than it really is. Once you get over that and see the systems for what they are it becomes pretty simple.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phish09
    @Devil240Z said:
    @HandsomeDead said:
    That's true, but it's probably just his social anxiety disorder and depression causing him to post stuff like that, so it's best not to bug him too much,
    TomTheRealist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TomTheRealist
    @Slaker117 said:
    @phish09: It is easy to over think it. The game presents itself in a way that makes you want it to be less mechanical than it really is. Once you get over that and see the system for what they are it becomes pretty simple.
    Yeah, I absolutely agree.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @phish09 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @HandsomeDead said:
    That's true, but it's probably just his social anxiety disorder and depression causing him to post stuff like that, so it's best not to bug him too much,
    Is that the long winded way of admitting I got to you?
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Devil240Z
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    Read their faces. Listen to how they talk to you. If you think they're telling the truth, they often tell you things straight up, without nervous 'uh's and 'er's. If you think they're lying, check your evidence. If you have nothing to prove they're lying, then just doubt them.

If you've ever had a normal conversation with a real life human being, this shouldn't be too hard.
    Ive never interrogated someone before... 
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By phish09
    @HandsomeDead said:
    @phish09 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @HandsomeDead said:
    Not really...other than the fact that I do have a little cousin who is autistic...however, your reply does tell me that I'm right.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By Dagbiker
    @VelvetLore04 said:

I have  aspergers  so this is very difficult.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @phish09 said:
    @HandsomeDead said:
    @phish09 said:
    @Devil240Z said:
    @HandsomeDead said:
    Not really...other than the fact that I do have a little cousin who is autistic...however, your reply does tell me that I'm right.
    How, exactly, are you right? I got to you through a family member; you diagnosed me with bullshit through...?
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Beaudacious

Its not all about reading people, you have to think about the evidence! Read your notebook!! Everything a suspect says is important, reread your chat log. Evidence is an easy way to eliminate truth or lie, doubt more for pressing people who look nervous.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gonmog

Key word here is game. Remember that fact.  There is nothing in the game that you can not see patterns and how it works. And beat it. The actors are told to act in a very plain out way, in other words, they are not acting like they are trying to cover the fact up they just said a lie. 

I mean they look like what a 5 year old looks when they try to lie. Plain as day.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zabant
    @HandsomeDead: You needlessly insult people calling them autistic then get all uppity and on the defensive when you're called socially anxious. I think his point is proven.
    SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SuperBuster

Sometimes it can be hard to tell if a character is lying or not but that is usually only the case with characters that don't think like a normal person thinks but even with them there is a general rule of thumb: if they look at you without averting their gaze they are telling the truth. Of course there are many more complex tells but I've found this rule to be right pretty much all of the time. distinguishing doubt from the lie is also usually as easy as reviewing your evidence but sometimes the character's response and the correct response don't match. Sometimes Cole will lead the conversation one way but accuse the character of lying about a seemingly unrelated topic or evidence is more damning or less so than you thought. For instance, there was this one time I asked the husband about possible suspects, people who might have wanted to harm his wife and he said that everyone liked his wife but his gaze looked shifty. I didn't have any evidence to prove that someone in particular did not like his wife so I chose "doubt" but I was wrong. As it turns out I was supposed to accuse the husband of lying and in his accusation Cole clearly hints that the evidence he's gonna use is some rope that he found at the husband's house. I suppose you could try accusing a character of lying, listen to Cole's accusation for hints at the evidence he is looking for and back out of it if you don't have it but this way isn't very fast and you would wind up making a fool out of yourself when you back out of accusations.

I usually replay a segment until I get five stars anyways but it can get annoying.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ksaw

Don't opt to call them a liar unless you have evidence to prove they're lying. I didn't really understand that mechanic for the first couple of interrogations. 

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BBQBram
    @thehexeditor said:
    Don't be alarmed. You are probably not suffering from an autism-spectrum disorder.
    Ha, autistic duder here, nailing all the investigations.
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ClaritySam
    @BBQBram said:
    @thehexeditor said:
    Ha, autistic duder here, nailing all the investigations.
    /thread :-)
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Vexxan

Guessing a lie is the real bitch.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jackel2072

Remeber your note book if your best weapon! whenever you question anyone always look over all the clues you have found. to quote "Hot Fuzz" that thing will save your life!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Zabant: Do I really need to point out the difference between a general insult apropos of the topic and a pointed one?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.