Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 08, 2010

Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West is a team-based multiplayer shooter, featuring a Western setting and four playable character classes.

Initial beta impressions... meh

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By l3illyl3ob

I've played it for a few hours now, so I'm not deeply familiar with it.  But I've played just about all the game modes on all the maps, and I'm starting to get a feel for the game.  So far, I'm not greatly impressed.  There's some potential here, I like what they're doing with gun combat, and all the basic concepts seem solid initially.  But the demo is hampered down by some technical problems, and a few gameplay issues.

Things they can fix in the beta to improve the overall game:

Get rid of the heavy mouse acceleration.  I'm not really sure what you're trying to do by making my aim extremely finnicky.  I put the sensitivity down to the second lowest setting, and it still seems it's not low enough.  And then at random times by view will just swing wildly around when I'm just gently moving the mouse.  Maybe a bug related to the mouse acceleration?  Either way, it's unnecessary, at least give us a toggle option.

Add more maps.  I don't know if there's so few because this is a beta, or because they're a small team without enough resources, but either way, it currently is a problem.  6 maps doesn't really add enough variety, and I could really do with some more.  Hopefully the final version will come with more.

Add more class or weapon variety.  4 classes seems thin initially, but if it's balanced it can work.  And so far, the balance is relatively solid.  I would still like to see more variety.  Maybe they should give some thought towards adding a second primary weapon to each class you can choose.  As it is right now, I'm already getting a little bit tired of the same 4 weapons over and over again.  

Give me some graphics options! I can change my resolution.... great.  Maybe I'm just missing it?  But I'd like to be able to turn off depth of field or maybe some other superfluous options.  My system isn't all that great and I frequently get sub-30 FPS in game.  I don't like the fact that we're given literally no options other than resolution to deal with this.

Overall, I've gotten some enjoyment out of it. But I don't really see myself sticking with it if it remains the way it is for long.  Not enough variety, and some technical problems crop up from time to time.  Thankfully, this is what betas are for.   Hopefully they'll take any feedback to heart and improve on the game.  These are the four biggest issues I can think of right now, if they can fix them, this could turn into a very solid game.

So, what are your opinions on the game so far?  I'm interested to know if I'm the only one who takes issues to these things.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ToxicFruit
    @l3illyl3ob:
    I have no problems with the mouse, maybe it is just me and I think the developer said that the graphics options would be added in the final releases.
    And then about the maps, classes and weapons I would like to remind you that this is a $15 game and six maps is plenty. Most online shooter don't even go over six maps Why would you need more than 4 classes it would just make it harder to balance the game and hey Bad company 2 only has 4 classes, granted they have a large variety of weapons but still. I think you are expecting a little to much from such a small game.
    The developers are doing a hell of a job getting feedback from the players. I have seen them answer every question on the steam forum. The only problem I have with the game is the intance lag I am experiencing in most games but that should be fixed when the add dedicated servers! I am enjoying it.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

Lead & Gold costs under £10 and features six maps? Well TF2's beta launched with six maps and cost over double what Lead & Gold is currently selling for, and it took Valve (a large company) quite a bit of time to get more maps released. So I'd say give Lead & Gold a bit of slack for now, it is a small and new game in beta stage. I'm sure they have plans for more maps eventually. 

But at least you pre-ordered, sometimes the little guys need the helping hand of pre-order money to help get more maps released! :)

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By cap123

downloading it as we speak.. hope i have a better time with it :(

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CowMuffins

The studios' community manager is an unknowing asshole and the game needs an announcer and windowed mode.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hamz said:
    " But at least you pre-ordered, sometimes the little guys need the helping hand of pre-order money to help get more maps released! :) "
    That's how I felt too and I preodered yesterday.  We need more little startups like this for Steam to increase its value add and at 15 bucks its hardly a struggle to do so.  I also bought Shatter at the same time for the same reason.  I urge every Steam user to buy both of these games ASAP as they are great games in their own right, cheap as chips and every purchase of them supports the Indie Development Community as a whole.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By raiz265

only thing i can complain about atm are the bad pings/delay when playing online... they said they're working on dedicated servers though, i hope they'll release them relatively soon after release

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Belonpopo

Is this anything like Team Fortress? From the looks of it it seems that it's just third person TF 150 years ago.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scarace360

so should i buy it. Cause i love tf2.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jack_daniels
    @scarace360 said:
    " so should i buy it. Cause i love tf2. "
    TFC > TF2
    LeadCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeadCowboy

Best spent $14 in a very long time for me. 
    The game feels and looks more like a $30 game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.