Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Legacy of Kain

Franchise »

Set in the mythical realm of Nosgoth, the Legacy of Kain franchise follows the tragic tale of the vampire Kain as he tries to fulfill his destiny as Nosgoth's savior. The gameplay involves action and puzzle-solving elements.

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun - vertical slice revealed

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whitegreyblack

A NeoGaf member apparently dug up a 30 minute gameplay vertical slice of a cancelled Legacy of Kain sequel: "Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun". Take a look: [I think embedding is disabled for the video so here is a link] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBN8N2NXfi4

It always bums me out to see games so far along in production get the ax.

To me, the combat and traversal looks a lot like Shadow of Mordor. I would have played the hell out of it. Even if detractors would say it does not have the same feel as the older LoK games, it looked to be on a pretty good path and it would have been interesting to see how it would have turned out.

At this point, do you think Square Enix will do anything worthwhile with this IP? "Nosgoth" does not interest me in the slightest, and seems to miss the mark of a Legacy of Kain game a lot more than Dead Sun did.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

It's like if Shadow of Mordor was a good game with actual characters, a real story and interesting visuals.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah I'm definitely getting Shadow of Mordor vibes from this. Although the video doesn't really show off the writing and voice acting quality of Legacy of Kain games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Looks pretty interesting although I think the design of the main character is really terrible. I really like the world shifting mechanic. Like a much more fluid and dynamic version of those Soul Reaver environmental puzzles.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Too bad this didn't come out, that looks pretty good.

sadsadsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Could have been another Bloodforge.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By John1912

Eh, that looked pretty awful, and I was a big fan of the series even though they were pretty mixed games once they went 3d. The first game is still pretty great imo, and really was the best of the series. I could actually go for a low budget Zelda style reboot of the franchise if they got the old Kain back as a voice actor. Sure hes hammy as fuck, but in a awesome way!

Hate the main char skin/body paint, what ever the fuck that is. It really does have that Shadow of Mordor thing going on. The insanely flat level geometry so I can climb anywhere is such a turn off for me. Makes it look like a re-skinned PS2 game, same with SoM. I hope the series gets a proper reboot, but Im glad this wasnt it from what I saw.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say this as a big Kain fan...that looks awful. Probably better it didn't come out.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Relkin

Protagonist has a jaw. No deal.

I would love a new game in that series, or a reboot of the events surrounding Raziel. Hopefully Crystal Dynamics will get a chance to make another at some point, after their stint with Tomb Raider finally comes to a close.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The thing that this immediately reminded me of, like literally as soon as the gameplay started, was X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I think, as huge of a fan I am of the LoK universe, I'm glad they cancelled this. Nothing about it seemed challenging or worthwhile to me, but beyond that, I think I've finally gotten real real real real reeeeeeeeal tired of the Batman combat system. Regardless of that, I did like the amount of color in that world. I wish more games would be that colorful. It's probably why I've been enjoying so many Wii U games lately (besides how good they are).

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
    Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

I don't know that anyone wants to play a Legacy of Kain game that doesn't have Kain in it.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

While this looked interesting I think its even more interesting how people can judge the entire, non-existing, product based on an hour long vertical slice.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks pretty good but it kinda looks off.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looked pretty good. It kinda bugs me how the main character is pretty much an off-brand version of Raziel. It just seems very fanfictiony, especially since the dude is a rippled athlete rather than an emaciated and broken corpse. Also the dude sticking around with you is pretty off-putting, he just seems too modern and at odds with the rest of the game's style.

Everything else seemed cool, and some of the rough bits are certainly things that would get polished up. I actually don't think the Legacy of Kain games have ever been terribly interesting or innovative from a gameplay standpoint, so it being a generic open world game with batman combat is sort of par for the course. I especially like how the setting really isn't your typical fantasy setting, but has lots of (to my untrained eye) eastern influences. Oh and that boss in the boss intro cutscene was really cool.

It is eerie how similar to shadows of mordor it is, but it still could have been a pretty good game in the end. As someone who continues to play too much Nosgoth, it's interesting to see how it was influenced in some ways by Dead Sun.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

This... actually looks pretty interesting. Doesn't look like a Legacy of Kain game, but it looks cool nonetheless.

Looks like Shadow of Mordor starring Shadowman, at least until he got the wings. Then it looked even closer to an Arkham game than Mordor was. The style of it all is almost like if ACE Team did a "AAA" action game. Premise seemed interesting enough.

Sure, I woulda totally played this.

mr_ink_5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to say how that game would have turned out from those 30 mins.
    It didn't look like it handled like the original games, but we'll always have the original games to go back and play since we enjoyed them so much (a HD release would be nice though)
    Modern gaming ascetics aside, there's none of the grandeur and ambience of LoK on display here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.