Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

Limbo and the length argument

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Bouke

Ok first things first; i haven't finished the game yet.  

A lot of people agree that Limbo is an amazing game; with great visuals and a story told without the use of dialogue or text bubbles. But now that more and more people have played the game, there is another, less positive thing people find about this game. Namely the length. Some people say its only 3-4 hours long! Crazy!  
    Ok so Limbo costs 15 dollars (like the 4 other summer of arcade games) and you probably spent more time playing the other games, but does that make a game too expensive? I'm pretty sure most people who have played Limbo, will remember it five years from now. Can we say the same about  Hydro Thunder Hurricane or Monday Night Combat? Boiling it down to dollars vs hours just feels wrong to me. If it was a 60 dollar game that would take you 12-16 hours to finish, would people still call it too expensive? I totally get the "voting with your wallet" principal and i'm sure developers would love to charge gamers more money for less game. But i don't think thats the case here.  

I just don't get the; "its too expensive" argument, so if you think Limbo is too expansive, please explain to me why!?
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

STOP SAYING EXPANSIVE. Please say expensive, it's driving me insane. 
    As for the price argument, I still think $15 is a lot of money to spend on an arcade game, hell, I spent $13 to get Bayonetta. As I've said everywhere else about Limbo, I'll buy it once the price drops.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I don't see how price makes a game expansive. It is what it is. Games don't expand once they go gold. It's not like Limbo would increase -- expand -- exponentially in length if it was $150 instead of $15.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

Hey, we needed another one of these threads!

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Spoonman671 said:
    " Hey, we needed another one of these threads! "
    Egg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Egg0

I thought it was worth it. Took me 4-5 hours to finish. Encapsulated in a 3 day period.

I've payed almost as much to watch a crappy 1 hour and 30 minute movie.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bouke
    @ZanzibarBreeze: 
    I'm not talking about expanding Limbo! I'm just saying if it was a 60 dollar game with the length of 12-16 hours; would people still think its expensive? 

@Spoonman671:
    I looked through the threads and couldn't find a similair one...
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

If you are unwilling to spend $15 on what might become the best 4 hours of your gaming month, then you're an idiot, plain and simple.

/thread

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
    " STOP SAYING EXPANSIVE. Please say expensive, it's driving me insane.  As for the price argument, I still think $15 is a lot of money to spend on an arcade game, hell, I spent $13 to get Bayonetta. As I've said everywhere else about Limbo, I'll buy it once the price drops. "  
    It's true. Some typos don't really affect it, but in this case it changes the entire meaning of the sentence.  

And I'm not paying $15 for Limbo. If it was $5, or maybe even $10, but there's just something about that over-$10 price that's stopping me. 
    callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By callumbay

For me it was well worth 1200 points. I've played it more than any other game this week, I think. (excluding Dragon Quest IX)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " And I'm not paying $15 for Limbo. If it was $5, or maybe even $10, but there's just something about that over-$10 price that's stopping me.  "
    Would you say that there are experiences in life which happen over a period of 3-5 hours that are worth paying $15 for?
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Bouke said:
    " Boiling it down to dollars vs hours just feels wrong to me. "
    Bold for emphasis.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @ZanzibarBreeze:
    You're an asshole, but I totally enjoy it.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bionicicide

Eh... the visuals rivaled top tier flash games and never struck me as a game a person will replay multiple times unless one's an achievement hunter. Tough sell when I've been looking on eBay at discount retail games of which I can resell myself so instead of plugging my ears at all Limbo talk in podcasts until there was a fair price in a promotion, I just decided to watch online videos of a playthrough completed in exactly an hour. To be fair, I am one cheap mother... digital distribution might end gaming for me.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bouke

I edited my OP because some people couldn't get over the fact that english isn't my first language and i mixed up expansive with expensive; there you go! If you didn't know what i meant you're kind of sad... if you did, but you decided to be a jerk about it; i'll try not to mix them up in the future. 
    I just got really irritated by people talking about the price being to high for such a good game (in my opinion) and i wondered why. So far i don't see any good reasons other then "the game isn't worth it.."
    dunderri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By dunderri

My opinion is that since there is no real value in it after you've finished, that it seems like a waste of your money. It took me around 2 and a half hours to finish, including the achievements (not the less than 5 deaths). Am I going to play it again? Probably not. I like puzzles and stuff, but I don't want to sit here and say, "Wow, that chapter was awesome. Let me play it again!" It's not going to happen. For me, it felt like is was missing something. Maybe since the story becomes more dilluted once you pass the forest section. I wish I could pinpoint what it was missing, but I can't. I just have that feeling. Now do I think it was worth $15? Possibly, only because it's an arcade game. I just wish I had spent the $15 elsewhere.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Illmatic

I'm not gonna get into too expensive or how amazing or not amazing the story and gameplay was. I'll just say that after finishing it I deeply regretted spending my money on it. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the majority seems to have.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By OneManX

I've read books that were more expensive and enjoyed the hell out of them and they took me around 4 hours to finish, I just split it up over a while.  

I think arguing X amount of money for X amount of hours is just a bad way to cheat yourself out of a great game experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.