Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mad Max

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

An open world action game with an emphasis on vehicular combat, based on the Mad Max character from the series of Australian post-apocalyptic films by George Miller.

Did you enjoy this game?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Did you enjoy this game? (226 votes)

Yep. I loved it! One of the best from 2015 to me. 4%
    Yeah, I liked it. Not ecstatic like the choice above though. 13%
    It was okay. Had some mediocre bits and what have you, but good parts as well for sure. 17%
    The game wasn't very good, no. I didn't really like anything it had to offer. 8%
    I didn't play it, so I guess we'll see what others thought. 57%

I'm not really looking for a recommendation, since it's never that useful to me because I'll buy or not buy a game based on how I'm feeling in the moment, but I am still curious what everyone here thought about it. I don't rent games, so that's not going to be an option for me, but I got a 20 dollar Target gift card, so I am wondering whether I should use that to go towards getting this game. The game is still full price. I may get it tomorrow if I go to Target. It's one of those games I'm not sure I should play, but still kind of want to; I do tend to get those kinds of games at some point (and more often than not, enjoy them). So, what's bad about this game to you, and what's good? What I am wondering most I suppose though is, how good is the atmosphere and story. I hear the car is a big feature, is that fun to use? Is there enough interesting exploration on foot?

• 
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I played it for twenty hours and had a fair bit of fun with it.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I picked this up pretty cheaply - I've only played about 3 hours of it. I liked what I played - the game has a pretty cool intro and has great transitions between cutscenes and action. The gameplay seems pretty standard open world - it's not exciting but it's not terrible. The car stuff so far is okay, but again, I haven't done that much of it. The world seems pretty big, so I don't know how long the game will sustain my attention. I plan to get back in to this game once I'm through some more of my game backlog from this year.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By themangalist

I haven't actively hated a game in a long while. This game is littered with poor design decisions and almost all activities you do are either super boring or not very fun. Worse yet I feel like the game doesn't respect anyone's time.

The only redeeming quality is the vehicle combat, which is at best, alright. Still very repetitive in nature, and not that satisfying when the game doesn't force you to change up tactics enough for a 30hour game. It sounds crazy but I think Avalanche out-Ubisofted Ubisoft. I was 1/2 way through (probably two dozens of hours) until I realized I'm just not having fun at all. I actually reinstalled Shadow of Mordor and having a blast playing through that game again.

Edit:

I'll go into a bit more detail:

- Visually boring world: This game looks stunning graphics-wise but the world design is very very boring. It's worse than Red Faction Guerilla landscape boring.

- Same-y ground combat: The arkham combat feels... exactly like what it was. Same enemy types and so on. The game did nothing to elevate the arkham combat like how Shadow of Mordor or Sleeping Dogs had.

- Taking over oil tank supply outposts: Most outposts you take over would have you get out of your car, and fight your way till the end. There's one particular type of outpost that's designed to be a "treasure-hunt" type game where you have to find oil canisters and throw them in to oil tanks? It's not a problem if there were 3 oil tanks to find in the outpost, but most of these outposts have more than 10. Finding them is often frustrating.

- Minefield side missions: Yes, you don't have to do them but they are essential to lowering enemy influence in region to 0%, which is a criteria for unlocking certain parts for your cars. You have a "radar" and you have to find the invisible mines which will appear when you stand close enough. You have to be in the car for the radar to work. And then you have to get out of the car and watch a 7 second animation play out to disarm it. Get back on the car. Repeat for 3 times per side mission. Oh, also, you have to fast travel to your base to switch to the "radar" car to complete these missions. Tedious.

- Overly long "immersive" animations: Okay, I get that Avalanche is trying to make it seem a desolate wasteland and a struggle to survive, but very game-y things like replenishing health by eating food forces you to watch this 5 to 10 second animation that gets really tiresome. Sometimes you just want to move on. I wouldn't mind having these immersive moments if the game wasn't so obvious about the "game" part.

- Use of the Mad Max license: It's sort of hard to build a 30 hour open world game based on movies that are inherently straightforward with a simple theme and premise. Other than beating you over the head with the theme of "survival", it doesn't really go into heroism and folklore as the movies do. Max is kind of an ass in the story. Some aspects (like spirituality in the post-apocalypse or reminiscing about the life before the apocalypse) are explored so ham-fistedly, lacking the subtlety to invoke the viewers imagination the same way the movies do. Mad Max just does nothing to expand on the legend of Max and just fills the game with long and meaningless side stuff. (I'll say the ending is quite good, but not worth playing through the whole game to see)

- Ubisoft open world game needs a "Please Stop" award: I'm so glad we had Shadow of Mordor from last year and MGS V from this year: both games deviate from the GTA III inspired, Ubisoft perfected formula of open world games. This game I think is the last straw for me, I don't have that many hours to invest in games anymore. At least Ubisoft tries to have a good story and solid gameplay to back their games up with. Mad Max has neither.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OMGFather

Liked - The world of Mad Max, it felt true to the material. I liked the story and the characters. Basically if you're into Mad Max as a series you should like this. The car combat was great. Customizing your abilities and the look of Max etc, though in the end it doesn't feel like there's much options there.

Disliked - The side missions, clearing areas just for the sake of crossing them off a checklist, I stopped doing them after a while because it just got too dull. I do like to complete games but this was a real struggle.

I would definitely recommend it but just don't try and do everything or you'll likely get burnt out.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By NeoCalypso

I thought it was decent for about 10 hours but after that point I was doing my absolute best to rush through it as quickly as I could to focus on MGS. The car combat starts okay but it somehow manages to get worse with each successive upgrade(The Thunderpoon is the only upgrade that makes it in anyway easier), and don't get me started of that god awful melee combat.

It's like the devs had the Arkham series combat described to them verbally and designed Mad Max entirely on the description without actually checking out Batman to see why that system was good. It's not a terrible game, but no way in hell is it a worth a purchase at $60. Especially if you haven't picked up all the other really great games that have come out this year. Hell I'd even say the new Assassin's Creed is a better buy.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's a generic open world game with Mad Max slapped on it. I liked it though, the loop was fun and it has a great lived in world. Don't listen to to Alex or Jeff - they live on the edge of gaming and are looking for the newest and hottest. Mad Max was neither;it was just good.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By handlas

My quick opinion: I like it and would recommend buying it.

I've gotten fairly far in it I think. It has some fun characters in it that keep the storying interesting. I enjoy the car combat/customization quite a bit... I heard people dissing on that but I'm not sure why; I feel it's probably the game's biggest strength and most unique aspect. Also, it looks very nice. They did a good job of making the different areas look/feel unique for a game that is just one big desert wasteland.

The negative is how repetitive it feels. Perhaps it's my own fault for clearing out a couple of the map areas from enemy control when I didn't really need to. However, I'm at a part in the game where it's actually requiring me to do that to progress the story which is annoying.

I put it in my top 10 games list even though I haven't finished it. Seems like an all around solid game; better than others I've played this year and I plan on finishing it.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LeStephan

Theres not much to do besides going to pictograms on your map, driving a car around the mad max wasteland and fighting goons and even that is not very deep but if that seems enjoyable to you and you really enjoy the mad max world visually there is definitely some fun to be had. The story is a mix of really good and really bad so that is pretty interesting to experience too :)

Im someone who buys/plays pretty much most games that get released and hates generic ubi-styled openworld games. I have yet to enjoy an assasins creed game for example and arkham knight even managed to bore me before reaching the end. I still enjoyed this game very much as someone who thinks the mad max world is really cool. I actually had a better time playing this than most other AAA games released this year strangely. Its also one of the few AAA games I finished this year. On paper it totally seems the most boring game ever, I mean, theres even less to do than in an AC game but somehow I found it fun throughout. At first I played it in between MGSV sessions but halfway MGSV I just kept going back to Mad Max instead. I was super sick of MGSV by the time I finished it but with mad max I just felt content and done with it in a good way by the end.

I know I really enjoyed this game but I could totally see this game being super boring if I wouldn't have digged the vibe of the world so much (which, I think, is exactly why I couldn't care less about AC games)

EDIT: Now that I think about it this may be the only ubi-styled open world game I have ever bothered to finish... Maybe Im forgetting something but I dont think so....

(oops guess I also finished arkham city haha that ending was sooo awful)

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I got it for 25$ on Black Friday and played through about 1/3 of it. I did not care for it at all, and would have been pissed if I payed full price for it. It's well made, sure, but it's so, SO generic.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it. But I also don't saturate myself with Ubi-like system open world games, the previous being Shadow of Mordor, and I only played one of the Batman games just because I'm not really into Batman to begin with. So I guess a lot of it depends on how much you like the setting of Mad Max (which I do, A LOT) and all the trappings therein, and if that's enough to pull you into the setting past the now well-worn open world mechanics.

A lot of the side stuff was vanilla, but I found the vehicle combat to be really fun. Cars exploding at high speeds while flying through the air raining down flaming gasoline is always satisfying. Also, I really enjoyed Chumbucket's character. He's probably one of my favorite new video game personalities of late.

I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. The most disappointing aspect for me was that there aren't any actual war rigs in it.

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This should have been the kind of game I love, but holy shit did it turn me off. I hated every one in it and I hated every menial task the game asked of me. I just didn't find it any fun. It's the only game I've purchased in at least the last decade that I didn't feel compelled to finish. I always finish games.

It's a pretty game at least.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I spent like 4 or 5 hours playing Mad Max before I sent it back to gamefly. It wasn't bad, but there were a lot of great open world games this year, and Mad Max wasn't a unique or good enough game to justify spending my time on that over all the others. I'm excited for a sequel though, because I feel like if they learn their lessons from this game, and take some cues from the recent movie, they could have a pretty cool game on their hands.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I did not like this game. It is such a merchandised take on Fury Road that generfied pretty much everything from the movie. Suddenly everyone is a "war boy" and all of the cars have to look exactly like the ones from Fury Road. Call me crazy, and while I think Fury Road is the shit, I feel like there's so much to take from that by choosing only Fury Road you lose a lot of what the world of Mad Max has to offer. I would have killed to see some diversity in the enemy design. It would have been 100% okay if each faction was completely different from each other, with one having the "war boys" and the others having something more akin to the classical, leatherbound BSDM dudes with like, their nipples showing through and gimp masks and stuff which was so awesome.

And also what is up with Mad Max's constant poetic waxation about the world they are in? That fucking guy can't take 5 minutes without saying some shit like "It was up to us to save the world, but we failed... When the wall comes down humanity is nothing but a rattled dog in a cage. Now we're all alone, together, in this MAD WORLD". Like yo dude you, 1, aren't supposed to talk, and 2, aren't supposed to be a poet.

The world of Mad Max is supposed to be atmospheric and dreary and violent and extreme and brutal and Max isn't supposed to be talkative. He's in self-exile. He's running away from society but in every movie he just can't turn off his innate desire to help and so he's roped into these crazy scenarios. He helps to carry the weight that mankind cannot carry on their own.

Also the character of Chumbucket did not appeal to me. Mad Max is a loner. He doesn't need to talk, so the character of Chumbucket was created to fill the void that Mad Max creates with his silent presence. Problem is they forget that he actually talks a lot so the end result is something that looks and sounds like Mad Max, but tastes like Shades of Ubsioftgamedesign.

If you want my opinion on what Mad Max should be: The Last of Us on wheels. Whatever that means, however you get to that, I don't know. But, definitely, The Last of Us on wheels.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played it, but I keep seeing it for $30 and that seems like a hard to argue price. It's basically my favorite type of game to play (open world with emphasis on emergent chaos), even if those games don't always have lasting appeal or profound narratives. Unfortunately, I have been very busy with my own work the past three months or so, and haven't had a chance to sit back and enjoy some games. Now that I've got some free time, I've been going back.

I'm in middle of playing Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3, and I just bought Steamworld Heist and plan on grabbing Rise of the Tomb Raider while it's on sale on XBL. So, maybe after I get through all of that, but at the rate I've been playing games this year, that will be sometime around March.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@hatking said:

I haven't played it, but I keep seeing it for $30 and that seems like a hard to argue price. It's basically my favorite type of game to play (open world with emphasis on emergent chaos), even if those games don't always have lasting appeal or profound narratives. Unfortunately, I have been very busy with my own work the past three months or so, and haven't had a chance to sit back and enjoy some games. Now that I've got some free time, I've been going back.

I'm in middle of playing Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3, and I just bought Steamworld Heist and plan on grabbing Rise of the Tomb Raider while it's on sale on XBL. So, maybe after I get through all of that, but at the rate I've been playing games this year, that will be sometime around March.

Its up for 20 bucks right now on steam, I grabbed it, seems alright so far especially for 20 bucks.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

The atmosphere is good, the story is not. Well, actually the story isn't bad, it's just too broken up by bad side-missions. The car combat is different since you're mostly using your harpoon to rip cars apart, but it's mostly fun. The on-foot stuff is the worst part of the game. Max moves way too slowly and there is almost nothing to explore in the open world (unless you like going through extremely similar bases over and over again). The ground combat is simple and gets pretty boring by the end of the game.

Mostly, it was OK. You could do a lot worse with your money, but you could also do a lot better (especially if the game is still full price).

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's fine, car combat sucked but it had its moments. Didn't hold up at all to the competition at the time though so there was really no reason to pay full price for it though. It's a solid game to pick up on sale.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think it's one of those games where the core game play part of it is solid and fun, but the game built around that is mediocre. The combat, in cars and out is pretty good. But the story is bad, and the story missions (few as they are) aren't great either.

It's the sort of game that I enjoyed, but am glad I got it on sale, you know? It's fun.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All good to know. Thanks. I'm still thinking about it.

tomobedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it was a game that doesn´t really do anything well but somehow i ended putting 40 hours in it,

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I just got back from Target, and I picked this game up on the One (Digital Foundry says this version is slightly better than the PS4 version, and I need more games on the One since I have more on PS4).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

So far, just roaming the world and stuff. I'm enjoying it. I haven't really started the main missions yet, but I can say, other than the 'boss' fights, and just the look of the places you go, there's not a lot of variety, so while I'm enjoying going through all of what I've done, the idea of marking each side thing off the map doesn't come quiet as an interest to me; it's just there if I want to visit new places, which I like to do, and upgrade more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.