Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

Joe's Adventure DLC Announced!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I'm all for giving you new storyline's where you take control of different characters. I still haven't played the original Mafia 2 yet, though seeing all this Jimmy DLC and now Joe, it's making it look all the more appealing with so much content. With that said, I'll least be waiting till I find Mafia 2 at a discount price so then with the price of the DLC added in I won't feel cheapened. 

Anywhoo, the DLC. No surprise from the title, it places you in the role of Joe Barbaro, Vito's joke happy sidekick during the time that Vito is in prison. I don't know if that's before the story, or amidst the story or what, but it's more the content that's signalling my interest. As quoted from 2K: 

''Joe’s Adventures offers an engaging narrative and allows players to explore new locations, including a train station, the cathouse, a boat yard, a seasonally changing lakefront and some never-before-seen buildings in Empire Bay. This exciting new chapter in the Mafia II saga includes new clothing, collectibles and even more classic 40’s and 50’s music. In addition to the story-based missions, Joe’s Adventures opens up a slew of optional city-based quests packed with arcade action gameplay and a points-based system that allows players to move up the ranks on the online leaderboard through combos and multiplier bonuses. Deadly executions by head shot or charged explosives rack up points, and precision-timed vehicular power slides, lofty jumps and feats of supercharged speed maintain the adrenaline-charged fun for extensive replayability.  ''  

Overall, it sounds good and if it'll be as cheap as the Jimmy DLC, it's a sure download for me... one day. 
    Scottish_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Scottish_Sin

I really enjoyed Mafia II. I thought it was a great game. With that said, the Jimmy's Vendetta DLC kinda soured me on the game. i just didn't find it all that fun and it lacked any sort of story which was Mafia II's strong point. I dunno, I really thought the DLC exposed the game a bit more to the flaws it has and a lot of the missions were really repetitive.

I'll probably hold off on this DLC until I read/hear people's opinions on it first.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By xMP44x

I want this DLC, but it's a rare occurrence that I buy any DLC. It so happens I have spent the Microsoft Points I had on my account on the 'Jimmy's Vendetta' DLC, which was not bad. Some of the achievements are terrible though - killing 1,000 enemies? I've completed it once and killed 250 people, and there is no way I'm driving 1000 miles in that DLC alone considering that it takes a long enough period of time to cover 50. Some of the achievements in the game are a grind, and I hope Joe's Adventure has more of a story. While Jimmy's Vendetta had a story, a lot of it was missed out on due to the fact that 'The Betrayal of Jimmy' had only been available on the Playstation 3. Then again, it lacked any real structure or storytelling at all, so I don't know whether or not I could even call it a story as such. 800 Microsoft Points seems pretty decent though for the amount of content that will come in the pack - Jimmy's Vendetta kept me playing for a few days, which was pretty decent considering it was 'only' 300MB.  

Oh, and Abyssfull, I'm going to try and explain with as little spoiler as possible. Joe's Adventure will occur between two points in the story - the transition between the 1940s and World War II, and the 1950s and the American boom-time. Believe me, the transition is one of the most impressive things in the game, and if you do decide to pick a copy of this game up and the content for it, complete the base game first. Trust me, I have a feeling it'll add a lot more to the experience.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

GB doesn't have much of a strong Mafia 2 fanbase, and I'm not all that incredibly fussed over it either, but still just a notice that the Joe's Adventures DLC will be up tomorrow for most on PSN/Live and Wednesday for PSN in Europe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.