Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

MAG Beta Impressions

Avatar image for krossmojination
    krossmojination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By krossmojination

I gave the MAG open beta a good 2.5 hours last night, leveled up to 5 and unlocked a few perks, which was satisfying.  My first reaction is that it feels very "gamey".  No disrespect, but if feels like a toy shooter, like an FPS for kids.  It feels like Frontlines:FoW but with more people.

I do really feel that some FPSs are considered a sport, whereas some are simply games.  Despite the fact that this will draw out a more "hardcore" PS3 crowd, MAG is most definitely a game.  CoD:MW2, Halo, Gears, they are so competitive and so intense that they are more like sports. And if I'm going to play a shooter night after night, I'm looking for a sport-type shooter.

Gameplay-wise, there's really nothing wrong with it. It plays a lot like Battlefield I think, maybe not quite as smooth.  Though some of that may have to do with perks and control settings.  I only had one dropped connection last night and just a smidge of lag.  Not bad for a couple hours of playtime; hell that's better than CoD.  The respawns are probably my only pet peeve with the game...20 seconds to bleed out, 20 second respawn queue, 20 seconds to run-walk back to the action, rinse & repeat.  It definitely makes you think twice about sprinting into the fray.  But I do understand why it is the way that it is.  I get it.  I do.  But it doesn't suit the style of game I like to play.

I heard one funny comment:  "People will take this game way more seriously than they would if it was on Xbox LIVE."  Which I took to imply that there is the impression that the PS3 is for "serious gamers".

The very next game I got knifed in the back right at the first respawn.  Stay classy, "serious gamers".

I do like the game enough though that if it were cheap enough I probably would pick it up (I'd pay $30 at launch, $20 after a month or two...no more than that).  But man, the early game is brutal, at least in the beta.  It is not like CoD:MW2 where you get great weapons right at the start.  I don't know enough to say if Zipper does or doesn't, but if they don't somehow handicap that, things can get way out of balance.  Who knows, maybe that's what they want, to weed out the chaff.

Avatar image for krossmojination
    krossmojination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By krossmojination

I gave the MAG open beta a good 2.5 hours last night, leveled up to 5 and unlocked a few perks, which was satisfying.  My first reaction is that it feels very "gamey".  No disrespect, but if feels like a toy shooter, like an FPS for kids.  It feels like Frontlines:FoW but with more people.

I do really feel that some FPSs are considered a sport, whereas some are simply games.  Despite the fact that this will draw out a more "hardcore" PS3 crowd, MAG is most definitely a game.  CoD:MW2, Halo, Gears, they are so competitive and so intense that they are more like sports. And if I'm going to play a shooter night after night, I'm looking for a sport-type shooter.

Gameplay-wise, there's really nothing wrong with it. It plays a lot like Battlefield I think, maybe not quite as smooth.  Though some of that may have to do with perks and control settings.  I only had one dropped connection last night and just a smidge of lag.  Not bad for a couple hours of playtime; hell that's better than CoD.  The respawns are probably my only pet peeve with the game...20 seconds to bleed out, 20 second respawn queue, 20 seconds to run-walk back to the action, rinse & repeat.  It definitely makes you think twice about sprinting into the fray.  But I do understand why it is the way that it is.  I get it.  I do.  But it doesn't suit the style of game I like to play.

I heard one funny comment:  "People will take this game way more seriously than they would if it was on Xbox LIVE."  Which I took to imply that there is the impression that the PS3 is for "serious gamers".

The very next game I got knifed in the back right at the first respawn.  Stay classy, "serious gamers".

I do like the game enough though that if it were cheap enough I probably would pick it up (I'd pay $30 at launch, $20 after a month or two...no more than that).  But man, the early game is brutal, at least in the beta.  It is not like CoD:MW2 where you get great weapons right at the start.  I don't know enough to say if Zipper does or doesn't, but if they don't somehow handicap that, things can get way out of balance.  Who knows, maybe that's what they want, to weed out the chaff.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SamStrife

Comparing them to sports is spot on.  And to me, whilst sports shooters are awesome at first, the people who invest way more time into them than I ever can eventually make me super fed up with them.  All goes down to what you like.

EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By EvolutionX0

Its a good beta so far, especially on domination with 128 vs 128 players.  
    The maps are pretty big and there are lots of objectives spread out across them, it can get a little bit too much sometimes with the limited spawns. but other than that,it looks like a must buy for me.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By get2sammyb
    @EvolutionX0 said:
    " Its a good beta so far, especially on domination with 128 vs 128 players.  The maps are pretty big and there are lots of objectives spread out across them, it can get a little bit too much sometimes with the limited spawns. but other than that,it looks like a must buy for me. "
    128 vs 128 is bonkers. It's just a shame so few - and by few, I mean the 20,000 or so players that are really going to get into MAG - will experience it.

The netcode is amazingly impressive. You can have roughly 40 or so players visible on the screen in front of you and still not experience lag. Unbelievable.

Agree on the limited spawns.
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By adziboy

I don't agree with EVERYTHING you said, but I respect that you realise that the game just isn't suited for your type of play. I'm the sort of gamer which plays SOCOM, which says enough about me; but MAG is like the pinnacle of shooters for me at the moment. The fact that you actually have Squad Leaders, Platoons, OIC's etc, for me, is just crazy fun. I like war sims, but I also love games like MW2. This is like the best of both and I'm loving it. It might help that I play actively with the same people everyday, no matter the game. At least a few people have the game we're playing, and we're all pretty good mates after gaming so much. We know what each others tactics are gonna be etc and it makes for a fun game, mainly because we all have 'roles' and we try and win, which means playing tactically.

Definitely agreed on the spawns. They need to make it a bit more... friendly to run and gunners, people who arent in a party, or people at lower levels. Veterans won't die as much so I can't see it being much of a problem, but when I first started, it pissed me off a bit. 

Good post thought.
    flagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flagan

i playd mag for a day at the most and i thot it was an ok game but if would be better i think if it had a story mode

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By vager

Pretty good game. I agree with the spawn times. I also don't like how hard it is to respec. I want to try out other play styles but it takes hours  a pond  hours of playing to get enough points for  1 respec. 
    I do really like the sniping, that head shot sound effect is so god damn satisfying. I also love the fact that you can actually use the bipod and it not just being there to make your gun look cool and increase it's stats. 

I don't really like the Domination game type (128vs128). Hard to explain, the objectives change too often for me I guess. 

I also couldn't help but, feel some nostalgia for Planetside when I saw the 3 factions.
    RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By RawknRo11a

meh, guess it's just not for me... playing on a 42" 1080p and everything was a bit muddy, hard to spot enemies, difficult to aim and hit someone. just didn't feel dialed in enough. Probably just going to keep playing MW2 for the moment.

I do thing the huge battle idea is amazing and I definitely hope they can pull it off as I loved the Socom games that Zipper created.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @krossmojination:  It depends how serious you think 5-10 year olds are?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.