Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic 2015

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 16, 2014

2014's entry in the Magic: The Gathering franchise.

Don't Buy This Game Yet! (post from reddit)

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SJQPersonal

[MOD EDIT: Just copy/pasting content from off-site is considered spam and will be locked. The post by @adequatelyprepared of his own experience makes for a much better OP.]

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will share my own current experience of this game. Currently not working properly, crashes about 5 seconds after I click on start on the main menu, but I won't hold that against that, as games are sometimes liable to do this on release, and hopefully a fix comes soon.

However, from what I have seen of the menus, the interface is UNCHANGED from the iPad version, complete with a dumb splash screen at the start where it says 'click here' even though clicking anywhere gets you through the menu. All the menu options (Single Player, Multiplayer, Deck Builder, etc) are not on a single screen, as would make sense, but you rather have to click to cycle through them, with the button for them taking up most of the screen. This is an interface designed for a touch screen, not for a mouse and keyboard. I might post more later if they get a fix out for my issue.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's awful. I've played every MTG game since the first DOTP and have really liked all of them and was somewhat intrigued when I first heard this one had actual deck building. Sucks to hear that they fucked up every other facet of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking of getting this, but I cant find a list of game modes anywhere. Is it only one v one?

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By white

Also, it has microtransactions for "premium boosters".

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have guessed it was a cashgrab based on Magic 2015 being out in 2014. Seems like the kind of thing that scummy folks with no value in their game would do.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkeyehails: DOTP 2013 came out in 2012 and DOTP 2014 came out in 2013. They are named after the core set they feature.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kinda excited for this, as it would supposedly allow for complete deck customization, I guess I'm glad I decided to hold back at launch.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: Ah, that explains it. That seems like a bizarre way to number a video game adaptation of a card game.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MindBullet

The game itself is basically an evolution of the "sealed play" mode from 2014 mixed with their standard campaign/story mode, but with the freedom to customize and create decks as you wish. There aren't any real surprises from the campaign side of things. The only real addition there seems to be is an option to "Explore" any given realm and fight a random encounter to grind out booster packs. Deck building is as fun as you make it. The game gives you a selection of starter decks to choose from at the end of the tutorial, letting you select your favorite mana color before giving you a few deck options based around that element. Each deck is dual-colored and tries to fit into one theme or another to middling success. Once you pick a deck, you're locked in for the rest of the game. The driving force behind playing the game itself is to create your own personal deck(s), with your starter deck being used more as a way to give you a foundation to work with than to actually be any good.

The UI definitely feels like it was made exclusively for a touch screen, which does make navigating menus with a mouse a chore. I've heard from a couple people that the various transitions and animations have caused some slowdown, but so far the only issue I've had is that the game won't put itself into any aspect ratio besides 4:3. They've placed a heavy emphasis on grinding booster packs or buying "premium" packs, which can come across as a real money grabby tactic. I can't bring myself to completely condemn it as I see it as mimicking the actual experience of building a deck in real life to some degree. They label the boosters you buy with real money as "premium", but based on what one of my buddies has experienced from buying a few out of curiosity, there isn't really much difference between the "premium" boosters and the ones you get through normal gameplay. The removal of the Two Headed Giant mode was a big loss, especially since it was a favorite among my group of friends. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem if they have any plans to add it in later.

The game has it's problems. They had a vision for what they wanted here and are determined to see it through despite what others might say. Even if you like some of the ideas they've put into play here, you may still find yourself getting frustrated by the myriad issues affecting playability. That said, the core idea of the game itself-building your own unique virtual Magic decks-is something I can't bring myself to hate. I'll miss being able to just pick a pre-made deck and jump right into a game with friends, but the thought of creating decks that match the feel of those old pre-mades and facing off against my friends' unique creations is exciting enough in it's own right. It's frustrating, it's tedious, it's rewarding. It's perfectly acceptable to write it off as a cash grab as things stand now, but there is still just enough here to enjoy while holding out hope that things get better.

I am keeping Magic 2014 installed, though. Just in case.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mindbullet:

I jumped onto the whole Magic thing with 2014, which I really enjoyed. If I don't like 2015 once I get around to it, is 2013 or 2012 a worthwhile buy?

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mindbullet:

I jumped onto the whole Magic thing with 2014, which I really enjoyed. If I don't like 2015 once I get around to it, is 2013 or 2012 a worthwhile buy?

I'd just stick with 2014, though if you really feel like getting another Magic game that isn't 2015, I'd say 2013 would be the way to go. I remember it having some real fun decks that I sorely missed when I first started 2014.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gkhan

@adequatelyprepared said:

@mindbullet:

I'd just stick with 2014, though if you really feel like getting another Magic game that isn't 2015, I'd say 2013 would be the way to go. I remember it having some real fun decks that I sorely missed when I first started 2014.

Man, that Ajani deck which gave you a zillion life and that white/black Exalted deck were so much fun!

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hearthstone is just kicking Magic's ass right now at their own game. M:TG is by far the superior trading card game, but Wizard of the Coast just can't get their act together and make a good video game out of it which can appeal to anyone other than the hardcore Magic fans. It's sad.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, weird that this has so many problems. I was already going to skip this year when I heard it wasn't coming to ps4 but it sounds like they can't even even get it working on pc right..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.