Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario Kart 64

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Dec 14, 1996

Mario Kart's first foray into 3D and the second game in the series, featuring an assortment of various power-ups and characters with a distinct Mario vibe.

College downtime definitely not spent studying.

The_EDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By The_EDJ
    Long live MarioKart 64

Sitting on my computer as an old man of 22, I've began to reflect on the great experiences that college provided with all my friends. One thing that brings people together no matter what their background, is a good multi-player race of MarioKart. Whether you're a guy or a girl, geek, bookworm, jock, whatever you think you fall into, anybody is ready to pick up a controller and let the competitive madness ensue. The crazy times where people would whine about their character because they didn't like getting stuck with big slow Bowser when the other three characters were always Yoshi, Princess, and Toadstool. Everyone knew where the shortcuts were (or if you were less talented at the game, you prefer to call them cheats). And of course there were no shortages of random words never heard before when you shot somebody with a shell right before they could jump the walls at Wario Stadium. Hundreds of cuss words were shouted at each other and the heated arguments that would follow forced people to leave the room before chairs were thrown out of anger. A many a time our RA would walk down the hall having to threaten us to be quiet before we get written up, fined, or kicked out of the dorm. What was great about the 64 edition was its simplicity. There weren't the grainy and irritating 16-bit SNES graphics, (although battles are alot more fun on the original) and you didn't have the complication of say Double-Dash on GameCube. Everyone had played the 64 and it served up just enough to keep us entertained throughout the entire year, and then the next year, and then the next year. Hopefully it can entertain this entire year too, but with the release of ModNation Racers on the horizon for PS3 and PSP, it may look like I may start pushing my friends to try something new as we can build our own simple tracks to wreak havoc on each other with.
    The_EDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The_EDJ
    Long live MarioKart 64

Sitting on my computer as an old man of 22, I've began to reflect on the great experiences that college provided with all my friends. One thing that brings people together no matter what their background, is a good multi-player race of MarioKart. Whether you're a guy or a girl, geek, bookworm, jock, whatever you think you fall into, anybody is ready to pick up a controller and let the competitive madness ensue. The crazy times where people would whine about their character because they didn't like getting stuck with big slow Bowser when the other three characters were always Yoshi, Princess, and Toadstool. Everyone knew where the shortcuts were (or if you were less talented at the game, you prefer to call them cheats). And of course there were no shortages of random words never heard before when you shot somebody with a shell right before they could jump the walls at Wario Stadium. Hundreds of cuss words were shouted at each other and the heated arguments that would follow forced people to leave the room before chairs were thrown out of anger. A many a time our RA would walk down the hall having to threaten us to be quiet before we get written up, fined, or kicked out of the dorm. What was great about the 64 edition was its simplicity. There weren't the grainy and irritating 16-bit SNES graphics, (although battles are alot more fun on the original) and you didn't have the complication of say Double-Dash on GameCube. Everyone had played the 64 and it served up just enough to keep us entertained throughout the entire year, and then the next year, and then the next year. Hopefully it can entertain this entire year too, but with the release of ModNation Racers on the horizon for PS3 and PSP, it may look like I may start pushing my friends to try something new as we can build our own simple tracks to wreak havoc on each other with.
    odyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By odyssey

Agreed, you can get just about any college student to play Mario Kart. Chicks love that stuff.

But it doesn't sound like you tried Mario Kart Wii yet. You should, casual players LOVE that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Mario Kart 64 was amazing, Imma Wario IMMA GONNA WIN.

The_EDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_EDJ

It will be interesting to see how ModNation Racers evolves.  After putting some time in on the demo, the game is so easy to pick up and play making it a great party game.  The depth comes in trying to master the weapons and tracks themselves. 

The level editor is phenomenal as well.  Where LittleBigPlanet is big and overwhelming, MNR comes in under the simplistic and accessible category.  I've started created different levels, but my mind wanders into all sorts of different ideas and I can't complete a track that I truly love.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.