Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

Anybody want to teach a noob?

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BBQBram

So I got SFIV and the TE when they came out and have been playing it on and off for the last two years, never really getting into the finer points of the gameplay and competitive tactics. Something about it just seems impenetrable to me, especially compared to stuff like Tekken and Soul Calibur that I've been playing for years. 

Now with this game coming out, I thought I'd start fresh. I heard this game was a bit more easy-going in terms of pure execution and timing. So my question is if any of you vets want to take some time to show me the ropes. Not really a time-consuming training regimen, just some casual lessons in the basics and essentials would be nice.

I'm on Xbox Live as BBQ Bram. Hit me up here or there.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

This is a pretty good place to start: 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

Down, Towards, Punch for fireball.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BBQBram
    @RockyRaccoon37:  Thanks.

@KaosAngel: I think I've got that one down.

But really, I meant more in the sense of playing a few matches when the game is out and showing me some essential timing/reaction cues for the characters. Like shoryuken.com had the mentoring thread when SFIV launched.

Although watching that video, the combos seem a lot easier to string together. Is the timing on the links as strict as SF's?
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By StarvingGamer

Get it for PS3 and I'll teach you everything you could ever want to know about MvC3 :D

But what you're watching in combos are not links, they're chains.  Chains are nowhere near as strict to time as links and make up a majority of combos, but there will be links similar to in SFIV as well.  The difference is that while for a link, you have to wait for one animation to end before the other one begins which typically leaves a very small timing window of 1-3 frames.  Chains, however, cancel the animation of the previous attack to initiate the new attack.  Thus the timing window is significantly larger.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @BBQBram: I know the new game has some sort of "simple" control scheme that's probably good for beginners like you and me. I think you can find a picture of it on GB's page for MvC3.  

And yeah, get the PS3 version. Then I'll have someone of relative skill to play against. 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Pessh

You can't teach experience, play play play. Only way to get good.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BBQBram
    @StarvingGamer:@MooseyMcMan:
    Ah hell, I'm getting the 360 version since that's the system I own. Would be great to play with you guys.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @BBQBram: Well, I've been talking with some people on this forum about putting up a general FAQ / Q&A thread so keep your eyes peeled for that.  But let me know if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @MooseyMcMan: The only problem with simplified mode is it greatly limits your options.  If you just want to have fun and mash then year, go for it.  If you're looking to learn the game and develop your skills then starting with simplified mode will only cause you problems in the long haul.
    jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jtman54179

If you don't mind doing some reading I have tons of links to sites with information. There's a forum where I'm sure some people wouldn't mind helping you. I'm roughly a noob myself so I can't help as much as I'd like to.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @StarvingGamer said:

" @MooseyMcMan: The only problem with simplified mode is it greatly limits your options.  If you just want to have fun and mash then year, go for it.  If you're looking to learn the game and develop your skills then starting with simplified mode will only cause you problems in the long haul. "

Yeah, I know. I'm going to start out on normal, and try my best to "learn" the game, but I've never really been good at fighting games that aren't Smash Bros (and to a lesser extent Soul Calibur), so having an option in case I give up trying to use skill is great. It's always nice to have options. 
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Yanngc33
    @BBQBram: I'm in the same situation, I have a fightstick but I can't seem to "get" MvC 2. I'm thinking about starting fresh in the new one if you want I'll play you from time to time (on 360) but I really can't teach for shit. My gamertag is Mr Poopigiggles.

@StarvingGamer: That's a really great idea with gamertags so people can play together. I'd love to help but I kind of need that kind of FAQ

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.