Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

Convince me to buy this game, please.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iDarktread
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ricetopher

Don't know how you can declare that MvC3 is "broken and frustrating" without owning it.

VS games are never balanced, and this game has been way more fun that any "balanced" fighting game I've played.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

Do you like:

• Evil dudes with giant heads?
    • Darkstalkers?
    • Street Fighter?
    • Marvel?
    • to be taken for a ride?
    • the color mango?
    • Servbots?
    • flashy combos?
    • watching a crazy man break the fourth wall in his hyper combo?
    • crazy in general?
    • games that don't take themselves seriously at all?
    • being able to take down Galactus with a team comprised of an iron-clad superhero, a giant, angry green man, and a Chinese zombie?

If so, MvC3 is the game for you!
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By audiosnag

Do you have friends at your skill level you can play with?
    Do you have the patience and time to devote to getting good at this game?
    If not, do you have zero problem with getting your ass kicked repeatedly?
    If you answered yes to any of those questions, buy it.
    If not, don't.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Skald

Killzone 3 has a jetpack gun. 

Point for Killzone.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iDarktread

I love fighting games, especially lately since I now have an arcade stick. I've watched close to five hours of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 videos, and actually showed my mother Justin Wong destroying Sentinel with Wolverine and Akuma. I've gotten fairly good at BlazBlue Continuum Shift, and decided to play that recently over Super Street Fighter IV due to having trouble picking a character in the latter, while I feel deeply in love with Litchi's move set almost immediately. I've also spent the majority of my gaming career playing competitive shooters, but have grown tired of playing Halo: Reach and Blops. 

I actually got to the point in Blops where I didn't see any point in continuing playing simply because online match-making was no longer a challenge, and didn't feel like getting on a team and joining some league. I was hugely disappointed with Halo: Reach, having played nearly two years of Halo 3, and was very, very unhappy with the state Reach was released in, and only keep the game a part of my collection with the hope of a major patch being released at some point down the line. 

Anyways, I absolutely loved the Killzone 3 beta, which felt like a huge improvement over Killzone 2's multi-player. Tomorrow, I have just enough money to make one new purchase, and am having trouble deciding if I want to feed my interest in fighting games and hopefully get better sooner rather than later, or get another shooter that I will probably love, even though it's probably more of the same. 

The main reason I'm posting this on the Marvel 3 board is because I want to hear what the fans have to say about this new game, and if they feel that their experience with Marvel 3 was worth the 60 dollar price point. 

@ricetopher:  @Hailinel:  @audiosnag:  @extremeradical: I really shouldn't have made this a poll, or should have at least typed out my information before creating the poll, since my points are pushed pretty far down already.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By IBurningStar

Not answering your poll because I can't recommend Killzone 3 to you without calling MvC3 broken and frustrating.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By recroulette

"LIFE BAR IN YOUR FACE!!  

Feel the love of the hyper combo! 

And it's a HOOOOOOOOME RUNNNNNNNN!!!

This is the hyper commmbo!"

udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By udabenshen

One word: MODOK.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By audiosnag
    @iDarktread: 
    Yeah not being able to post before or while you post a poll is pretty annoying especially if you need to write an explanation.

I love the crap out of this game but it's not worth the money to me cause I know I don't have the time to get good at it. As much as I'd like to pick it up I'd be better off spending the money on something else (like Dead Space 2)
    If you're big into the game though it might be worth it for you.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iDarktread
    @IBurningStar: I really should have pre-typed my post before creating the poll, but I'm only making that an option for users to voice their opinions, and it doesn't necessarily reflect my own. I guess I shouldn't have called it broken in that option, though. Fuck, I'm bad at this.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

I own MvC 3 and it's great.  Not really sure how deep I will get into it since I like SSFIV more and would rather become gawtlike in that game.

I say get the game that you will think will last you longer.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SuperWristBands

I say buy it. I don't have any good reasons to offer other then that I am having a lot of fun with it and I like how its not to hard to get into like other fighting games can be.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kishan6
    @iDarktread: just out of curiousity what did you like about halo 3 that you didnt like about reach? 
    Pretty much everyone I have talked to about it thinks that if you liked h2 multi more than h3 multi you will also like halo reach multi more than h3
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slaker117

I've always had a distant interest in fighting games, but I find it really hard to justify the price to myself. I realize that a lot of work goes into them, balancing and such, but when you look at the total file size or think about the complexity of the engine, it just doesn't seem right that they cost as much as their contemporaries. I realize that's superficial judgment, but still, $60 is too much for me.

I don't want to seem like a prick, there are definitely those of you who get your money's worth out of it, and that's great, but as someone who is outside of that contingency, something like MvC3 just doesn't compare to the expansive, detailed, busy world of RDR, or the feature rich and properly networked Halo: Reach.

So I guess I'm saying get Killzone 3.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iDarktread
    @kishan6 said:

" @iDarktread: just out of curiousity what did you like about halo 3 that you didnt like about reach? Pretty much everyone I have talked to about it thinks that if you liked h2 multi more than h3 multi you will also like halo reach multi more than h3

Here are three good complaints I have with Halo: Reach. I never owned an original Xbox, even though I wanted to, so I never got around to playing Halo 2, and only played Halo 1 on the PC. I may very well purchase Halo 2 Vista in the coming months, as I'm pretty it still has a somewhat active community. 

• The bloom on the DMR is absolutely game-breaking. For anyone who doesn't want to believe it, go play Shadowrun, a game that is extremely under appreciated and handles bloom wonderfully. I'd probably be playing it right now if there were more people online.
    • Lack of real ranking system, though Bungie has apparently working on tweaks to the Arena the past week or so. Sadly, though, Arena has never been worth playing since the game released due to horrifically unbalanced game-types and maps, and Bungie isn't worried about that.
    • The fact that MLGis not a ranked playlist is nothing less than a slap in the face to the competitive community, myself included. This is not only because playing feels worthless since the skill gap has been demolished by randomized game-play, but because even with "true-skill being present in every playlist," I would get players in my game going -20, and get matched up against full parties of four, which forces one to play custom games. While I played thousands of custom games in Halo 3, I've noticed that more people complain in Reach than the other Halo games, and makes planning and playing customs annoying.

Going back to Halo 3 online, cheaters have basically made me give up on console first-person-shooters in their entirety, even though I've been playing them for years. If you want me to explain this intense frustration, feel free to send me another message, though it's something you probably don't want to hear.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slaker117
    @iDarktread:  Could you explain how DMR bloom is broken? I'm still playing and not aware of any issues.
    Zaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zaft

Play a unique fighting game with some minor problems that will be fixed in an upcoming patch, or play one of the most bland, generic shooting games out there.

Tough choice.

If you want a good PS3 shooter (lulz), and haven't already purchased it, grab Resistance. Brilliant series.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RsistncE
    @Zaft said:
    " Play a unique fighting game with some minor problems that will be fixed in an upcoming patch, or play one of the most bland, generic shooting games out there.  Tough choice.   If you want a good PS3 shooter (lulz), and haven't already purchased it, grab Resistance. Brilliant series. "
    The same could be said about MvC 3. The Killzone 3 beta was excellent and actually convinced me to buy the game. On the other hand I bought MvC3 also because it's a pretty fun game and I wouldn't mind getting better at it. At the end of the day it really comes down to which genre you enjoy more.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By KaosAngel

It has good music.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By carlthenimrod

I own MVC 3 but I don't recommend buying it. It's pretty bare-bones and it is busted at the moment online (not talking about balance but connecting to other players). They'll probably release a more fully featured version down the line which will include all the DLC characters and what not. Can't say much about Killzone 3 because I haven't played it but I say hold off on MVC 3.

Edit: My post count is 1,234 at the moment. Radical!!

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iDarktread
    @Slaker117 said:

" @iDarktread:  Could you explain how DMR bloom is broken? I'm still playing and not aware of any issues. "  

I can't seem to find the post someone created on MajorLeagueGaming.com a while ago that explained this more scientifically than I'm about to, but I'll try and make it quick and simple. 

Ranges explained with the DRM, the staple weapon for Halo: Reach
    Close: Spam exclusively even for last shot.
    Close-Mid: Spam exclusively even for the last shot.
    Mid: Spam almost exclusively, like the closer ranges, but possibly let last shot reset before firing.
    Mid-Long: Shoot twice, let bloom reset, shoot twice, let bloom reset, shoot, or shoot twice, let bloom reset, shoot twice, let bloom reset, spam. 
    Long-Range: Pace shots, as explained above, and crouching helps slightly more. 

While this sounds alright on paper, there's a huge problem with this in-game, which is the randomness of landing shots, particularly the last shot, especially, well, mostly, wiith the Designated Marksman Rifle. Since the bloom doesn't punish enough for spamming your shots, in the time it takes for the bloom to reset fully to guarantee a headshot to finish an opponent, that opponent has the chance to kill you at many ranges by hammering the trigger exclusively. If you need a further, more detailed explanation on why the bloom doesn't work as is and requires a patch for me and many others to continue playing the game competitively, just ask.

When I played Halo 3 online for those two years, the only thing that I had to fight aside from my opponents was the connection to the host, which I never received, and the lack of hitscan, which was the biggest fault of that game, something Halo: Reach includes, and one of the few things it gets right.
    wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By wwfundertaker

If you need convincing on a game, then i would rent it first.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Slaker117
    @iDarktread:  Hm. I'll keep that in mind next time I play, but I never felt the game was unbalanced myself. Though if your visiting MLG, you probably are looking at a higher level of play than I'm at. Not that I can't hold my own. 1.1 K/D isn't near impressive, but I know what I'm doing.

Also, my roommate totally brought that down. I don't suck, I swear. :P
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iDarktread
    @Slaker117: The hype surround Reach's release is what probably made as disappointed as I am with it's multi-player. 
    " @iDarktread:  I'll keep that in mind next time I play, but I never felt the game was unbalanced myself. "
    The range tips I shared are very accurate, and they may improve your game if you understand their timing, especially the 1, 2, reset, 3, 4, reset, 5 pattern that always works long range. The game is decent enough as a casual game, of course, so don't let my negativity influence your experience. :3
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Slaker117
    @iDarktread:  Thanks, I'll try that, though I seem to win most of my DMR duels anyway. May not have know about this, but I've played enough to get a rhythm down.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StaticFalconar

You should probably get the game. The so called online problems are in ranked due to having the game actively trying to search for an opponent for you. Since all I do is play with people on my friends list, finding and connecting to a match is never a problem. Yes Marvel is super fast and all, but honestly most regular combos take off a pretty big chunk of your life much less the harder ones that you have to train for. Working on what I should do in this situation (and reaction speed as well) is much more important then going to training mode no matter what others say. If you were down with BlazBlue, then you would probably be down with this. 

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By hansolol

30.6% of people who voted on this poll are jealous at how much fun the rest of us are having.

Zaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zaft
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Zaft said:
    " Play a unique fighting game with some minor problems that will be fixed in an upcoming patch, or play one of the most bland, generic shooting games out there.  Tough choice.   If you want a good PS3 shooter (lulz), and haven't already purchased it, grab Resistance. Brilliant series. "
    The same could be said about MvC 3. The Killzone 3 beta was excellent and actually convinced me to buy the game. On the other hand I bought MvC3 also because it's a pretty fun game and I wouldn't mind getting better at it. At the end of the day it really comes down to which genre you enjoy more. "
    True. That and your own personal tastes. I prefer shooters to fighters most any day, but Killzone simply feels too bland to me. I can run around with Halo, Call of Duty, Resistance, Quake, Doom, and whatever else all day, but Killzone's just kinda "eeeeeehhhh."
    Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sogeman
    If you need convincing, don't buy it
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By eric_buck

Wait until Mortal Kombat. DO IT!

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bestostero

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By Yanngc33

MvC 3 requires skill. The question you must ask yourself is: do I have enough skill ?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@JJOR64 said:

" I own MvC 3 and it's great.  Not really sure how deep I will get into it since I like SSFIV more and would rather become gawtlike in that game.  I say get the game that you will think will last you longer. "

Everything this man say, I agree with.

Most importantly, though, read the last line. 

Edit: That said, I really, REALLY like this game.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

If you need convincing, this game isn't for you.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeffsekai

Stop being a bitch and buy the game, it's easy as hell to pick up and start doing combos, and it has MARVEL AND CAPCOM CHARACTERS.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kishan6
    @iDarktread: Also out of curiosity lol what is so game breaking about the bloom on the DMR specifically? 

And i totally agree with you on your 3rd point.  Mostly with the not showing your ranking thing... 

I mostly play BC2 on PC but if i had to use my 360 for something other than netflix it would probably be used for Halo reach and Gears.... AND saints row 1.....
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Rhaknar

hate people asking to be convinced to buy games... use your fucking brain and decide yourself, how the hell should we know what you like

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @TooWalrus said:
    " If you need convincing, this game isn't for you. "
    JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JokerFrown

Just remember folks. 

"Capcom Presents: Marvel Comics"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.