Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

I'm not huge on fighting games...

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matpaget

truthfully, I downright suck! I want to love this game and I want to be good at it. 

By now there's enough videos showing how this game plays and I was wondering if anyone knows if this game plays like MvC 2? 
    I own MvC 2 (mostly because it was on sale, and I've always loved that game since I played it in an arcade), but I suck so much at it and I just can't seem to get any better.

I love Marvel and I love Capcom so do you think that this game will be a good "introduction" to fighting games for me? 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

Famous last words. I remember saying them about Super Street Fighter IV.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

A bit like Mahvel 2 and from what I heard Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Although the control system changed once again, there is a simple operation mode for beginners.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Don't be intimidated. Capcom has done quite a bit to make this one more accessible to people who don't know much about actually playing it (like you and me). 

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By matpaget
    @ThePhantomnaut: The simple mode is what's got me so interested! 
    I've got a lot of friends buying it, so I'll probably play it at their house all day and then decide if I want to buy it or not
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @MatPaget: That's definitely the thing to do; I've been trying to convince a friend of mine to buy it first so I can try it out. 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Pessh

You could always have a look at the identical thread half way down the page, or I'm pretty sure there's a stickied thread for simple questions like this. I could be wrong though.

MvC is hard, simple mode is awful, you're handicapping yourself and it won't benefit you in the slightest if you want to get good. If you want to mash random buttons and jizz over magneto fighting wesker I think you'll enjoy it. You said you want to be good at it though, so I wouldn't suggest you get it. Pick up SSF4 first, cheap, much more approachable. If you can't play that to a decent level you've got no chance in Marvel.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By matpaget
    @MooseyMcMan:  
    I'm happy that the majority of my friends are getting this game =P  

@Pessh:  
    I played A LOT of Soul Calibur II and got good at it 
    That's a 3D fighter though and this is 2D so I don't know if that'll translate well other than memorizing combos and what not. 
    I have played a couple fighters and really enjoyed them. 
    And for this game I'm really interested in the characters and what's going to happen in their "story lines"  
    AlphaCentauri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By AlphaCentauri

I'm not either OP

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By TechHits
    @MatPaget:  Don't let people tell you that you cant get into this game. At its core its a simple game, three attacks, two assists, and a launcher; easy. your not gonna need to use simple mode, and plus theres gonna be tons of people who are just like you and haven't played a 2D fighting game in a long time. So you should get it, and you definitely don't need to get any other games to "catch up" on fighting games or any nonsense like that. Its gonna be awesome.    
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By melcene
    @MatPaget said:
    "  That's a 3D fighter though and this is 2D "
    I don't usually keep up on fighting games (they're often just an impulse purchase) but this was good to find out.  Though I'm not sure how I feel about it.  When SSIV came out, I was excited because I played Street Fighter back in the day, and the game was cool for a bit for nostalgia purposes, but I just couldn't get into it.  
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By matpaget
    @TechHits: I'm going to have to take a bus to my bud's house on Tuesday to play it =P
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By awesomeusername
    @MatPaget said:
    " truthfully, I downright suck! I want to love this game and I want to be good at it.   
    I'm the same way man. Me and fighting games= never.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pessh said:
    " You could always have a look at the identical thread half way down the page, or I'm pretty sure there's a stickied thread for simple questions like this. I could be wrong though.  MvC is hard, simple mode is awful, you're handicapping yourself and it won't benefit you in the slightest if you want to get good. If you want to mash random buttons and jizz over magneto fighting wesker I think you'll enjoy it. You said you want to be good at it though, so I wouldn't suggest you get it. Pick up SSF4 first, cheap, much more approachable. If you can't play that to a decent level you've got no chance in Marvel. "
    I would not listen to this guy at all. MvC is nothing like Street Fighter so playing SSF4 would hardly benefit you at all. Just try it out somewhere, find the characters you like and are good with and then practice like hell.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @xSUFFOKATEx
    @Pessh said:
    " You could always have a look at the identical thread half way down the page, or I'm pretty sure there's a stickied thread for simple questions like this. I could be wrong though.  MvC is hard, simple mode is awful, you're handicapping yourself and it won't benefit you in the slightest if you want to get good. If you want to mash random buttons and jizz over magneto fighting wesker I think you'll enjoy it. You said you want to be good at it though, so I wouldn't suggest you get it. Pick up SSF4 first, cheap, much more approachable. If you can't play that to a decent level you've got no chance in Marvel. "
    I would not listen to this guy at all. MvC is nothing like Street Fighter so playing SSF4 would hardly benefit you at all. Just try it out somewhere, find the characters you like and are good with and then practice like hell.
    At the most basic of levels, SF and MvC are exactly the same. Movement, attacking, specials, blocking, if you can't do them in SF then you can't do them in MvC. But if you can do them in SF, you're going to have a great foundation to start learning the mechanics that make MvC different.
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By TechHits
    @MatPaget: well make sure to post the results and not keep us all in suspense. :P 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pessh
    @xSUFFOKATEx said:
    " @Pessh said:
    I would not listen to this guy at all. MvC is nothing like Street Fighter so playing SSF4 would hardly benefit you at all. Just try it out somewhere, find the characters you like and are good with and then practice like hell. "
    No shit, I never actually said they were alike though...
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Gaff
    @MatPaget If you're tempted by the characters, by all means, go for it! Capcom has done a great job filing up the gallery in MvC3: Biographies, complete with their first appearance in comics / games and Marvel's power ratings, 3D model viewer, etc.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

I'm buying it, and I have certified proof with my time in SSFIV that I'm going to suck. So come join me, and we'll suck together! 
    ..Maybe I should rephrase that last part.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @Abyssfull said:
    " I'm buying it, and I have certified proof with my time in SSFIV that I'm going to suck. So come join me, and we'll suck together! ..Maybe I should rephrase that last part. "
    No, I think that was great phrasing. And I'll be there sucking with you too! 

Okay, maybe it was poorly worded...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pessh said:
    "No shit, I never actually said they were alike though... "

Uh not the point I was making. The point was that he doesn't need to buy SSF4 to understand MvC3 because the basics are the same so he should just practice MvC3.
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By matpaget
    @Abyssfull: 
    @MooseyMcMan:  
    I couldn't think of two guys I'd rather suck with! 

@TechHits:  
    I will record my adventure!  
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pessh

What a dumbass... 

@xSUFFOKATEx

said:

I would not listen to this guy at all. MvC is nothing like Street Fighter so playing SSF4 would hardly benefit you at all. Just try it out somewhere, find the characters you like and are good with and then practice like hell. "

Uh not the point I was making. The point was that he doesn't need to buy SSF4 to understand MvC3 because the basics are the same so he should just practice MvC3. "

lol?

You were right the first time, they're nothing alike, mechanically Marvel is far more complex with wave dashing, assists, tagging, variable counters, dhcs, otg, xfactor, push block, triangle/square jumps and he may struggle without a background in fighting games. I suggested SSF4 as it's all footsies and far more approachable, in the OP he asked for a game that he could get good at and one that is a good introduction to fighting games, SSF4 is better in both respects. But he's decided to go with Marvel so it's all good, no need to embarrass yourself anymore.

@MatPaget: glhb
    Avatar image for Unannounced_Fart
    Omelet_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Omelet_Pants
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " I'm buying it, and I have certified proof with my time in SSFIV that I'm going to suck. So come join me, and we'll suck together! ..Maybe I should rephrase that last part. "
    No, I think that was great phrasing. And I'll be there sucking with you too!  Okay, maybe it was poorly worded... "
    I suck, too, so maybe we can all suck together, kinda like a threesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.