Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

BioWare's Mass Effect 2 Teaser

KensterFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

Edited By KensterFox

This post relates to the new ME2 teaser trailer, so if you haven't seen it, go see it... somewhere. Like masseffect.com.

OK, you're back? Good.

Is Shepard really dead in Mass Effect 2? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that one way or the other, you're not going to be playing as Shepard in the second game.

When BioWare said that you'd be able to port your saves over from ME1, they never said you'd be playing as the same character. Instead, the save will affect ME2's backstory - for instance if you played a female Shepard and don't port your save over to ME2, then the supposedly dearly departed Shepard will be male. If you do port the save over, however, Shepard will be female. Other likely influences: whether Shepard was a Paragon, Renegade, or both, whether Shepard had a romantic liason with Kaidan, Ashley, or Liara (I can't wait to talk to my Shepard's asari daughter), whether Shepard killed the rachni queen on Noveria or the asari communicator on Feros, etc.

This is similar to what they did at the beginning of Knights of the Old Republic 2, where they had the player fill in details about Darth Revan which were variable in the events of KotOR 1 (male or female, Jedi or Sith). So BioWare's pulled this trick before, they're just finding a smoother way to do it.

KensterFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By KensterFox

This post relates to the new ME2 teaser trailer, so if you haven't seen it, go see it... somewhere. Like masseffect.com.

OK, you're back? Good.

Is Shepard really dead in Mass Effect 2? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that one way or the other, you're not going to be playing as Shepard in the second game.

When BioWare said that you'd be able to port your saves over from ME1, they never said you'd be playing as the same character. Instead, the save will affect ME2's backstory - for instance if you played a female Shepard and don't port your save over to ME2, then the supposedly dearly departed Shepard will be male. If you do port the save over, however, Shepard will be female. Other likely influences: whether Shepard was a Paragon, Renegade, or both, whether Shepard had a romantic liason with Kaidan, Ashley, or Liara (I can't wait to talk to my Shepard's asari daughter), whether Shepard killed the rachni queen on Noveria or the asari communicator on Feros, etc.

This is similar to what they did at the beginning of Knights of the Old Republic 2, where they had the player fill in details about Darth Revan which were variable in the events of KotOR 1 (male or female, Jedi or Sith). So BioWare's pulled this trick before, they're just finding a smoother way to do it.

Avatar image for parrapatehrappa
    ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ParrapatehRappa

I personally think that Shepard is dead. However, depending on which female you decided to fuck in the first ME, I'm thinking you may get to play as the son or daughter of Shepard, be it alien or human.

Now I am aware of how many loop holes there are in this theory, things like whether one decided to let Ashley or Kaiden die in the first, or if anyone even pursued trying to screw Liara or Ashley, or Kaiden at all. I love speculation like this, but knowing Bioware, they did something incredibly similar to what we're describing OP.

Who knows, maybe we'll play as a Geth, even though that would be incredibly lame and unlikely.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

^^^

No. We're not gonna be playing as Shepard's son. I think IF Shepard is dead (which I doubt), you'll play as someone that knew him. Be it a trainee, an old war buddy...I don't know.
    Also: playing as an alien would be awesome. Not because we get to play as an alien, but because we get to see how other species react to a species different from human. Playing as a Turian would be pretty cool.
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Shepard dies and comes back like Robo Cop but inside of a Geth sub-form of your choice at the start of the game with your previous stats intact, seeking vengeance on those who have wrong the Galaxy.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red
    Captain_Fookup said:
    "Shepard dies and comes back like Robo Cop but inside of a Geth sub-form of your choice at the start of the game with your previous stats intact, seeking vengeance on those who have wrong the Galaxy."
    Win.
    Mexalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Mexalen

ME is about how humanity fits into the galaxy, with all these other species. The way you, as a player, reacted to all these. If you read the novels, (they aren't that bad, give it a try), you get a sense where they intend to lead with their story line. I am pretty sure, that Cerberus is going to take a bigger part. And politics too. 

Maybe Shep is just missing, and you are going to look for him, find him  in the end and in the 3rd game you can decide to play with either Shep or your dude from ME2 :)
    If Shepard is dead in the 2nd game, I wouldn't mind at all, as long as my actions from the 1st one still have consequences, and people remember him. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.