Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Character Continuation

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MarkWahlberg

So they've said that your character from ME1 can carry over, but is there any way to change them in the new game, if by the end of the first you decided there was something you didn't like about them? Can you turn them into a different class or alter their appearance, or do you just have to start all over? 

They also say your choices from the first affect this one as well (  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.) If you don't use your old person, does that mean you can set up what choices your new guy made (like with the background option in the first)? Or do new characters just get a set universe to play in?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Your spoiler warning failed.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

From what I've read on the Bioware forums, everything you did in ME1 is set in stone.  You can go back and do a second playthrough with your same character, and have that playthrough's decisions transfer to ME2, but you cannot "flip a switch" and redo any of your choices.

If you choose to not carry over your save, you will create a new character.  During the character creation, the game will ask you questions about your character's past (just like in ME1, although I'm sure it will be more in-depth this time around), and those answers will auto-select the major choices in the first game for you.  

For example (ME1 spoilers ahead):

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By dagas
    @Andorski: So if I played several times with the same character, the latest playthrough will be used? That is too bad because I consider my first play through to be the correct one while the others I fooled around a lot. I would really like to know this in case I have to go back and play ME1 again to set things streight, becuase I don't want my latest save to carry over.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Andorski
    @dagas: From the way the dev guy explained it on the forums, you will be able to choose which playthrough you want to continue with if you played through the game multiple times.  So if you played through the campaign 3 times, you can choose either the first, second, or third playthough to be used as your "history" for ME2.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By NoXious
    @dagas:

If it is like on the PC - for each playthrough there'll be a 'character' save that basically contains the information of your character and it's choices.
    Say for example you start a new game now and decide to play with a previous character - you'll get an oversight of all your playthroughs.

The only problem I had with it is that it's hard to choose which one as the choices aren't displayed on screen (at least not in ME1) so I'm left guessing which character I want to play.
    Thankfully I play on the PC and just cut+paste the character saves into a back-up folder, so I'll have the perfect playthrough setup for the release of ME2.

EDIT: For those of you interested the folder on my machine was found in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.