Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Does anyone else feel like Singularity is much weaker in ME2?

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By mordecaix7

I'm not sure if maybe there is something else at play but I upgraded Singularity to Wide Singularity and I've noticed that when I launch it at enemies, it's very rare that they actually get caught in it and hover.  Just a couple of months ago I was playing through ME1 and Singularity was practically the win button, lifting everyone and they're brother in the air.  In ME2 I'm lucky if one guy gets caught in it.  

Does anyone else notice this or am I doing something wrong? 

*Edit*: Okay what the hell, I was in the Mass Effect 2 forum and click to start a new post.  It no longer by default attaches to the same forum?  UGH  If a mod sees this, please move it to the Mass Effect 2 forum, thanks.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ
    @mordecaix7: No there's a glitch that moves threads, that's all. 

Well have you tried doing the singularity that isn't wide? The focused one?
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordecaix7
    @XII_Sniper: I could try the more focused one.  Before I upgraded it, I was still lucky if I got anyone caught in it so I figured the wide one would help with that.  I'll retrain my powers tonight and see if it changes. 

I have noted that Shockwave is a really awesome power for groups.  Especially around narrow ledges :)
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By innacces14

Much of the powers in ME1 worked regardless of enemies having shields up. Singularity in ME2 only works against baddies that are down to their health meter. I would suggest using singularity to filter choke points so that when you break through someones armor,. shields, or barrier they are immediately pulled in by said power.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordecaix7
    @innacces14: Aha!  That makes sense!  I have been facing many enemies lately with shields and armor.  Thanks for the clarification.
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By innacces14

Glad to help. =]

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikkaQ
    @mordecaix7:  I usually did the whole focused skill instead of the multiple enemy skill, and when I was soldiering, I tried group disruptor ammo, was pretty neat, but ultimately killing individual enemies faster will make it so there are less people shooting at you gradually, instead of taking a ton of damage and slowly killing them all at the same time.  

@innacces14:  That also makes total sense. Maybe the best thing to do is to weaken or disable shields with suppressing fire, then cast singularity. That would devastate on bottlenecks in the game.
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By innacces14
    @XII_Sniper: Thing is that singularity can still do damage to shields, barriers, and armor. It's signature effect can never come to fruition until the said meters are shot down, but a side effect from using singularity on those kinds of enemies is that they get stunned. They start doing that flinching motion Shepard does when shot by a rocket launcher.

So with singularity up and a whole batch of enemies with armor/barrier/shields taken aback by said power should give the player the opportunity to rain bullets. Keep in mind that this is where talents that are widespread shine. Having that many enemies in one spot and buffing talents to play on singularity can take your team through a walk in the park.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dany

I don't like that the majority of the biotics can't work in higher difficulties since they all ahve armor, shields and barriers.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy

And while they're floating around, warp them. The whole group of them will explode, it's awesome. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ
    @innacces14: That's true, I should give it a shot. Too bad they don't let biotics have that tight machine gun soldiers get. That plus singularity would just allow you to shred through any pile of enemies. 
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By innacces14
    @XII_Sniper: I hear ya, man. I still appreciate the uniqueness in every class though. This game has become my new Star Fox 64 (picking which missions to do and all that jibber jabber, haha).

Also through the wonders of YouTube and searching for "Mass Effect 2 singularity" I found a vid of a user called ThatAverageGatsby who puts the power through it's paces. Because words can only go so far, you know? lol

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ
    @innacces14:  Yeah the unique classes give it much replay value. Speaking of which, it's been a couple months, I'm due for a second full playthrough. I did soldier first, but dunno what I'm doing next. 

That video's pretty funny, and effectively solves the thread, I'd say.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#14  Edited By citizenkane
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By innacces14
    @XII_Sniper:  I suggest using a class that is completely void of any weapons training (Adept, Engineer, and Sentinel). Having that factor thrown out the window means that you'll have to rely on the AI partners to finish enemies off while you play the supporting role by debuffing enemy shields or (lets stay on topic one way or another) using singularity to keep enemies at bay, lol.

I totally get what you're going through. I personally haven't touched commando at all and I mean both ME games, haha. Part of the reason why is cause I love sniping in any game so with a class like the infiltrator that totally plays towards the sniping role was up my alley by the assload, lol. After doing everything with that class though I had the epiphany that I've only played $10 of a $60 dollar game so playing a different class was a must for me.
    laalipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By laalipop

Get to the collectors ship, take a sniper, cast singularity and snipe down armors while its in transit. Singularity is slow and when cast from a distance will give you time to line up shots.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By sickVisionz
    @innacces14 said:
    "    
      "
    I think there is something suspect in that video.  Garrus ran completely in the middle of the combat area with a collector assassin and multiple collectors in play and didn't even get touched.  If that happens to me, the teammate is dead in 3 seconds max. 

I didn't know that a singularity stops Scions from ever trying to attack anyone.  That's pretty useful.
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By innacces14
    @sickVisionz: Lucky break I guess, haha. Games are games so by all means you got to keep in mind when playing them that shit happens for better or worse. I personally don't doubt that the vid was done in a single take though, but sweet jesus the guy who recorded it got the job done, lol!
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Capum15

Even though Adept is still a power house, they got 'nerfed' hard when they put the global cool down on. You were pretty much a God. Infinite Barrier, use each attack power, by the time you've used them all you can start using them again. And those Spectre Shotguns were pretty much game breakers (and pistols, with two of those anti-heat things you can shoot forever).

Still, Adept is my favorite (though Infiltrator is really close, and Engineer is right below them). You just have to think a bit more instead of spamming "win" buttons.

Kinda do miss my win buttons though.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By sickVisionz
    @Capum15 said:

" And those Spectre Shotguns were pretty much game breakers (and pistols, with two of those anti-heat things you can shoot forever). "

Yeah, those Spectre weapons were great.  I only used pistols but a level 7 spectre one was significantly better than anything else even at level 10.  Gun mods were pretty assume as well.  You could really tweak out how you wanted to deal with enemies. 

I'd like to recant what I said earlier about that video.  I just played the Collector ship on Insanity and holy crap, singularity is crazy useful.  I don't recall the game ever saying this, but Singularity stops enemies from attacking, even if they have armor and don't go floating off in the air.  Almost seems like a glitch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.