Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

I'm finding this game kinda boring. Help?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By armaan8014

I really loved the first one. The plot was full of twists and turns and you were discovering new angles to the story with each mission. The whole game was very well written and played out. 
    But i'm just getting really tired of ME2. There's hardly a good story to keep me going (Except the start, that was pretty kick ass). I also enjoyed recruiting archangel, that was a ME1 kind of moment :D
    One of the things that is really bugging me are the settlements. It's really boring to run around in the cities looking for people to talk to and doing dry side quests. 

One thing that really disappointed me was the companion/crew interaction. A girl could come and kiss Shepard, and his companions would just stare blankly as if spaced out. Maybe that's because they had done it so well in DA:O, where there were a lot of consequences of every action and all the companions felt really alive, and so I was expecting something similar in ME2. But people are just completely silent in this game.
    Though I do love the combat, it feels like that's the only thing worth doing in this game. And frankly, it's getting repetitive at this stage.
    Really, there's nothing epic, emotional or just awesome going on in this game.
    So does this continue throughout the game? Or am I on the brink of mind blowing awesome super cool story mind fucking? 
    I wanna enjoy this game, but it's not happening!

avengedxsniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By avengedxsniper

It was pretty much the opposite for me. Don't get me wrong I love the first one, I just felt that I was spending way to much time down at the lockers making sure that everyone had the best equipment. I didn't like the fact that I had a new crew in the beginning but when I started to get farther in the game and I start the loyalty missions I really started to like this crew better than the old one. I think the loyalty missions were a great idea because it gave you a little more understanding with each character. 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By armaan8014
    @avengedxsniper:   
    Yeah I just finished the missions for Jacob and Miranda. But I don't know why, I kind of start feeling tired while playing the game, and I quit playing. And that's strange, because I can go on for hours playing games. But were you disappointed by the story and the characters compared to the first one?
    newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By newhaap
    @armaan8014: Yes, I think the story in Mass Effect 2 is more straightforward than the first one, no big revelations etc. But I think it has a lot more interesting characters, so that makes up for it for me. SPOILER (kind of), there will be points in the game with conflicts between your team members, and I thought those are pretty good in fleshing out their characters a bit more, although they're very short sequences.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

The game's worth it just for the Suicide Mission at the end. Pull through!!

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By armaan8014
    @Abyssfull: oh I sure will! I never leave games before seeing the credits roll.
    But I have been doing a lot (all) side missions I can find, and have been playing the game slowly so as to not rush through it.
    Do you think it will be better if I get on with the story and the important missions?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust
    @armaan8014 said:
    " @Abyssfull: oh I sure will! I never leave games before seeing the credits roll. But I have been doing a lot (all) side missions I can find, and have been playing the game slowly so as to not rush through it. Do you think it will be better if I get on with the story and the important missions? "
    Do it. and see what happens, the way you play the game influences the ending you have.  

The game doesn't have many twists, but it has some very good characters. :p
    amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By amoremono1

The story (plot-wise) does get better towards the end, but its not anything earth-shaking.  The game tried to make this story character driven as opposed to plot driven, and imo they succeeded.

I hope now that theyve fleshed out a nice cast of characters, they focus more on plot for the next go; unfotunately for you, this 30-40 hour game only has about 2 hours tops of plot points....

if youre enjoying the time learning about the characters and want to see them stick around for awhile, do the missions.  If not, the end is pretty damn cool, no matter which way you play the rest of the game....

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Lawrens

Put it on harder difficulties, if it's still not fun, then there's probably no hope and you'll need to grind through it to the end.

fri3drich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By fri3drich

ME1 is one of my favorite games. To me it was like a playable hard-scince-fiction novel. ME2 on the other hand I did not find interesting at all. Game mechanics and story-wise. Too much streamlining, too less niche/nerdcore-appeal. As if it was made by and for completely different people. Im not so sure if I should finish it. It seems everybody claims that the suicide mission at the end is worth it. Maybe Im just too pissed about what they did with the game I cared so much about.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azrail

learn to enjoy good games? 

at least u like doa so it shows u do actually have good tastes 
    and i agree me2 story is weaker than me1's, but otherwise it better in every way

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By armaan8014
    @amoremono1:
     Well, yes. The loyalty missions are kind of fun. I'll go through most/all of them. But I guess I'll skip the other errand quests that are found in many of the settlements. I had actually skipped the majority of side quests in ME1, maybe I should do the same here!

@fri3drich:
    Looks like you're more disappointed by it than I am! Guess you should just forget everything else and just storm towards the end. (That's kind of what I'm gonna do, but I'll also be doing all loyalty missions)
    @Lawrens: 
      I've been playing it on Veteran, and the difficulty is just right for me. Combat is pretty good, but it doesn't help much.

@Azrail:
    you said doa... That's dead or alive :P
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta

ME1 was the most basic upon basic of bioware plots and that got old to me fast; at least ME2 had you doing something different as far as the missions went.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lawrens
    @armaan8014:
    Yea other than a few loyalty missions for if you care about the characters, it doesn't really get any better until the end of the game. 
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 9cupsoftea

You should have played it when the hype was on.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By amoremono1

@ amaan: Im with you, I skipped alot of thew sidequests in ME1 too, mostly because it was the same level over, and over, and over again.  ME2 I did more of them, because at least the missions were varied and the levels looked and played differently.

I know Im going to get freaking lampooned for this, but I think ME2's story, while certainly not as striking as ME1's, did what it should have and well.  (Really, in all honesty, ME1's story was good, but not as good as some people like to claim.  It was fairly straightforward at the very least).  To me, ME is alot like Star Wars.  The first sets up a fantastic scene and brewing epic conflict (borrowing elements from all sorts of other ips the whole way).  The end sees you winning a small battle in the brewing war.  The second fleshes out characters and foreshadows the climax to come in the third.  It partly does this through an ambiguous, inconclusive, open-for-interpretation ending.  The third has the responsibility of carrying forward elements of both and hopefully coming to a satisfying climax.  In that regard, ME2's story was spot-on so long as they can hit the right note with 3.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By armaan8014
    @amoremono1: hmm... yes. True.
    Guess I'll get on with the story then, and see what it's all about.
    RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By RedneckedCrake

I actually had much the same problem that you did. I had a hard time getting into the game mostly because of the way they handled the characterization of the party members. There should have been more dialogue during quests, more banter back and forth between party members as you walk around, and more things to say to them on the Normandy. It was strange after finding Garrus that he doesn't really talk to you all that much. You'd think old buds like Shep and Garrus would be sharing all kinds of awesome stuff. In my opinion, the relationship between Alistair and the Warden IF you choose to become good friends with Alistair, is what the Garrus and Shepard relationship should of been. 

Furthermore, the quest commentary in Dragon Age was great. Whenever you made a decision, one or two of your party members would comment on it. This NEEDS to happen ALL THE TIME in RPGs from now on. For small decisions too. There just needs to be more dialogue, and more things you can talk about with party members. Dragon Age really outdid Mass Effect 2 in this category. 

As for combat, I generally approve of the combat in Mass Effect 2. You just have to mix things up and play an Adept or something. If you want to play Soldiers (as I often do because I have zero creativity) then use all the different weapons and experiment.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Like usual, you probally need a second playthrough to enjoy the game. Later on in the game near the end you will get all the emotions you are looking for. Right now focus on building your team.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

The best I can do is say its not a very long game and the final mission isn't really hard. The hacking sucks, probing sucks, and combat never evolves so it quickly gets boring. I won the first fight in the game using the same "strategy" as the last fight. You're playing this game for the characters, so if that's not appealing to you I'd just give it up.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mazik765
    @armaan8014:  I wouldn't agree that any of the problems you mentioned are present in the game at all, but I guess that is just a difference of opinion. I thought the story was great and the character interactions were very well done (with the exception of the DLC characters, but even those I didn't mind). 

@ryanwho:  Stop playing on easy then?
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By armaan8014
    @RedneckedCrake said:
    " I actually had much the same problem that you did. I had a hard time getting into the game mostly because of the way they handled the characterization of the party members. There should have been more dialogue during quests, more banter back and forth between party members as you walk around, and more things to say to them on the Normandy. It was strange after finding Garrus that he doesn't really talk to you all that much. You'd think old buds like Shep and Garrus would be sharing all kinds of awesome stuff. In my opinion, the relationship between Alistair and the Warden IF you choose to become good friends with Alistair, is what the Garrus and Shepard relationship should of been.  Furthermore, the quest commentary in Dragon Age was great. Whenever you made a decision, one or two of your party members would comment on it. This NEEDS to happen ALL THE TIME in RPGs from now on. For small decisions too. There just needs to be more dialogue, and more things you can talk about with party members. Dragon Age really outdid Mass Effect 2 in this category.  As for combat, I generally approve of the combat in Mass Effect 2. You just have to mix things up and play an Adept or something. If you want to play Soldiers (as I often do because I have zero creativity) then use all the different weapons and experiment. "
    Wow! That's exactly what I felt too. After playing DA:O, I was confused as to why those things weren't in ME2. You really nailed some of the problems.
    Also, I play as a Vanguard, it's fun.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By armaan8014
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Like usual, you probally need a second playthrough to enjoy the game. Later on in the game near the end you will get all the emotions you are looking for. Right now focus on building your team.

"
    hehe.. You say that as if I'm actually building a team! That's good role playing :P
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @armaan8014: I bet when you finish the game, your going to feel a bit emotional. I won't spoil anything for you, still I know what you mean by mass effect felt better in terms of pacing. I agreed with you until my second playthrough. Your getting more quantity over quality this time around, however there is alot of stuff to explor and lot's of side quest unlike the first game. Maybe lower your expectations a bit or turn up the difficulty level. You'll eventually like it if your just starting out, hopefully.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By armaan8014
    @HitmanAgent47: 
    Yeah I'm pretty much halfway through the game, and have almost recruited everybody. It's just the loyalty missions that are left to be done now. (along with any other story specific missions)
    Let's see how it turns out.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @armaan8014: Did you feel any emotions at all when your helping other ppl with their problems in the game? Your suppose to.
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By dtat
    @armaan8014: 

I would say that the emotional impact of the game rests less on big epic moments like in the first game ( i mean when the Alliance shows up to save the Destiny Ascension, talk about leaping to your feet pumping your fist!) and more on personal character interactions and fleshing out the universe. I was affected by the backstory of the Genophage in a way I was not expecting. It really made me question everything I thought about the Krogan and Salarians. It's that kind of thing that ME2 does well. It's the middle chapter that blurs the lines between light and dark and sets up ME3 perfectly. This it sets out to do, and it does it amazingly. That's my take anyway. I will say that the ending does not disappoint, and if you lose someone, you'll feel it.

kaaaaaaahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By kaaaaaaahn

if it bores you dont play it, or try using a diffrent class 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy

Reading this, I can safely say that I think you and I played totally different games. After every single mission, I felt that epic feeling. I thought the combat was amazing (I played as an Infiltrator first, Adept second, Vanguard third) and can honestly say the combat never gets old for me. I love all the characters, their loyalty missions (except Jacob), and the story of the game really had me hooked. The ending was one of the most immersive experiences I've had in a game. 

For even more fun, play the game on Insanity. It's amazing.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mewarmo990

I can't say I ever got tired of ME2 (mining aside), at least not in my first playthrough, but I think one problem the game suffered from was the intense marketing hype campaign that EA conducted during the months leading up to the release. So much of the plot was spoiled for me during that time that by the time I picked up my long-awaited Collector's Edition a couple days after release, normally major plot revelations like Warlord Okeer and Legion were just not surprising at all for me. You didn't even have to be a hardcore fan of the game following every single detail for this to happen - the trailers and press releases had just too many spoilers in them.

I guess what kept me coming back over and over was the much more dynamic and challenging combat, and the depth of the characters. However, I think that the dramatic execution of the first game was done better, even though I think just as well of ME2's writing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.