Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect the movie

Cosbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cosbn

I've heard rumours about there being a Mass Effect film in the works. I'm personally fairly sceptical about it as I feel that the game is so great because it's very personal to who you are and the story is shaped around you. I'm not sure I'd enjoy watching Shepard gallivanting around the galaxy doing whatever he wants. His ass is mine. If I want him to punch an Asari news reporter in the face before she says a word then he'd better damn well do it. I'd always be expecting RT or LT to flash half way through an important scene in the film.

Needless to say I hope that if it does happen they do it justice. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

I want a Mass Effect choose your own adventure book.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm currently working on a big blog about this, but the whole reason Mass Effect is so important is because it's a video game with no canonical throughline. A movie completely cheapens the franchise.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

A movie based on a video game?  Most video game movies are either stupidly awesome (like Street Fighter), laughably bad (like Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li) or just plain shit (like Postal).  The only way I can see it being good if some big name director took it up like Jackson or Abrams or even Cameron, but even then, I'm sure it'll revolve around someone else rather than our Cmdr. Shep-dog.  And also, in 3D.  And space-boning.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well there hasn't been a single decent videogame movie since the beginning of time. They are all horrendous pieces of fucking shit. Besides ME is already one of the most cinematic games out there so there is absolutely NOTHING a movie could add to the franchise.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Pazy

If they do a movie I would hope they dont follow the Commander Shepard storyline but give us more information on other things like the Krogan Rebellions or the First Contact War. The First Contact War seems like a good thing since it would set up the world of Mass Effect for new people to follow on into Mass Effect 1, potentially provide some good action and if written correctly also some interesting ideas with the fear of the unknown and some of the human race (who in my mind at this point are basically one big cohesive unit who have basically set aside diffrences) suddenly returning to their old ways and how its creates a schism in the human society.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rowr

I think it could be cool. Recent films like district 9, star trek and avatar show us that new sci fi can be done well.

A new golden age of sci fi movies i say!

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august

The Bioshock movie deal fell through quite a while ago.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By guiseppe

I don't see the point of a Mass Effect movie, it's already very cinematic. If they were to make one, it would have to be about someone and something else within the same universe, but if they did that, the appeal would be gone.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@PeasForFees: Hehe ok guys, I'll be sure to consider your feelings the next time I write about ME. Oh no he didn't!

Anyway, yeah I see your point, M.E. is better
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Dustpan

I would like a Mass Effect movie. Say, I'm not in the mood to play the entire game over again. I just want to experience the story I can just veg out and just watch it.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @ArchScabby said:
    " I want a Mass Effect choose your own adventure book. "
    This, yes, a thousand times yes.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Semition

If they do, I hope they make it about Thane or Garrus. 

Or at least a character that will join you in ME3... Just don't make it about Shepard.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EvilTwin

I don't know, a Mass Effect movie wouldn't seem very special to me.  It's cool because it's a video game.  When it becomes a movie it's just generic space douchebag commander fighting insurmountable odds to save the galaxy.  I mean, depending on the quality it wouldn't necessarily be bad, but I don't think it could really add anything to the Mass Effect franchise, whereas it could certainly take a lot away from it.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ArchScabby said:
    ...Push mercenary through plate glass window:  Go to page 55
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jmrwacko
    @ArchScabby said:
    This.

Also, I want a Mass Effect movie starring Sam Worthington as Shepard, Morgan Freeman as Captain Anderson, and Michael Dorn as Wrex. It must happen!
    Inferno313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Inferno313
    @august said:

" The Bioshock movie deal fell through quite a while ago. "

No it didn't.. Gore Verbinski left, but now it's being directed by  Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, who directed 28 Weeks Later.

In a perfect world, the Mass Effect film would be a seperate story taking place within the Mass Effect universe. Not a direct adaptation of the game. 
     That said, I think an adaptation could work with the right crew involved. The main problem video game movies have failed thus far is due to crappy writers and directors, not because it's impossible to make a good video game movie. Get someone like Christopher Nolan, David Fincher, Paul Thomas Anderson, or Danny Boyle to do one. It'd be great.
    RadioactiveJam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RadioactiveJam

There are a few things that are canon in everyone's games.
    Garrus's time between M.E.1 and 2 running is own band of mercs.
     The first contact war on shanxi.
    and how about the rachni wars and krogan rebellions
    They all have potential and none of them involve shepard.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust

I really don't think it will happen for a number of reasons.  First, I don't think any studio is going to foot the necessary bill for a video game movie.  This genre still hasn't proven itself unlike the comic book genre.  Tomb Raider might be the most successful and that might have had as much to do with Angelina Jolie as it did with Lara Croft.  Secondly, Bioware is well aware that each player identifies particularly with their story and their Shepard.  It's not to the same level as Dragon Age: Origins, but they understand that a lot of players (like myself) have no connection to the "canon" Shepard.  They'll still authorize novels and comics, but doing a film right is another thing entirely because that then becomes ingrained as the source for all future Mass Effect projects.  In my mind, the game might as well become Uncharted at that point because my female paragon Shepard with vocal hostilities toward Cerberus would be off in her own reality, disconnected from whatever they're promoting.  

When I watched the trailers leading up to the game's release, I became excited by the prospect of taking my Shepard back into that universe.  I had no interest in the Shepard Bioware used to sell the game.   So, on the same token, I have no interest in seeing a Mass Effect movie starring their Shepard.  Now, I might enjoy seeing a filmed visualization of the Mass Effect world, so maybe the answer lies in a whole new story with new characters based in the same Bioware created setting.  But, then how many other people really want to see a Mass Effect story that lacks any of the principle characters from the games?  It's a conundrum, which is why I would just prefer there being no movie at all.

Now, having said that, if I was going to make the movie, it'd star an actress over 30 preferably a redhead like Rachel Nichols, but having only seen her in a couple of films I'm not sure how good an actress she is since she'd have to carry much of the movie.

Cosbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cosbn

Yeah now that I've had more time to mull it over I really don't want them to do it. It would probably be some bellend like Uwe Boll who would just shit out a script and completely ruin another video game franchise. Probably make the main character a Volus who's really constipated and spends the whole film trying to take off his suit but then it just ends with him crapping his pants just before Shepard can do it for him... wait... I'd watch that.

SeaSquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeaSquared

according to imdb.com this is set to release in 2012 and nothing else is known about it

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By zombie2011

The game is a movie. It really doesn't need to be made into a movie, besides i don't want anyone ruining the art style of ME. I love blue lens flares.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.