Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

should I buy the first one or just play this one?

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By clubsandwich

so, as the topic says, buy the first one or just jump into mass effect 2?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

Just play Mass Effect 2.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Skytylz

yah it has a short intro at the beginning that will tell you what you need to know.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Playing the first one will greatly increase your enjoyment of the series. I can say this because now as I play the second one, they refer back to the first game a lot and when they do, you will have fond memories of it. Especially when they talk about the characters. It really adds a lot to the game by playing the first. It's not like you'd be missing out either - the first is an AWESOME game.

reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By reign

The first one truly is a fantastic game. 

I would say that if you can hold off playing Mass Effect 2 for a week or two, (which would be damn tough) to play the first one.

Just my thoughts.

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HayFourZee

Id buy the first one so then you can import your save and its also a very story driven game so it would be good to know what happen in the last game.

Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Maclintok

Play the first game to Level 60.  Then read the first 2 novels.  After that, you'll be good to go for Mass Effect 2!

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

DUDES, MAKE A FUCKING POLE IF YOU ASK A SIMPLE ASS QUESTION!  

Just play the second one. 

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

If you never watched Star Wars, would you start off by watching Attack of the Clones & skip the first one?  Or if just the first Star Wars Trilogy, would it make sense to start with The Empire Strikes Back?

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Black_Raven

I'm in the same situation as you, I think I might just buy it, after all it'll be cheap and it is a good game.

RWL_MU_OSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RWL_MU_OSU
    @Maclintok said:
    " Play the first game to Level 60.  Then read the first 2 novels.  After that, you'll be good to go for Mass Effect 2! "
    This is what you should do (I rented the books from my public library).  Plus ME1 is cheap now, and by the time you've done all of this ME2 will be cheaper as well!
    kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kitaekatt

Just buy the new one, you can always go back later!

Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maclintok
    @RWL_MU_OSU: Well I was being partly facetious with the OP.  I do feel like I am enjoying ME2 more because of all the back story I've soaked up.  Of course the disadvantage to playing ME1 now while there's the new hotness around is that you can't relate to the excited discussions about ME2. 

ME1's been around since Nov. 2007.  In other words:  why are people deciding to play that game NOW of all times? tsk tsk
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy
    @Maclintok said:
    " Play the first game to Level 60.  Then read the first 2 novels.  After that, you'll be good to go for Mass Effect 2! "
    This is actually the correct answer :P
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the very least, read up about the story on Wikipedia.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By clubsandwich
    @Maclintok said:
    " @RWL_MU_OSU: Well I was being partly facetious with the OP.  I do feel like I am enjoying ME2 more because of all the back story I've soaked up.  Of course the disadvantage to playing ME1 now while there's the new hotness around is that you can't relate to the excited discussions about ME2.  ME1's been around since Nov. 2007.  In other words:  why are people deciding to play that game NOW of all times? tsk tsk "
    Well, I've never ever played a RPG, so yeah paying 65 bucks for a game that I don't know if I'll enjoy doesn't make sense to me, I'm cheap so what can I say? :P

also, I have very limited money when it comes to videogames because I usually use my money for football accesories or going out with friends, so I have to choose wisely when I'm going to buy a game, so sometimes I just wait for a pricedrop. :P
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Branthog

The first one is only $20 brand new and you can finish it in two days. It's epic and a fantastic story that really leads into the second one, nicely. Plus, you get some nice little bonuses in the second one for continuing your saved character/career.

Could  you just jump into ME2 without playing ME1? Absolutely. Should you? I would say you shouldn't. After all, what's the point? It's a single player game and it doesn't matter if you play it today or next month. Get them both. Sit down and have a week or two of non-stop awesome Mass Effect marathons.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy
    @Branthog said:
    " The first one is only $20 brand new and you can finish it in two days. It's epic and a fantastic story that really leads into the second one, nicely. Plus, you get some nice little bonuses in the second one for continuing your saved character/career.

Could  you just jump into ME2 without playing ME1? Absolutely. Should you? I would say you shouldn't. After all, what's the point? It's a single player game and it doesn't matter if you play it today or next month. Get them both. Sit down and have a week or two of non-stop awesome Mass Effect marathons. "
    When I first heard about those bonuses, I was like meh. 10000 each of Palladium, Platinum, Eezo and Iradium? Lame. But then I started playing the game... and they REALLY came in handy so far. I actually used up all my Iradium already and I'm desperately looking for more minerals!
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Branthog
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Branthog said:
    " The first one is only $20 brand new and you can finish it in two days. It's epic and a fantastic story that really leads into the second one, nicely. Plus, you get some nice little bonuses in the second one for continuing your saved character/career.

Could  you just jump into ME2 without playing ME1? Absolutely. Should you? I would say you shouldn't. After all, what's the point? It's a single player game and it doesn't matter if you play it today or next month. Get them both. Sit down and have a week or two of non-stop awesome Mass Effect marathons. "
    When I first heard about those bonuses, I was like meh. 10000 each of Palladium, Platinum, Eezo and Iradium? Lame. But then I started playing the game... and they REALLY came in handy so far. I actually used up all my Iradium already and I'm desperately looking for more minerals! "
    Agreed. I was boosted up a level, got 120,000 credits, some paragon/renegade points, and lots of resources. They're important for upgrading your armor and weapons and ship. Thanks almost entirely to the benefits of moving over a saved cahracter from ME1, I was able to upgrade Shephard nicely before he even got started on Omega.

And like I say, the story is great, so there's no reason to jump into the middle. No rush at all.
    Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Scullinator

I played a little of the first game and just got bored.  I thought it was a good game just not what I was looking for at the time i guess.  Does this game have a different feel in terms of the combat?  I have hard some call it Gears of War with RPG elements.  I would not say that about the first game.  So Is ME2 improved that much?  Got money burning a hole in my pocket and I want something to play.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
    @xyzygy said:
    " Playing the first one will greatly increase your enjoyment of the series. I can say this because now as I play the second one, they refer back to the first game a lot and when they do, you will have fond memories of it. Especially when they talk about the characters. It really adds a lot to the game by playing the first. It's not like you'd be missing out either - the first is an AWESOME game. "
    I second this sentiment. Go ahead and purchase the first one, get acquainted with the universe, get to know your crew, build your character, make those tough decisions, and then when you buy Mass Effect 2, take a week or so off from the games, and then go ahead and import your character and boot up the next installment of your characters ongoing adventures.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By project343

IGN blatantly notes in their review that if you have not played Mass Effect 1, you will be missing out on a lot. However, Mass Effect 1 is not the kind of game you'd want for your first RPG. Mass Effect 2 is far more competent as an accessible shooter-RPG blend.

It's your choice. Mass Effect 1 is a bit of a risk.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By napalm
    @project343 said:
    " Mass Effect 1 is a bit of a risk. "
    Not really. Mass Effect has always been about the story. There's not really a reason for him to play ME2 first. He'll be missing out on a lot of the foundation for the series, which can really hinder his enjoyment. Not playing Mass Effect is quite a risk, actually.
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Adamantium

If you're here for the gameplay, just jump into ME2. If you're here for BioWare's signature storytelling and morality-based dialogue trees, play ME first and carry your choices over.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By project343
    @Napalm: I'm saying, from a gameplay perspective, Mass Effect 1 is a risk. I know MANY people who love science fiction, and want so bad to get into Mass Effect, but can't. Some reasonings include: crappy shooting, too much dialogue (which is still consistent in Mass Effect 2), too much complexity in the RPG elements, to name a few. The risk is in purchasing the game, and not liking it.

Obviously I love both Mass Effect games. Obviously I recommend, from a story perspective, to play them in chronological order, and not missing out on the first one. But realistically, if this guy hasn't played an RPG before, Mass Effect 1 might be a bit tough to get into.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy
    @project343 said:
    " IGN blatantly notes in their review that if you have not played Mass Effect 1, you will be missing out on a lot. However, Mass Effect 1 is not the kind of game you'd want for your first RPG. Mass Effect 2 is far more competent as an accessible shooter-RPG blend.  It's your choice. Mass Effect 1 is a bit of a risk. "
    How is experiencing the excellent story, finding out about the foundations of each race and their politics, and getting to know characters that you will meet and reminisce with in ME2 a risk? Mass Effect 1 is also very cheap now too. Why the hell not play it, it's one of the greatest RPGs ever made. Some people disagree with that statement but as an overall consensus, it is true.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By napalm
    @project343 said:
    " @Napalm: I'm saying, from a gameplay perspective, Mass Effect 1 is a risk. I know MANY people who love science fiction, and want so bad to get into Mass Effect, but can't. Some reasonings include: crappy shooting, too much dialogue (which is still consistent in Mass Effect 2), too much complexity in the RPG elements, to name a few. The risk is in purchasing the game, and not liking it.  Obviously I love both Mass Effect games. Obviously I recommend, from a story perspective, to play them in chronological order, and not missing out on the first one. But realistically, if this guy hasn't played an RPG before, Mass Effect 1 might be a bit tough to get into. "
    I didn't have this problem, actually. Mass Effect was my first, "more RPG than shooter" game, and I gladly welcomed the changes and stuff that was new to me, such as the dialogue trees, specific leveling up, squad based combat, etc. Mass Effect 2's combat is falling into the category for me on the same plane as GTAIV, as in, they implement mechanics that other games are doing, (cover based shooting), but it's really not up to par with the quality of mechanic as seen in the other games. I felt myself getting frustrated with the slowness of the cover system in ME2, but probably coming off the heels of Army Of Two: The 40th Day didn't help. I don't think it's bad, per se, but it can certainly use some adjusting, and the story thus far completely makes up for it.

So yeah. Seriously, go with Mass Effect and get invested in the story. You'll get used to the combat, but the story is why you're really playing. And if it's not, then I have to question why you're playing it at all, haha.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By samcotts

Definitely get the first Mass Effect first. You may think now that you can just go back to the first once at some point after you've played Mass Effect 2, but it'll play like shite in comparison and probably be a horrible experience because of it. Play the first Mass Effect now while it'll still be good for you, because it's a fantastic game you shouldn't miss out on.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By Artie

I'd say dive into the first one before the second. Not so much because its better, or so good that you have to experience it, but really just to get a background.

Yes there's a recap at the beginning of ME2, but that's not what you need recapped. ME2 adds somewhere around five or six new races that weren't in the first game, and that's in addition to the seven or eight that were already present before. You need to get a feel for the world, races, species, groups, organizations, and etc. from the first game before going into the second. Also when you see people like Garrus, Tali, Liara, Ashley, or Wrex, it'll have a lot more weight to it.

ME1 is obviously a very flawed game. The combat aint so grand, and honestly its a game that doesn't hold up on multiple playthroughs since you get so sick of the linear predictable nature of the story telling, but your first time through should be fun.

And more importantly, its like playing Uncharted 2 before the first one. The 2nd one is so much better, you will never play the first if you play the 2nd first. So don't miss out on the opportunity.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scullinator

Just called Gamestop and the used copy is only $12.  Not bad for a used copy.  Im still considering it though.  

I really dont remember what I didnt like about the first one.  Just remember I played it for a few hours and never went back to it.  I remember having to fly to different planets and drive around and got bored real quick doing that.  

I think im getting this game confused with the last Knights of the Old Republic game I played.

kidko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kidko

If you have a good PC to game on, I would pick it up for that. On 360, the frame rate is choppy as hell and really sucks the fun out of it. Granted, I have the 360 version and have only heard that it is better on a good PC. Also, I loved it the first time around and ignored the technical problems but after coming back to it last week in preparation for ME2, I found it really painful. @Adamantium said:

" If you're here for the gameplay, just jump into ME2. If you're here for BioWare's signature storytelling and morality-based dialogue trees, play ME first and carry your choices over. "
    This.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.