Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Where do I find the Geth Assault Rifle?/ any other hidden weapons

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Garrus

I heard that you can get a Geth assault rifle somewhere? Im bored sick of using the Vindicator and in general bored of the small weapon count in this game.

By hidden weapons, Im wondering about the ones that only show up on certain difficulties. I guess this could be the hidden weapons thread if there's more than one hidden weapon.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Geth Assault Rifle is located near the end of Tali's Recruitment mission. The only way to get it, however, is to start and play through the mission on Hardcore difficulty or greater. 

There is also the Revenant Light Machine Gun, an upgrade only available to soldiers--you acquire it on the deactivated Collector Vessel where you would normally, with any other class, pick up another weapon specialty.

I'm pretty sure there's a Geth Sniper Rifle available at some point. Not sure if that's a secret weapon or if that's just a Legion-specific upgrade.

LeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By LeadNinja

Infiltrators get a bad-ass sniper rifle on that Collector vessel, too.  I think It's the same type of rifle Legion gets.  Don't know if it's Geth though - it says in the description that it's not designed to be compatible with a human's shoulder.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By emkeighcameron

Revenant Machine Gun (from "disabled" collector ship) > anything else in the entire game

Well except maybe the Cain.....because it looks some god-damn COOL when it goes off:

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Garrus
    @LeadNinja: Yeah I managed to get through to the collector vessel to pick that up as an infiltrator, it is awesome certainly, I just felt I needed a sniper with kick a few times and that was the solution lol.

@Sir_Ragnarok: Thanks, and yeah the stuff on the Collector ship, I always went for the sniper, never had a class get there that could use the Assault rifles or shotguns until the current playthrough Im on now. And thanks for the locations, and yeah the Sniper for Legion is a legion upgrade like the shotgun for Grunt, shame only a few characters actually get specific upgrades for them, I'd have loved to see Garrus and Thane and Miranda all with something like a specific AR for them or a unique heavy pistol for Miranda.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Novyx
    @Sir_Ragnarok:

Geth sniper is just Legion's anti-materiel rifle. For Shepard, you have to pick it on the collector ship if you're soldier or infiltrator.

EDIT: Guess Garrus beat me to that bit.

@Garrus:

Geth rifle is the best assault rifle, but it has a fluctuating fire rate, which is weird. The revanent machine gun is by far the best gun in the class, but if you skipped it on the ship, you'll never get it. low accuracy, but high damage and 80 round sinks, plus it gets tons of ammo off every pickup. Otherwise, no. No secrets. Just promised downloads. There are 2 weapons in each class by default, plus the Geth assault rifle, the three special weapons, and now the cerberus shotgun. Oh, and the collector rifle for CE, and the incisor for digital deluxe purchasers.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Garrus
    @Novyx: Ahh cool, so it is worth picking up, Im looking mainly for strong weapons because Im on an insanity playthrough right now and need something that's actually efficient for its ammo count in terms of assault rifles and stuff.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Darkstar614

On the disabled collector ship choice of:

extra weapon type slot  

or

Claymore shotgun for Vanguard & Soldier
    Widow Sniper rifle for Infiltrator & Soldier
    Revanant Assault rifle for Soldier only

Other weapons: 
    Flame Thrower heavy weapon - Zaeed loyalty mission DLC
    Geth Assault rifle - Tali recruitment on Hardcore and Insanity only (read above posts for specifics)
    Collector Assault rifle - Collector's edition bonus
    Incisor Sniper rifle - Digital Deluxe Edition bonus (Steam or similar digital distribution)
    Eviscerator Shotgun - DLC via Cerberus network ?? (haven't checked for this since I finished the game)

Shiro_Shishi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shiro_Shishi

You can also pick up Grunt's super shotgun up if you have it and then you get to the collector part where you can choose another gun.

That thing is powerful.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Garrus
    @Shiro_Shishi: Yeah you can equip Grunt's shotty, I never actually tried it yet but will do soon!
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Capum15

God, I love the Widow Sniper Rifle. That thing fires with feeling.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:

" Geth Assault Rifle is located near the end of Tali's Recruitment mission. The only way to get it, however, is to start and play through the mission on Hardcore difficulty or greater.   "

Ohhh. That's why I never got it on normal mode.

It's a pretty sick assault rifle. Nothing compared to the Revenent though.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Oh My God, I need to play this again don't I...!!!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm
    @Garrus said:
    " @Shiro_Shishi: Yeah you can equip Grunt's shotty, I never actually tried it yet but will do soon! "
    Whoah. Wait. What?
    MercenaryXero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MercenaryXero

If you already played the game once and got the revenant, Can you get another weapon on the collector ship? Or does it replace the one you have, or is there nothing there?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy

If you go into the collector ship as an Infiltrator, you have the option to get the same Sniper that Legion uses. It's called the Widow, and it's probably the best gun in the game. It's slow but so, so strong.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Garrus
    @Napalm: Yeah you can actually get an upgrade to be able to equip his custom Krogan shotgun and you have to be a soldier I think or a class that can use shotguns.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @MercenaryXero said:
    " If you already played the game once and got the revenant, Can you get another weapon on the collector ship? Or does it replace the one you have, or is there nothing there? "
    I'm wondering this as well.
    kheldorin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kheldorin
    @UnsolvedParadox:  
    No, you can't. It especially sucks for me since I took the shotgun.  I already had the collector assault and sniper rifle and thought that I would need a new shotgun. That shotgun sux.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By ez123
    @Garrus: Really? It seems like that shotgun is for Grunt, even the description talks about only Krogan being able to use it.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
    @ez123 said:
    " @Garrus: Really? It seems like that shotgun is for Grunt, even the description talks about only Krogan being able to use it. "
    Yeah, well, the Eviscerator shotgun was supposed to be good as well. Shotguns just aren't that great in this game. They fire way too slow, have terrible accuracy, and only hold like ten shells.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Garrus
    @ez123: A friend tells me I need an upgrade to be able to use it, but it is the Claymore Heavy shotgun chosen by the player from the weapon pile in the collector ship. Why you need an upgrade Im not sure, but I think he meant that Grunt needed an upgrade to have it researched, not so Shep could use it. 

Its been said that the shotgun is used by asari at some point in the game and by another NPC, the same shotguns, just Grunt requires an upgrade to be able to obtain it for some reason.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By ez123
    @Napalm: Yeah, shotguns suck but they made that one sound so bad ass. 

Maybe I'm using them wrong, people are saying that the Revenant is a good weapon, I like the Vindicator much more even if the Revenant is an "upgrade". 
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Garrus
    @ez123: I actually prefer the Vindicator too, I just can't bare the inaccuracy of the other assault rifles and the damage they do feels very underwhelming unless you've rammed the barrel into the guy's face then started firing. Vindicator is nice because it gives a good accuracy over distance too for those enemies who duck every few milliseconds...
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm

I honestly like the shotguns from Mass Effect a lot more. It's not that they are superior, but I had my shotgun equipped with a long barrel that made the accuracy go like thirty feet, plus incendiary rounds.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Garrus
    @Napalm: I think the whole thermal clip thing has ruined the shotguns in Mass Effect 2. Just sounds kinda silly when you have a class that's main weapon is a shotgun and your best shotgun probably, has like 12 shots or something when you're facing 30 mechs.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By AndrewB
    @Garrus said:

" @Napalm: I think the whole thermal clip thing has ruined the shotguns in Mass Effect 2. Just sounds kinda silly when you have a class that's main weapon is a shotgun and your best shotgun probably, has like 12 shots or something when you're facing 30 mechs. "

Definitely. I spent most of my game as a Vanguard using an SMG or pistol. Not exactly the best use of the class. It was a little irritating.

Also, that shotgun is fantastic at dealing damage, but only carries I think 20 rounds, and fires one at a time. So you fire one off and have to reload.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm
    @Garrus: I agree entirely. The beauty of Mass Effect was never having to worry about ammo, but the punishment for your gun overheating was a much larger down time than something like reloading. I'm pretty sure I would take that over bullshit "thermal clips". Shotguns have always been my favorite guns in games, but when they get uber-gimped like they did here, it's frustrating. I honestly think the problem can just be rectified by, "hey, guess what? The shotgun now can hold 40 shells."

PS. Talking to you makes me feel like I'm actually talking to Garrus! "Hey, you got shot, but survived the suicide mission!"
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Garrus
    @AndrewB: Yeah even when I played as Soldier class, I tried to use what was effective for the situation, a shotgun, with disruptor ammo, when 30 mechs came after me and I just couldn't afford to keep running out there infront of 4 more of them already shooting at me, just to pick up some ammo for the shotgun. Just out of preference for me, I felt clunky trying to use anything else but the pistol in that close a range.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By AndrewB
    @Garrus:  My strategy was always to have two teammates with long-range weapons + biotics to lay down supressing fire while I charged up to a good close spot of cover, then shotgun blast anyone who would dare climb out of cover or come close. Works really great. I was always like "oh no you don't!" and then blam. Doesn't work so well on insanity though, where your teammates seem to spend most of their time dead (at least, that's been my experience in the short time I've played on that difficulty).
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Garrus
    @Napalm: Yeah I reckon thats all they gotta do really, give us a better selection of shotguns and yeah the overheating caused just as tactical gameplay as it is in ME2, in the last game because there was enemies everywhere in some rooms, you had to shoot down allot of people, real quick. And your gun overheating was the risk but the thing that mattered was the guy was no longer a problem. In Mass Effect 2 its just, yeah he's no longer your problem, your lack of ammo to continue IS.

And yeah hah, I bagged the username and just found it funny coming here, its like you can imagine Shepard and Garrus and Wrex playing Mass Effect games on the Normandy or something and commenting how bad Bioware made Mass Effect 2 lol.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Garrus
    @AndrewB: Yep, Insanity does seem to turn the tables round a little, because being so close isn't so fun but then you question why they make it feel so uneven for certain classes on Insanity. Maybe they made it that way to make people think about the class they were going to use.
    And yeah I tried using the shotgun a little on insanity on one of my saves and god, you just can't fire it because the enemy's accuracy against you is so great at the effective range of the shotgun.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By napalm
    @Garrus: I certainly don't expect them to make any severe changes to the guns or anything in Mass Effect 2. The way it is, is the way it is and that's how they built it. I don't expect them to go back and retool and rework a mechanic and dump resources into it. It's counter productive, really. I just hope they make some changes in Mass Effect 3 with it.

And yeah, I can picture you and Shepard being like, "what the fuck! We were just at Omega! That music wasn't playing! What the hell! Jeez, my shotgun sucks!"
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Garrus
    @Napalm: Yeah I think they're gonna listen to what the feedback is from people, Bioware have sorta granted the wishes of many in M.E2. I'd have thought maybe they could up the ammo count for the shotguns but then again, enemies do drop ammo all over the place, its just a case of whether you have enough to drop them before you run out.

Hah yeah, I always sorta thought of the guys as being like celebrities playing their own game based on them going, "What the hell, that didn't happen and those guys barely touched me on that mission" lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.