Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

I decided to replay Mass Effect 1 after beating 3

• 66 results
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cataphract1014

And I wasn't even off Eden Prime before I remembered how terrible the inventory was in that game.

People wanted that crap back in 2 and 3? God, they must be sadists. I loved ME1 when it came out, but jeez that is a horrible system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The inventory and the combat system are soooo much worse. I love Mass Effect 1 but man is that stuff hard to go back to.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Wemibelle

I never thought the system was really all that bad; it was the insane amount of crap that game gave you every five minutes. You would literally be carrying over a hundred items after each mission and wanted maybe two of them. Luckily, Bioware learned that there is such a thing as too much inventory.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

@Cataphract1014:

I went through ME 1 and 2 again before 3 and I don't know if it was worse (inventory, combat, etc). But it sure as hell was different. To me, I look at ME 1 as being a completely different game from ME 2 and 3. Not better or worse, just different.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By easthill

They don't wanted it back as it was, people just wanted an inventory. But you're right, the inventory was/is awful.

admiralstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By admiralstupid  Online

Liked the combat, generally liked the Mako/planet exploration stuff, DETESTED the inventory (though the solution of 'let's get rid of it entirely' wasn't all that great a solution).

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

That's not the only thing that makes it terribly difficult to go back to the first game, but yeah, it's probably the worst aspect.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cataphract1014

@AdmiralStupid said:

Liked the combat, generally liked the Mako/planet exploration stuff, DETESTED the inventory (though the solution of 'let's get rid of it entirely' wasn't all that great a solution).

I feel ME3 is the perfect middle ground.

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bubbly

It always amazes me that Bioware, a seasoned RPG developer, did such a terrible job with inventory in that game. And of course instead of trying to fix it, they just removed it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

I never had any issues with the inventory, or the Mako, or the combat system.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By demonbear

@ajamafalous said:

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam

I wanted the inventory and looting improved, not just back. Same as with the Mako. Without those things ME 2 felt way more monotous to me.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By FreakAche

The inventory system would have been fine, it's just the menus were difficult to navigate (at least on the Xbox version, not sure about PC). I hated how every time you wanted to convert something to omni-gel, you would have to scroll through your entire list of stuff. Instead of removing the inventory in 2 and 3, they should have just given better options for sorting and navigating through your items.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I really liked the customization of the first game.

Even if the menus were pretty bad, it actually blended shooting and RPG mechanics together really well. It was sad to see ME2 completely abandon the idea.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Tylea002

Yep, the inventory and armour system was great in theory and even in the game itself, just those menus. Dear god those menus.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheCreamFilling

@ajamafalous said:

Yes, I don't understand how people had problems with the inventory, just turn what you don't want into onmi-gel. The Mako could get a little awkward on rough terrain, but I really liked exploring the planets. And the combat was great with all the different weapons and mods and unlimited ammo, I legitimately had fun playing through on insane difficulty.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stryker1121

The combat was definitely the worst part of ME1 for me..clunky w/ a half-assed cover system. The inventory didn't bug me, thought, and I enjoyed the Mako. Those aspects needed refinement, not complete evisceration going into ME2.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By donkeycow

I dont really understand all the hate for the inventory system in Mass Effect 1. It seems pretty standard to me for inventory systems of the era.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By endaround

How is having an invisible inventory a middle ground? And that leads to the horrendous upgrade menu that doesn't even break the guns down by type.

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lagaroth

@ajamafalous said:

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @demonbear said:

@ajamafalous said:

yep, this
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

@Lagaroth said:

@ajamafalous said:

I didn't mind the combat or the inventory, but the Mako sections were extremely tedious. Plus the checkpointing was nasty. There were quite a few times where I'd forget to save, then have a Thresher Maw kind of... assimilate with the mako as it sprouts out of the ground underneath me, killing me instantly, which forced me to start all over again collecting those damn resources. The combat in the mako was complete balls as well; mostly just a lot of you standing there shooting, or forced to hang back for like 15 minutes waiting for your shields to charge. There were lot of times where I couldn't even aim at the thing I was trying to shoot without having to move just a little bit lower down the terrain because of the highly limited area you were allowed to move the reticule.

I know a lot of people as of late like to champion the original ME out of its ass because of the very different direction the series took with ME2, and I even think that overall ME could very well be my favourite of the lot too, but that game has some issues, and I always find it silly when so many people like to profess ME to be some sort of flawless deity.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Abyssfull said:

@Lagaroth said:

@ajamafalous said:

I didn't mind the combat or the inventory, but the Mako sections were extremely tedious. Plus the checkpointing was nasty. There were quite a few times where I'd forget to save, then have a Thresher Maw kind of... assimilate with the mako as it sprouts out of the ground underneath me, killing me instantly, which forced me to start all over again collecting those damn resources. The combat in the mako was complete balls as well; mostly just a lot of you standing there shooting, or forced to hang back for like 15 minutes waiting for your shields to charge. There were lot of times where I couldn't even aim at the thing I was trying to shoot without having to move just a little bit lower down the terrain because of the highly limited area you were allowed to move the reticule.

I know a lot of people as of late like to champion the original ME out of its ass because of the very different direction the series took with ME2, and I even think that overall ME could very well be my favourite of the lot too, but that game has some issues, and I always find it silly when so many people like to profess ME to be some sort of flawless deity.

I played on the PC, so I had quicksaves, 60 frames, a mouse for inventory, and quicker turning/better aiming. None of the issues people bring up really applied. 

I'll give you the shitty inability to aim lower than horizontal of the Mako, though. I can't think of any situations where I was maligned because of it though, it was just slightly annoying until I found a positioning where I could shoot whatever I needed to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 137

after I took my sniping to 11 on ME1 I loved the shit out of that game, everyone got head shotted. soldier for life lol

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By RedRoach

I really don't understand why people say "you wanted that back? it was horrible!" Yeah, the system wasn't very good. But you know what most sequels do when something in the original isn't all that great? They improve it. Why does everyone think the only 2 options are remove it or keep it the exact same as ME1?

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By boboblaw

Just tried to go back to ME1 as I wanted to play through all 3 of them again.

Holy shit it has aged poorly.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demonbear said:

@ajamafalous said:

This. 
     I can handle a little complexity in video games. 
    TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Donkeycow: Neither do I. It wasn't an awful inventory system. The only problem I had with it was the fact I always, ALWAYS, had over 150 items on me at all times no matter how many guns, armour or mods I got rid of. That said I did have like a trillion credits.

But hey, remember the days when you could just slap omnigel on everything?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Justin258

@wemibelec90 said:

I never thought the system was really all that bad; it was the insane amount of crap that game gave you every five minutes. You would literally be carrying over a hundred items after each mission and wanted maybe two of them. Luckily, Bioware learned that there is such a thing as too much inventory.

I didn't think the inventory system in ME1 was all that bad either. It certainly had lots of room for improvement and I'd hardly call it exemplary, but I managed to use it just fine.

Meanwhile, Mass Effect 2 didn't have much of an inventory at all. You had some guns and a bit of armor which you could fiddle with at your spaceship and not in a pause menu, but that was all. For that matter, 2 didn't even have much in the way of skills to level up. 3 was better in this aspect, at least.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By retrovirus

I thought it wasn't too bad, but they really would have benefited from a Reckoing-style junk flag that you could use to either sell stuff of turn it into omni-gel.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By GreggD

@RetroVirus said:

I thought it wasn't too bad, but they really would have benefited from a Reckoing-style junk flag that you could use to either sell stuff of turn it into omni-gel.

Or say Dragon Age? DA:O had the exact same thing, yet every time it gets brought up, people mention other, newer games. Makes me think no RPG players even played the game.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JackG100

I always considered ME1 having the better story but worse gameplay than ME2. I still like ME1 more though. ME2 feels very fragmented with all its mission-reports and loadscreens. 
    ME1 needed more thought out planets and not random mountains that you had to climb with the Mako, driving it around was actually pretty fun on the planets that had some design to them. The inventorysystem wasnt bad but having 1-12 of every single item and too much of it forcing you to spend hours to sell and confirm was just not very entertaining but quite timeconsuming.  

ME3 was superior to both, but then it got worse than both at the end.

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bubbly
    @Vegetable_Side_Dish: The inventory system wasn't complex, it was just badly designed. Who thought it was an amazing idea to not group duplicate/similar items so they could be easily tracked and removed? Instead you had to scroll through a long ass list and individually remove each unwanted component. Along with that they dealt new stuff at such a quick rate that it became a chore to do that with the shitty inventory. That is my main problem with it, the inventory management is just downright terrible. I played on the 360 when the game was released so I'm sure it was better on PC, but it was unpleasant on the 360.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By napalm

Just turn everything into omni-gel. It's easy to just open all of the containers and crates and just collect everything, but it's much easier to just melt it all down and put it towards Mako repairs and unlocking doors and safes.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Sooty

The PC version of this game plays soooooo much better, I don't think they should have been allowed to release the first game on 360, the framerate was horrible. I had the game turn into a slideshow at a few points.

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bubbly
    @Napalm: Yup that was what it turned into for me. I would only equip overheating mods and the best armor I had, and everything else became omni-gel.
    Greatgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Greatgrey

@ajamafalous said:

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 9cupsoftea

The inventory is bad but it's such a small part of the first game. The combat was poor to start off with but only because you had to level up before you could really be good at it - it's a true rpg in that respect. I prefer that to ME2 and 3, in which you essentially own everything from beginning to end in the same way with very little sense of progression. The combat scenarios in 1 I also think were a lot more varied (not just corridors or open plains with chest-high walls).

But all that is kind of moot, ME1 had the best writing, built up pretty much the entire universe (and pretty much all the good characters), had the best sense of exploration, a superb ending, and great story arc, in my opinion. Stick with it past the slow start, it takes a lot more investment than the sequels, but you'll get a lot more out of it.

Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MODernChris said:
    @Vegetable_Side_Dish: The inventory system wasn't complex, it was just badly designed. Who thought it was an amazing idea to not group duplicate/similar items so they could be easily tracked and removed? Instead you had to scroll through a long ass list and individually remove each unwanted component. Along with that they dealt new stuff at such a quick rate that it became a chore to do that with the shitty inventory. That is my main problem with it, the inventory management is just downright terrible. I played on the 360 when the game was released so I'm sure it was better on PC, but it was unpleasant on the 360.
    Yeh, it took about 10 seconds every 30 minutes or so. I can deal. 
    Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bubbly
    @Vegetable_Side_Dish: Every 30 minutes during combat areas is a lie, but thats not the point I was making. The inventory system was bad, not complex. And with that statement you are kinda contradicting your first statement of the game being complex, which it wasn't.
    retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By retrovirus

@GreggD said:

@RetroVirus said:

Or say Dragon Age? DA:O had the exact same thing, yet every time it gets brought up, people mention other, newer games. Makes me think no RPG players even played the game.

I've never played Dragon Age, but it's on my to do list, right after I finish Darksiders. Thanks for the tip!

Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MODernChris said:
    @Vegetable_Side_Dish: Every 30 minutes during combat areas is a lie, but thats not the point I was making. The inventory system was bad, not complex. And with that statement you are kinda contradicting your first statement of the game being complex, which it wasn't.
    Complex doesn't mean more time spent in the inventory. It's complex compared to the other 2 in that you actually have shit to manage and a number of different tiers of items and armour and upgrades. 
     Nothing to get your panties in a twist about in a video game, unless you just want to breeze through them without thinking. In which case, tone down the difficulty and don't even bother managing your inventory. Or play another game.  
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By GreggD

@RetroVirus said:

@GreggD said:

@RetroVirus said:

I've never played Dragon Age, but it's on my to do list, right after I finish Darksiders. Thanks for the tip!

Don't mention it.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45  Edited By Dookysharpgun

@wemibelec90: Then they kinda shot themselves in the foot by removing the inventory entirely, forcing us to run around the citadel hoping we had the item for the person we were spending fifteen minutes at a time searching for. Kinda went from one extreme to the other in that sense.

OP: I don't really mind it, then again, I'm hard-wired to love loot...though the way selling upgrades was handled was god-awful...the combat can handle like gravel-coated shit, but I did love equipping explosive rounds to my SPECTRE grade pistol, then blowing everything in front of me away. Add two upgrades that reduce overheating, and you're pretty much made...Bioware have a problem when it comes to complaints. Like in 1, we wanted the Mako fixed, which would have been easy, driving on L-stick, aiming for gun only on R-stick. Same with the boss fight of 2. We wanted it to be better. Then we got the Shadow Broker DLC, which had two excellent boss fights and a whole pile of cool shit...and then they completely forgot about it in ME3. They take criticism the way toddlers take slight issues with someone saying their football is a little flat...they take it away so nobody can play with it.

They don't seem to understand refinement outside of the combat. It's weird too, because we've seen instances where the more refined ideas have been well-recieved, but then they're pushed to the side or outright ignored. I'll never understand that.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By napalm

@ajamafalous said:

I never had any issues with the inventory,

The only real issue with it is the sell/buy screen was poorly managed and handled. If there were selectable subcategories that showed them from strongest to weakest, and showed more items, it might not be so bad. On consoles at least, it only showed you like, four items at a time, so unless you planned on selling everything (and I don't think they exempted equipped mods), it was difficult to manage. Also yeah, I don't fully understand the combat complaints either. I usually played on lower difficulties and using cover was never needed, really.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Phatmac

People wanted them back, because they were neat in theory. A sequel to a game is usually supposed to improve on the first game, so I hoped for a more improved inventory system rather than it being removed as a whole.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By joshthebear
    @9cupsoftea

The inventory is bad but it's such a small part of the first game. The combat was poor to start off with but only because you had to level up before you could really be good at it - it's a true rpg in that respect. I prefer that to ME2 and 3, in which you essentially own everything from beginning to end in the same way with very little sense of progression. The combat scenarios in 1 I also think were a lot more varied (not just corridors or open plains with chest-high walls).

But all that is kind of moot, ME1 had the best writing, built up pretty much the entire universe (and pretty much all the good characters), had the best sense of exploration, a superb ending, and great story arc, in my opinion. Stick with it past the slow start, it takes a lot more investment than the sequels, but you'll get a lot more out of it.

Agreed with everything said here. I still find ME1 to be the best of the series and much more an RPG. For 2 & 3 I feel they sacrificed way too much to please the shooter crowd, while doing nothing for the fans of their older RPGs.
    RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RedRavN

i really never had a problem with any of this stuff in ME1. In fact, I like looting and think the actual story and vibe of ME1 is superior to the other games. However, I played on PC, where the inventory seems a bit easier to navigate. I think that at least for ME1, it seems like they ported from the pc style interface without actually making a seperate console UI.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I replayed the series before jumping into 3. The original has its antiquated processes, to be sure, but I still really enjoy it a ton. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.