Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

I played Mass Effect 3 and lived to tell the tale

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By cabelhigh

Comic Con happened. Well, it's still happening, but after seeing the triple-whammy of Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and Andy Serkis (some of my biggest heroes) I'm not sure anything could top that. So after I went through post seeing-famous-people-in-the-flesh depression, I wandered over to the Bioware booth in the Hilton Gaslamp and decided that, yea, Mass Effect 3 was worth waiting for. Plus, we all got sweet blow-up Omniblades! Hoorah for stabbing dudes in the face! 

Anyway, once I got past the lawn entrance we were ushered up to the main Bioware area, with a stage for events and a long, long, LONG line for ME3. Lucky for me, however, I arrived just in time for Casey Hudson, who's ME's creative director and all around cool dude, to give an onstage demo of the...demo and answer a few question. I got to ask him what his definition of an RPG was (on live TV, no less!) which elicited a pretty interesting answer. The rest of those Q&As are up on Bioware's website under Bioware TV, so check that out if you want some of your non-spoilerly questions answered. 

Anyway, after another 2 hours (no joke) I finally got ushered in to the ME3 area (after some Bioware guys were trying desperately to get people to play their Dragon Age 2 dlc demo, to, of course, no avail) and was led through 2 short briefing videos to catch us all up to speed. Interestingly enough, EDI, who presented them, did so in a dossier format a la ME2, which leads me to believe that the fractured dossier style of ME2 is making a return to ME3. Now, to the demo! 

One thing that struck me immediately was the new music. The composer on ME1 and 2 got replaced by Clint Mansell, who has did the famous Requiem for a Dream soundtrack, and it shows. The music is more epic, sweeping, and at the same time emotional, though it'll still have a hard time beating the Suicide Mission music from the second game. Beyond that, the demo encourages you to spec out your squad, returning to ME1 style upgrade screen and a few branching paths. It definitely seemed to remedy the problems in ME2, but I didn't have much time to mess around with it as I wanted to get along and start shooting. 

Initially when I first saw ME3 demoed, I was skeptical on the new emphasis on making the shooting great, while not really mentioning the story (my favorite part of the games). Well, let me tell you: the shooting in ME3 is leaps and bounds better than ME2, with incredibly satisfying implementation of rumble and a great new sound design. Bioware was working with DICE on the sounds of the guns, and damn it shows. Firing the default assault rifle had a real edge to it now (although I found the submachine gun to be a little whinny). Cover is now more easily gotten around, as handy-dandy holographic arrows now allow you to roll around from cover to cover.  And the new melee stuff looks AWESOME. I played as an adept, and my powered up punch move was a giant telekinetic-infused fist that disintegrated guys left and right (each class has its of special melee animation). 

The one detriment found was the much-talked-about gun customization. Now, there wasn't much to customize in the demo, but what was there had such a small impact on the gun I was firing that I wondered why it was even there as an option in the first place. Granted, it did remind me of ME1, but the worser aspects of that game, not the better. 

All in all, I came out of there happy and relieved that ME3 still looks, plays, and feels like the Mass Effect we all know and love. The delay looks also to hammer out some rough spots (the frame rate wasn't so hot), and the shooting is definitely better than the series has ever been; now it's just got to deliver in the story area.

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cabelhigh

Comic Con happened. Well, it's still happening, but after seeing the triple-whammy of Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and Andy Serkis (some of my biggest heroes) I'm not sure anything could top that. So after I went through post seeing-famous-people-in-the-flesh depression, I wandered over to the Bioware booth in the Hilton Gaslamp and decided that, yea, Mass Effect 3 was worth waiting for. Plus, we all got sweet blow-up Omniblades! Hoorah for stabbing dudes in the face! 

Anyway, once I got past the lawn entrance we were ushered up to the main Bioware area, with a stage for events and a long, long, LONG line for ME3. Lucky for me, however, I arrived just in time for Casey Hudson, who's ME's creative director and all around cool dude, to give an onstage demo of the...demo and answer a few question. I got to ask him what his definition of an RPG was (on live TV, no less!) which elicited a pretty interesting answer. The rest of those Q&As are up on Bioware's website under Bioware TV, so check that out if you want some of your non-spoilerly questions answered. 

Anyway, after another 2 hours (no joke) I finally got ushered in to the ME3 area (after some Bioware guys were trying desperately to get people to play their Dragon Age 2 dlc demo, to, of course, no avail) and was led through 2 short briefing videos to catch us all up to speed. Interestingly enough, EDI, who presented them, did so in a dossier format a la ME2, which leads me to believe that the fractured dossier style of ME2 is making a return to ME3. Now, to the demo! 

One thing that struck me immediately was the new music. The composer on ME1 and 2 got replaced by Clint Mansell, who has did the famous Requiem for a Dream soundtrack, and it shows. The music is more epic, sweeping, and at the same time emotional, though it'll still have a hard time beating the Suicide Mission music from the second game. Beyond that, the demo encourages you to spec out your squad, returning to ME1 style upgrade screen and a few branching paths. It definitely seemed to remedy the problems in ME2, but I didn't have much time to mess around with it as I wanted to get along and start shooting. 

Initially when I first saw ME3 demoed, I was skeptical on the new emphasis on making the shooting great, while not really mentioning the story (my favorite part of the games). Well, let me tell you: the shooting in ME3 is leaps and bounds better than ME2, with incredibly satisfying implementation of rumble and a great new sound design. Bioware was working with DICE on the sounds of the guns, and damn it shows. Firing the default assault rifle had a real edge to it now (although I found the submachine gun to be a little whinny). Cover is now more easily gotten around, as handy-dandy holographic arrows now allow you to roll around from cover to cover.  And the new melee stuff looks AWESOME. I played as an adept, and my powered up punch move was a giant telekinetic-infused fist that disintegrated guys left and right (each class has its of special melee animation). 

The one detriment found was the much-talked-about gun customization. Now, there wasn't much to customize in the demo, but what was there had such a small impact on the gun I was firing that I wondered why it was even there as an option in the first place. Granted, it did remind me of ME1, but the worser aspects of that game, not the better. 

All in all, I came out of there happy and relieved that ME3 still looks, plays, and feels like the Mass Effect we all know and love. The delay looks also to hammer out some rough spots (the frame rate wasn't so hot), and the shooting is definitely better than the series has ever been; now it's just got to deliver in the story area.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By napalm

You heard actual Mass Effect 3 music? I'm so goddamn jealous. This is the thing I am most interested in.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

OH man I'm jelly! I can't wait!

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Heltom92

Glad to see you liked it, ME is probably my favourite series of the gen and I have every faith in Bioware to finish the story in style.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

Glad to hear that you like it. I would have loved to hear some of that music.

Avatar image for radioactivegazz
    RadioactiveGazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RadioactiveGazz

Sounds awesome. Might get to see it when the eurogamer expo comes around this september. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Vinny_Says

The omniblade will be useless on insanity I guarantee it.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShaneDev
    Thank God they improved the shooting because ME2 was the very definition of average third person shooting and the cover system was shit and flat out broken. It was infuriating on insanity. The DICE guys working on the sounds should be great they turn out some of the best sound effects in the industry. What exactly does the customisation of weapons do?
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By time allen

props for waiting out the queue. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn

I can't read your post for fear of finding out something about the game, but im jealous

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Can you cut off your ears and send them to me in a box. Maybe I can use science to extract the vibrations out of them.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jasta

Sounds great, now just 9 months to go, right?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm
    @Jasta said:

Sounds great, now just 9 months to go, right?

Man, don't remind me.
    cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cabelhigh
    @Irvandus said:
    Can you cut off your ears and send them to me in a box. Maybe I can use science to extract the vibrations out of them.
     :o 

@ShaneDev
    said:
    Thank God they improved the shooting because ME2 was the very definition of average third person shooting and the cover system was shit and flat out broken. It was infuriating on insanity. The DICE guys working on the sounds should be great they turn out some of the best sound effects in the industry. What exactly does the customisation of weapons do?
    Ok, I must confess I never played ME2 on insanity, so I can't judge on how it'll fare there. Everything felt so much more polished, but I mean it's no Gears of War. The customization is I think where the weapon effects (incineration, warp, armor-piercing, ect.) from ME2 are going to be now, instead of them being a power. I may be wrong about this but that's what I gathered. Other than that they, I don't know, give your weapons more damage or more ammo at the cost of something else, like magazine size. It seemed pretty ineffectual.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By WickedCestus

If they bring back the Mako then I'm in. 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane

@supermike6 said:

As long as they improve the driving mechanics.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @supermike6 said:
    God I hope not.  That stupid thing is the worst part about ME1.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaneDev
    @cabelhigh: That's sort of my point, Gears is the bench mark of good third person cover based shooting and it came out in 2006. ME2 couldn't even be as good as that in 2010. Its nice that they are adding the weapons customization stuff even if it doesn't sound all that great.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By WickedCestus
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    @supermike6 said:
    God I hope not.  That stupid thing is the worst part about ME1.
    YOU CAN DRIVE UP MOUNTAINS. YOU CAN DRIVE UP MOUNTAINS!!! What's not to love?
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Subjugation

@supermike6 said:

@Cataphract1014 said:
    @supermike6 said:
    God I hope not. That stupid thing is the worst part about ME1.
    YOU CAN DRIVE UP MOUNTAINS. YOU CAN DRIVE UP MOUNTAINS!!! What's not to love?

Who drove up mountains? I used the boosters to hop everywhere.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By veektarius
    @weeman105:  The boosters lasted like, two seconds.  Did they change that on the PC version or something?/
    nazer858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nazer858

Glad you enjoyed it, and I agree with everyone else here that I'm pretty excited to hear that you liked what you heard of the new music.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Sayishere

I need to play ME 1 and 2 /sigh.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Roger778

@weeman105
    The Mako is fun to drive in ME 1, but I do hope they improve the driving mechanics if it does come back.  It was too easy to get stuck in some areas, and the only way out is to use the boosters if that happens.  Other than that, it was also fun to shoot Geth with it's mounted cannon. 

Anyway, great to hear that you got a chance to play it, and lived to tell about it.  Awesome article.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.