Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

I'm writing a Mass Effect 3 multiplayer guide.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By SmasheControllers

I'd like your guys opinion of my first entry.

The Classes
    Much like the Single-Player game, Mass Effect 3's multiplayer has six player class with each class having 3 different races, each class and races has its strengths and weaknesses. All classes bring something unique to the battlefield, when prepping for battle be sure to have a good mix of classes, even if a team of all Vanguards sounds great.
    Adept

Specialization(s):
    Biotics
    Combat Role(s):
    Providing Crowd Control and Support
    Weapon Loadout:
    Seeing as the Adept is a power focused class, I'd highly recommend keeping weight as low as possible, with a faster cooldown the Adept can provide more support through the use of their powers. Light weapons, like heavy pistols and SMGs, are your best bet.
    Class Strengths and Weaknesses:
    The Adept is at their best when enemies are grouped together, abilities like Singularity and Reave can eff's ect multiple targets. Biotic Explosions are absolutely devastating, a single biotic with a fast cooldown or a group of biotics, are able to constantly put pressure on the enemy.
    The Adept focuses so heavily on their powers, this is a strength and weakness. Early on the player lacks these powers that make the Adept so great. You'll probably relay on your team to carry you your first game or two.
    General Class Tips and Tricks:
    • Stay with your team. Your supporting your team with your biotic powers and they're providing you with cover fire.
    • Unlock all powers quickly as possible. The more powers you have, the more biotic explosions you can cause.
    • Warp/Reave is king. Warp/Reave will set up and cause a biotic explosion, both Human and Asari Adepts have Warp while Drell have Reave.
    Class Races
    • Humans - (Singularity/Warp/Shockwave) The Human passive skill, Alliance Training, can provide a decease to all weapon weight. This allows the Human Adept with more options in their loadout. By default Humans have 500 health and barriers, which is much higher than both the Asari and Drell.
    • Asari - (Stasis/Warp/Throw) The Asari's Stasis ability allows her to stop all but armored targets. If you combo this with teammates ready to attack, you can take down most any target easily.
    • Drell - (Reave/Pull/Cluster Grenade) Like I said above Reave is super effective, it's essentially a better Warp. It stops health regen and weakens armor and barriers. Pull and Reave is a great combo, Pull an enemy near his friendly and detonate. Cluster Grenade will also cause biotic explosion as well. An effective combo a tougher enemies like Brutes and Phantoms is to hit their armor with Reave and then toss a Cluster Grenade.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

I wouldn't necessarily say Asari adept has to use Stasis in tandem with teammates,  Stasis upgraded with damage upgrades is pretty devastating if you have a strong pistol like the Carnifex and Paladin.  Pull off headshots like it's nobodies business, especially against Cerberus, I can take out a Phantom with 3 headshots with a Paladin on Silver.  This advance also goes to Asari Vanguards.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmasheControllers

@Marz: Thanks for the tip I'll edit this info in, Typos aside things seems fine?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marz
    @SmasheControllers: yeah, i guess i should also say that Warp + Throw combo for Asari Adept is pretty good AoE damage since both skills have a talent(detonate) for increasing biotic explosion damage and it's confirmed they stack
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmasheControllers

@Marz: I was wondering that, do the bonus stack or since throw is the one causing the explosion, is that the one getting the bonus?

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By cronus42

Warp throw at high levels is really the most viable strategy with asari adept. High level adept on gold can take brutes down in 2 biotic explosions. plus the aoe kills everything around it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marz
    @SmasheControllers: i updated my post but yeah they do stack, posted in a link in the other reply.
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmasheControllers

@Marz: Saw it, thanks I'll put that to good use in writing the guide.

Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Slaneesh

1) On gold shields/barries have to break before you can do damage to health.

That means if you do a headshot on a guy who only has 1% shield left its not going to touch his health. This is very important to note.

2) Most gold runs are done for credits as the time it takes to complete is normally not worth it if you do it for the experience.

3) If you do gold runs for money most people would choose Cerberus as they are by far the easiest enemies (Credits are not affected).

The only real trouble comes from Phantoms on gold - and going back to my previous point this makes Stasis bouble highly more valuable than the damage version, since you cant touch heath unless the barrier is gone.

So a Stasis specced Asari is a must combined with atleast 1 Salarian Infiltrator. Why?

The salarian Infiltrator has energy drain which can be used in cloak just before sniping to take away the shield and then kill the enemy. This is without the upgrade in the energy tree that allows you to use an abilty.

A Salarian infiltrator with the Widow will out damage any other class on gold

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slaneesh: Thanks for the notes, I've complete changed this entry and I'm about 60% complete with the guide as a whole. Once I'm done I'll open it up to those who'd want to edit it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @SmasheControllers
     Some stuff to correct/add:
    • All Adepts have 500 health. Humans and Asari also have 500 shields. Only the Drell have 250 shields
    • Asari Adept has one of the most effective dodges in the game, it is faster then all the others both in how long it takes to come out and to complete. Only downside is that it uses a small part of your barrieer/shield
    • a throw upgraded for damage has tiny cooldown, is easy to spam, and can one shot weak enemies like husks, making it extremely efficient against them
    • Biotic Explosion which is where the power of all Adepts comes from scales with the ranks of the 2 abilities used, not their damage or anything else (unless ability is explicitly stated to be affecting the explosion)
    • Biotic Explosion damage scales with difficulty, doing more on harder difficulties
    • Biotic Explosion damage does nto scale with any buffs/skills that simply add +biotic/ability dmg, it's pre set and seperate from ability dmg
    • Warp + Throw Biotic explosion of the Asari adept is significantly better then those of others due to both powers having stacking dmg buffs on explosion, making them that much more powerfull, minute cooldowns of both abilities also makes it easy to spam
    • Stasis bubble is great against everything but especially cerberus, because their only armored units are turrets and Atlas, the bubble will stop phantoms/nemesi and it will also make those shield dudes drop their shields
    • colldown can be decreased further then the 200% shown. for example sporting a Predator X will make your cooldowns lower then sporting a Predator plus an SMG with lightweight, even tho both cases will show 200% bonus cooldown
    heavyplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By heavyplay

Is maxing throw worth it?

I'm trying to work out my Asari Adept build. I like to have 3 skills maxed, one at 5 and last one at 3.

So far I've got:

Stasis - 1+2+3+4+5+6 Bubble

Warp - 1+2+3+4+5+6 Pierce

Throw - 1+2+3+4+5 Detonate

Justicar - 1+2+3+4 (increased capacity) +5+6 (pistol weight)

Fitness - 1+2+3

The only thing I'm worried about is losing that last 40% of health in the last 3 tiers of the Fitness tree.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

the barrier/shield part won't be a problem if you team with a human engineer or turian sentinel

overload 6 deals double damage to barriers and shields, part with all the power damage bonus from alliance training/turian veteran and tech armor, any barrier/shield beside those of atlas, geth prime and banshee should go down in 1 hit

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @heavyplay:

Yes it's worth it.
    Biotic Damage depends on ranks of skills used to set up and trigger the explosion so a 6:6 will do more damage then 6:5
    You also get 290 damage component on last rank of throw, which makes it one shot weaker enemies like husks, and deal extra base damage to things before the explosion.

Fitness at rank 3 only gives 25% not 40% health/shields.
    Personally I only spend 5 points in Justicar, because 30% pistol weight is useless to me (unless using guns like the Scorpion).
    All standard pistols get out dps'ed by your basic Predator, which is already light as a feather.
    heavyplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By heavyplay

@Tennmuerti said:

@heavyplay: Fitness at rank 3 only gives 25% not 40% health/shields.

What I meant was the last 3 ranks of fitness give you 40% health. Rank 4 = 15%, Rank 6 = 25%, and Rank 5 gives the 15% less recharge delay.

I take a scoped Carnifex into missions and with the Rank 4 Justicar skill (+20 carry weight), that gives me a recharge bonus of 177%. I'm guessing that 30% pistol weight will bring me down to 200%.

I'll try out a scoped Predator a few times and see how that goes. Edit: A lot less head popping. I think the Carnifex is better suited to my playstyle.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#16  Edited By Mnemoidian

Random comments and replies to other's posts in the thread:

• The Asari dodge is the most effective dodge there is - faster and it allows you to completely avoid damage in some situations. This includes the ability to dodge through rockets and other projectiles. The downside is slightly draining your barrier. (And, I believe you can't dodge if your barrier is entirely down?). The Asari Vanguard has the same dodge.
    • I'd put emphasis on maximizing your primary biotic detonation method first, as the damage of your biotic explosions scale with both abilities used to cause the detonation.
    • Don't forget your pistol. I know some love the Carnifex, but I feel it takes too much time to aim, so I prefer the Predator and just spam it (without aiming down the sight) with the crosshair on the target. While most of your damage is caused by Biotic Explosions, the pistol is handy for a couple of things: Sniping Guardians (more effective with Carnifex or similar), Finishing off an enemy that barely survives a biotic explosion.
    • +200% power recharge is strongly recommended. I'd suggest only bringing a pistol as backup (at least past level 6-8 or something - I tend to bring heavy weapons 'till I level up a bit), the vast majority of your damage will be dealt with Biotic Explosions. I prefer the Predator or Carnifex (at high levels it's light enough for 200% power recharge without taking the final rank of Asari Justicar) - though I know some like the Arc Pistol (which I can't remember the actual name for...).
    • I tend to spam Warp and Throw primarily, but don't underestimate setting up Biotic Explosions for team-mates (be aware of what your team-mates are doing), using throw for crowd control (swarming husks) or popping Stasis to Crowd control a Phantom.
    • I typically go 6/6/6/3/3 (Asari Adept, not sure if that adds up? not at home atm...), getting Stasis bubble (it's handy for a lot of things - setting up traps, etc...) and buffing biotic explosions in warp and throw. It makes you very soft, but... hopefully your team is covering you?
    • I've experimented with the Disciple shotgun - as I tend to have the most issues with enemies getting in my face. Worked fairly well, and the weight penalty wasn't bad. It staggers, but I'm not sure... not had the guts to try it out on gold yet. Then again, a throw to the face tends to have similar effects.

... I pretty much only play Asari among the adepts, as the other adept races have not been as fun or powerful for me.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vorbis

@heavyplay: Don't bother with Fitness, nothing on there will save your life on Gold, you will still get 2 shot by everything, just max out other stuff and learn to take cover, if you stick with your squad it will not matter. Asari Adept are the most agile class thanks to their amazing dodge, learn to use it and love it.

Throw, Stasis and Warp must all be maxed otherwise your Biotic Explosions will not do enough damage.

Also people claim you can go over 200% but it doesn't show, if this is the case then Pistol Weight is far more important then anything in the Fitness tree.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#18  Edited By Mnemoidian

@heavyplay: Not that helpful (as there's no easy way to get it) but higher-level Carnifex will allow you to get +200% power recharge without the final level of Asari Justicar (-30% pistol weight).

Not sure what level mine is at, V, VII or IX... I think.

Tend to use my Predator (X) anyway. But I think that choice primarily comes down to playstyle, as you say.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @heavyplay said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@heavyplay: Fitness at rank 3 only gives 25% not 40% health/shields.

What I meant was the last 3 ranks of fitness give you 40% health. Rank 4 = 15%, Rank 6 = 25%, and Rank 5 gives the 15% less recharge delay.

I take a scoped Carnifex into missions and with the Rank 4 Justicar skill (+20 carry weight), that gives me a recharge bonus of 177%. I'm guessing that 30% pistol weight will bring me down to 200%.

I'll try out a scoped Predator a few times and see how that goes. Edit: A lot less head popping. I think the Carnifex is better suited to my playstyle.

Predator is best with extra ammo not scope imo.
    It has very high rate of fire with a good trigger finger. You aren't so much aiming as basically doing as much damage as possible between spamming Biotic Explosions.
    I can see the Carnifex as a good alternative.
    815Sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 815Sox

@Tennmuerti said:

@SmasheControllers:

• colldown can be decreased further then the 200% shown. for example sporting a Predator X will make your cooldowns lower then sporting a Predator plus an SMG with lightweight, even tho both cases will show 200% bonus cooldown

Really? I had no idea.

I also do love the Predator X with power classes... extra ammo capacity+dmg is the best mods IMO... I usually get the 5 or 10 headshot bonus. I basically start hitting them in the body and then work my way up to the head.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tennmuerti: You sure about the cooldown thing? I'm using a Locust X and Phalanx X with 200% Cooldown Bonus and It says 3.96 sec cooldown for my Warp, and with only Phalanx it still says 3.96 sec.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool guide duder, keep it up.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By N7

Salarian Engineer is the best class to use when you're running in Gold. It's basically easy mode.

Spec to have everything but Incinerate maxed out. Run Geth, Firebase White, on Gold. Stick up by the ladder. It's best to have two Salarian Engineer, but with the chance involved getting one, it's probably easier to run with one.

The class is best played from range, maybe with the Carnifex or other good Heavy Pistols. The key is to keep recharge times down and spamming your Energy Drain/Decoy. Spec the decoy to have max shields because the longer it's out the better chances you have to stay alive. It's also worth noting the Decoy pulls ALL aggro. So you're up there, safe, while the decoy is out running about.

It's also best played with a Quarian Infiltrator, as she can hack the Geth and go invisible. The plan is to wait for the payday rounds at 3, 6, and 10. Have her solo all the objectives(Except for uploads) while using decoy to pull all of their aggro. Prepare for about 6-7 Geth Primes per round, after wave 5 or 6.

I've noticed two Salarian Engineer's and a Quarian Infiltrator makes it so easy it is not funny. You'll be rolling ten deep in 70k in no time, as long as you tell people to stick together and aim for the head. NO LONE WOLF. The fourth character should be a purely damage centric person. Such as a Krogan Solder, rocking a Claymore and maybe a high-damage sniper or Assault Rifle. The other three characters are survivability classes, which CAN be good with damage, but their whole point is recharge time and power spamming. You never know when you'll need to throw down a decoy, and believe me, there will be times when a Geth prime just fucking appears behind you without any warning. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DECOY.

I was playing with a dude(Dick is more like it) and I was telling him that we just need to stick together and use team-work to beat gold, and that I had just got done finishing two back-to-back Gold, only for him to straight up tell me "No you didn't. Bioware said only 1% of all players can beat Gold. I'll be downstairs." "OH WHAT THE FUCK WHY DIDN'T YOU GUYS REVIVE ME!!"

Use the buddy system. Do not let a buddy go out alone, or you will all die one by one. Use your class the way it is meant to be used. You could spec to do more damage and be less functional, or do less damage and have really awesome class combinations. The way I see it, having all of those extra abilities are a trick, as having better shields and health has saved me more than Incinerate. The key is tech-explosions and biotic-explosions. Use your powers together, prime them up and blow them down. Do not underestimate your powers. Guns cannot win every war.

And remember it is sometimes better to die and wait to respawn instead of wasting Medigel and dying again.

That's all I got. Extrapolate from that what you will or want to. It's worked for me and I mean it has WORKED wonders. For me and my crew, Gold is so easily manageable it will feel like Silver, but more Geth Primes.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @SmasheControllers said:

@Tennmuerti: You sure about the cooldown thing? I'm using a Locust X and Phalanx X with 200% Cooldown Bonus and It says 3.96 sec cooldown for my Warp, and with only Phalanx it still says 3.96 sec.

Pretty sure.

Just did some tests again:
    Predator X + Hornet with Ulrtalight = Throw 1.42 cooldown, Warp 2.84
    Predator X only = Throw 1.23 , Warp 2.46
    Predator X + Shuriken X = Throw 1.23 , Warp 2.46
    Hornet with Ultralight only = Throw 1.33, Warp 2.65 
    Locust with Ultra + Predator X = Throw 1.32 Warp 2.64
    Avenger X + Tempest with Ultra = Throw 1.33 Warp 2.67 

There are a limited number of combinatrions that work and are 200%
    Tried some other light weapons, the limit always seems to be at 1.23 , 2.46
    All combinations are showing 200%

Another theory is that Ultra Lighweight Materials are not calculating properly.

Yeah... just tried the same comboes with Ultra light removed and cooldowns remain the same as when the guns had them.
    At this point i'm pretty sure it's just a bug with Ultralight materials not giving proper cooldowns
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Dagbiker
    1. Shoot That Guy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.