Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

ME3: Would you get rid of multiplayer if it improved campaign?

• 75 results
    815Sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By 815Sox

@StarvingGamer said:

@mutha3 said:

I have no idea why there is such a fervor around the ME3 MP. Its a barebones horde mode with an extremely shitty progression mechanic tied on. Anyway, I would trade it for a better SP in a heartbeat. The lack of polish in ME3 is painfully visible in the entire game.

Personally, I like the multiplayer because the combat system in ME3 is so fun. In most games I go in with my Phalanx for maximum recharge speed and spam powers. There is also really great gun variety so sometimes I like to go in with my maximum accuracy N7 Crusader shotgun which basically works like a 4-round sniper-rifle without a scope and pair that up with my Striker assault rifle for insane close-range DPS.

Also I don't know what you're talking about in terms of lack of polish. I played on the PC and I can count the number of bugs and inconsistencies I experienced during my 35 hours through the game on the hand of a blind butcher.

@mutha3 said:

@StarvingGamer said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

A conclusion that was actually peer reviewed this time

Wasn't that rumor debunked pretty quickly?

No, it wasn't. Bioware "confirmed" it was fake based on......absolutely nothing. Either a masterclass photoshop forgery was made using Weekes' legit PA account name and there is a contingent of people out there who claim they saw it that are lying through their teeth or.....Bioware is covering their ass.

Or someone hacked his account. Seriously, why would someone commit career suicide like that unless they were planning to quit game development entirely, which he obviously hasn't done.

Because it validates what the ultra negative critics are saying... silly. You know that they are always correct, and anyone who disagrees is a big idiot.

I really like the MP so no.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By EXTomar

The multiplayer mode works but it could have been offered a lot more if entirely stand alone. I never complained about the idea of a multiplayer, team based Mass Effect game but that it didn't make much sense in Mass Effect 3.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Capum15

Sure. I still haven't gotten around to playing the MP.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By BonOrbitz

The campaign was fine, except for the ending and the planet scanning. I wouldn't give the multiplayer up to improve those things, however. The ending is going to be expanded upon and if it wasn't I'd chalk it up to shitty writing and my own interpretation to fill in the gaps.

I'm in the "rarely interested in multiplayer" camp as well and I'm hooked on ME3's multiplayer for some reason.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Akyho

Nah since the MP had nothing to do with the quality and if anything enriched the game a little. Since the MP maps are the N7 missions. And while the N7 missions are not awesome by themselves coupled with the rest of the games its a nice to have them there.

So no.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By mutha3
    @StarvingGamer said:

Also I don't know what you're talking about in terms of lack of polish. I played on the PC and I can count the number of bugs and inconsistencies I experienced during my 35 hours through the game on the hand of a blind butcher.

I experienced more bugs and crashes with this game than any other in the series.

Anyway, I'm more referring to the fact that the side-content in this game sucks, the intro and the ending feel extremely rushed and nonsensical, the roster is smaller than its ever been unless you buy DLC, there are less options for dialogue and the investigate option has all but disappeared etc etc.

This game should have been in the oven for another year, imo. It was a huge let-down and I consider it the worst ME game despite its gameplay refinements.

@815Sox

said:

@StarvingGamer said:

@mutha3 said:

@StarvingGamer said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

A conclusion that was actually peer reviewed this time

Wasn't that rumor debunked pretty quickly?

No, it wasn't. Bioware "confirmed" it was fake based on......absolutely nothing. Either a masterclass photoshop forgery was made using Weekes' legit PA account name and there is a contingent of people out there who claim they saw it that are lying through their teeth or.....Bioware is covering their ass.

Or someone hacked his account. Seriously, why would someone commit career suicide like that unless they were planning to quit game development entirely, which he obviously hasn't done.

Because it validates what the ultra negative critics are saying... silly. You know that they are always correct, and anyone who disagrees is a big idiot.

I really like the MP so no.

haha, what? Are you guys seriously suggesting that someone specifically hacked Patrick Weekes' account to write down that totally reasonable, tame critique? Ignoring for a second that if this actually happened, PA would have confirmed this immediately? Ignoring that not a lot of people even knew that Patrick Weekes was posting on PA under that name?(which is why he felt comfortable airing those grievances.)

Sorry, but if you genuinely believe that you are a big idiot and you need to lay off the Bioware-koolaid. Lets take the alternate, way more simple, way less crazy explanation: Bioware does not want to admit an employee talked shit about them. We call this PR.
    Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Straight up, disregarding how the multiplayer affected the development of the game, if it could improve the single player campaign hands down, yeah I would. Horde mode is nothing special.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By spazmaster666

Probably not since the multiplayer is actually pretty damn fun, even if it can get repetitive if you're not changing classes/races. I also felt that the overall quality of the campaign to be pretty high, and pretty much on par with the previous games

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

The only problem with the campaign was the ending, if the multiplayer hadn't been made, it would still probably be a horrible ending.

Besides, the multiplayer is pretty damn fun, much better than I thought it would be.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By DeeGee

The multiplayer is way too good to remove.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By DoctorTran

I'd rather remove the Galactic Readiness aspect.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By Bones8677

I thought the overall campaign was really good, the problem was how "side quests" were handled. That is something that really should have been fixed. And of course the multiplayer is shallow and un interesting. I already have and play Gears 3 which is still a better shooter anyway.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By MikkaQ

Game development is such that adding multiplayer doesn't detract from singleplayer development. It's mostly a different team that works on it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By EXTomar

It isn't necessarily the manhours or workload that compromises to either component to make it fit together. I'd rather have a multiplayer game that acknowledges but isn't bound to the events of Mass Effect 3. Or another way to look at it: I'd rather have another bonus for "prestige" at level 20 than a war assets.

dbene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By dbene

It seems like a moot point since they are gonna give a better "enhanced ending" free this summer.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

ME3 had my favourite co-op wave based survival to date.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By Rohok

Yes I would've.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#68  Edited By MEATBALL

I don't know how much impact not having multiplayer would have had on the campaign, but lets just assume that in this hypothetical situation it directly resulted in a better single-player campaign then I'd gladly sacrifice it. And I really really enjoyed Mass Effect 3's campaign, its multiplayer is also completely awesome but if it didn't exist and we had a better single-player game in its place I'll take that deal every time. I doubt that's how it would go, though.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#69  Edited By StarvingGamer

@mutha3: Sucks about the bugs. It sounds like your experience was the exact opposite of mine. In their entirety, I had one bug where Shepard and Liara kept looking at Glyph during a conversation and one bug where I got caught in the geometry. That's it. Also you do realize that none of your other complaints have anything to do with polish right?

As far as Weekes is concerned, to believe that his post is credible is to believe that he was willing to make himself a pariah in the game industry, basically unhireable. If that were the case he either A) should have had an exit plan in place and quit his position at BioWare or B) is a total idiot and therefore can't be taken seriously. And when I say his account might be hacked I don't mean someone forcibly intruded into the PA forum servers and tapped into his account. I mean someone used an alternative method somewhere in order to obtain his password, then used that information to legitimately log on to PA and post. The reasonable manner in which the post was presented in no way invalidates this theory. Someone smart enough to track down Weekes, obtain his password, and concoct this defamation plan would probably be smart enough to know that a crazy "the sky is falling" type of post would be immediately dismissed as fake. Personally, I'd like to give Weekes the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's merely unfortunate and not really really really really really stupid.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#70  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@StarvingGamer said:

And when I say his account might be hacked I don't mean someone forcibly intruded into the PA forum servers and tapped into his account. I mean someone used an alternative method somewhere in order to obtain his password, then used that information to legitimately log on to PA and post.

Which sounds more logical and believable to you?

A) One of the writers of ME3 who has been posting on the PA forums for years posted about the ending, and did so before anyone knew what a giant shitstorm the issue would become.

B) Someone gets a hold of a BioWare writter's PA forum account. They use that account to post a well-written explanation of how the ending came to be, basically suggesting that it was written from a scientific point of view, rather than an emotional viewpoint. They do this before anyone has any idea how big of an issue the ending would become for BioWare. The post is not locked and explained to be the work of a hacker, but removed from the forum entirely, along with any posts quoting that post. Penny Arcade never says a word about the situation. BioWare officially dismiss the issue as "already debunked." The account that had been being used for YEARS--since the first Mass Effect--suddenly goes silent. There's no, "Okay, guys, I got my account back. Sorry for the confusion." type post. The account use just stops.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By EXTomar

Given how proponents support the ending, clearly "B" is what really happened.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By napalm

Yes. Yes. Over and over.

TheJappernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TheJappernaut

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74  Edited By Tofin

I think if the resources for multiplayer went back into the campaign I'd say yes, but that's not the case since that money was never going to the campaign to begin with. I suppose maybe taking away the effect it has on the campaign would be a nice compromise.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#75  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Yea

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.