Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Paragon or Renegade?

• 62 results
    Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ulain

Not sure how/if I even can make a Poll of this, but just curious who is going what side, if either? I sadly have only played Mass Effect 2, so I'm not sure how vivid the choices were for the first game, but I went mostly Paragon, then listened to a few Renegade choices, and totally wish I had gone with that instead!

I was hesitant with the choice since in the KoTOR, Dark Side choices basically made you seem like a giant dickhead, and yet people shrug it off and gave you quests and stuff to do anyway. In this genre, however, it seems like you are mostly just sarcastic and a total badass.

So I'm curious if for game #3 if they will make Paragon choices a little ballsy to compete, and what you people think will happen, and how you will choose.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Catarrhal

Have you considered Paragade?

Seriously, anyone who plays like--to use Brad Shoemaker's term--a total "boy scout" is missing some of the best moments in the series. If the situation calls for you to throw that guy off a building, then go ahead and throw that guy. You'll thank me for it.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By donchipotle

I role play so I usually end up pretty middle of the road. I can't bring myself to just stick to one path. You should think about doing the same. But always throw dudes off buildings. Always.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By zyn

@Catarrhal said:

Seriously, anyone who plays like--to use Brad Shoemaker's term--a total "boy scout" is missing some of the best moments in the series. If the situation calls for you to throw that guy off a building, then go ahead and throw that guy. You'll thank me for it.

Indeed. Being a complete "nice guy" isn't the best idea when it comes to "entertainment". You have to be a dick sometimes.

kiyseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By kiyseph

In most games, I usually end up picking the "Good Guy" choices the first time through. Mass Effect is the only series where I play as Renegade the first time through. I think it's because it's not necessarily the "EVIL" choice, but more so the "I do whatever it takes to get the job done." approach that is really appealing to me.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By saethir

In mass effect 2 my Shepard stopped taking shit. She's not about to start now.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ImperiousRix

@DonChipotle said:

I role play so I usually end up pretty middle of the road. I can't bring myself to just stick to one path.

Yeah, I kinda do this. I'm pretty skewed towards Paragon, but I make a fair amount of Renegade decisions.

It's more just from a standpoint where I'm making decisions based on how I'd do it if I was Shep. Most of the time I'm a compassionate and understanding dude, but sometimes I need to lay down the law.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stryker1121

I usually play these games as an opportunist type. I try to make the right moral choices and never kill in cold blood, but I'll steal anything not nailed down and lay the smackdown on a fool if needs be.

Schatzy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Schatzy23
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By ReyGitano

@Catarrhal said:

Accurate. I tend to make all the "good" moral decisions, but that doesn't mean that my righteous Shepard can't kick people out of windows. Thanks Mass Effect 2 for letting me say the right thing, but do something badass.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

All depends on which of the five Shepards I'll be using. Though I'll do a primarily renegade focussed initial run since that's how my original Shepard rolled.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dany

@Abyssfull:I was once like you. I had 7 shepards. Now I only have two female good and a bad boy. Both adept now

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chop

Always Renegade

Paragon Shepard is such a fucking pussy. Shepard isn't a grief counselor; it isn't his/her job to coddle people.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I just play it by ear. I'll make decisions based upon how I think I'd actually react in certain situations.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PeasantAbuse

My Shepard is fully paragon. I think I might go back and play through all the ME games with renegade choices after I finish ME3.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@Creamypies said:

I just play it by ear. I'll make decisions based upon how I think I'd actually react in certain situations.

Same here. Even when my character is still clearly following one distinct path, I'll decide against a decision that my character would usually make just because I personally think it's what I'd do--or if there's always a benefit. With every single Shepard, I renegade'd the Batarian mechanic with the electric tuning fork thing during the Archangel recruitment mission.

@Dany said:

@Abyssfull:I was once like you. I had 7 shepards. Now I only have two female good and a bad boy. Both adept now

Only Adept? Even though I most importantly want to go through multiple times to witness the deviations resulting from different decisions made, playing the demo has also got me excited to play through with all of the classes. Very glad to see the Engineer class actually has a few abilities to help it stand out and be pretty fun to play as.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BraveToaster

@ReyGitano said:

@Catarrhal said:

Accurate. I tend to make all the "good" moral decisions, but that doesn't mean that my righteous Shepard can't kick people out of windows. Thanks Mass Effect 2 for letting me say the right thing, but do something badass.

This. I like balancing out the two.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IkariNoTekken
    @Catarrhal@DonChipotle @Creamypies
     I've not played any of the ME series (not yet, I own both games) and I've come across several statements saying that playing a mix of Paragon and Renagade results in you missing out on some really interesting scenes and some supposedly 'vital' plot details. As it seems you've all played a mix yourself, do you have any thoughts on this?

I very much like the idea of role-playing the character and making each decision in the heat of the moment but I would also like  to get the most of the experience and if sticking to one moral side is best then I'm happy to do that.  If I enjoy the games I wouldn't be opposed to playing through them multiple times, but I can't guarantee that I'll have the time.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@IkariNoTekken: The downside of playing it relatively straight, is that all the "persuasion" moments in conversations are based upon your Paragon & Renegade ranking. So if you've got an even split, you're gonna be locked out of a fair amount of persuasion moments.

I did find, however, that even though I role play my Shepard... I still leaned pretty heavily towards the good side. I'm a nice guy, y'see. So, I guess... providing you're a good person (or a bad person) at heart... you shouldn't find yourself getting locked out of too much stuff.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IkariNoTekken
    @Creamypies: Oh I see, I wasn't entirely sure what the rankings actually did but that clears that up. As for role-playing I'm sure like yourself, I'll end up leaning in one direction more than the other.
    Thanks for your input, appreciate it. 
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EvilTwin

I'm mostly paragon, but if they give me the option to wipe out the Geth then I'm taking it.

SomeScrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SomeScrub

Whoever kicks more fools out of windows

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Phatmac

I play like Han Solo in my main ME shepard. Others are extremes of paragon and renegade.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By boboblaw

I played Paragon in both games although I still activated those Renegade moments in ME2 when they popped up as well as picking Renegade dialogue options if it was simply the better choice (in my opinion)

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sickVisionz

My first playthrough of any WRPG is the same: I make the choices I would make in real life. That usually means I do the right things when someone is willing to pay me for it. I'm initially nice to everyone but I neither forgive nor forget and any betrayal or slight is cause for death.

Then I'll play with a female character and make her an evil bitch who kills people for fun and takes joy in ruining lives.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By applet0n

@Phatmac: Same right here. My Shepard makes the right decision at the end of the day, but that doesn't mean he's going to roll over for everyone.

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

I tend to favor the paragon route. On my initial play through I'll be mostly good, but tend to go with what I think is best at the moment. Then on my 2nd play through my renegade FemShep will show no mercy whatsoever.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Ruiner

one of each...obviously

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Gabriel

Renegade I'm the Illusive Man's enforcer, also the evil scars are balling as hell.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The first time through, I "go with my gut," which nine times out of ten is paragon. Then, on my second time through, I go all renegade. Then on my third time, I go all paragon. After that, who knows.

Yes, I play these games a lot. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By matthias2437

Although being Renegade is more fun for sure I have a really hard time playing a "bad" character in games. So I went Paragon 100%.

Mjdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mjdemon

I mostly play Renegade. in ME1 had 2 Sheps and one was all good the other all bad but in ME2 i was all bad just because i wanted my face to get worse. Never got the ship upgrade to fix my dace cuz i thought i looked super cool lol. Renegade just seems cooler and in ME3 i'll be renegade just cuz freaking ppl should have listened to me when i kept saying the Reapers are coming.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Deranged

Full Paragon all the way. It's too easy to be evil and completely predictable.

suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By suikoden352

paragon

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By blueinferno

I don't understand why everyone is asking "Paragon or Renegade?" I just play both!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm

@Catarrhal: Pentagade. Renegon.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By Sooperspy

I usually always hit one of the triggers when they come up. If there is both, then I'll do Paragon. If its just Renegade, then I'll do it.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AngelN7

I role play so most of the times I'm 40/60 on that , I think is way more fun than just choosing the option at the top and play as a Boy Scout Shepard (Full paragon) or as a heartless Shepard (Full Renegade), I think the consecuences for not having the Paragon/Renegade option available at all time are much more powefull, like in the first Mass Effect

if you can't convince him to calm down or to listen, when that happened to me I felt like I didn't have the control of the situation, and I didn't as I couldn't rely on the "game-y" part of the game.

But that's why I have 3 different Shepards (2 male , 1 female) , Canon Shepard choosing whatever I feel I should choose for the moment, and the other 2 to see the outcome of going full paragon and regengade. I'm incline more towards regenade than paragon, and Mass Effect 2 with those awesome interrupts may have help in that, but also renegade Shepard is not bad sometimes he's a bit of a yerk but he gets the job done he's cautious and does what's necesary when no one does or has the guts to make the hard choices kinda like me but without punching people.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By big_jon

I do what feels right, no one way for me.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AngelN7

@mcderby4 said:

Full Paragon all the way. It's too easy to be evil and completely predictable.

Dude Renegade Shepard is not evil!, he can be renegade and save the concil, be renegade and give medigel to those who need it , think of him as Ruthless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Wouldn't it be novel for Bioware to have moral choices not be so black and white?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just try and make the decisions that make the most sense at the time.

Specifically trying to be full paragon or renegade seems boring as hell. When you do something like that, all of your choices have already been made before you even pick up the controller, it's just a matter of pressing the right button.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AngelN7

@bartok said:

Wouldn't it be novel for Bioware to have moral choices not be so black and white?

There's not a lot of games out there that give you an established "gray zone" maybe Fallout 3?, I think that's pretty hard to do but they do have the neutral options in Mass Effect those give you both Renegade and Paragon points.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By napalm

@AngelN7 said:

@bartok said:

There's not a lot of games out there that give you an established "gray zone" maybe Fallout 3?, I think that's pretty hard to do but they do have the neutral options in Mass Effect those give you both Renegade and Paragon points.

Really? Fallout 3 is your reference? There's plenty of old school PC games that have tons of choices that are more varied than what Mass Effect gives you. I can already say the first two Fallouts are like this, and there's old PC RPGs that do something similar. I only know this because a PC elitist on another board I used to talk to never stopped talking about the stuff.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By blueinferno

@Catarrhal said:

Agreed. Paragade is a perfectly valid way to play Mass Effect. Treat your crew members nice and help people in need, and then if needed, push a dude out a fucking window.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lclay

Clearly the correct answer is both? 

But Paragon first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

To be fair Mass Effect doesn't really punish you like Jade Empire or KOTOR did by having special abilities and equipment tied to your moral alignment.  I tend to play Paragon ( I have yet to be able to bring myself to kill Wrex) but if someone is annoying me, it would profit me without being too evil, there is a prompt, or it is just funny then I will chose the Renegade option. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My female Shepard I play as sort of both. I decide which conversation point is most appropriate, and go with it. She's ultimately a good person who wants to save people and do good, but isn't afraid to cut to the chase or break the rules as well. It makes for a very fun game that is more anti-hero with a conscience than a pure renegade path tends to offer.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By AndrewB

I hope they give me the option for my good Shepard to suddenly make the most evil choice at the end of the game. If they do, I'll choose that.

Then paragon.

Then bitch queen of the universe renegade female Shepard.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Capum15

Paragon for a good 95% of the time. However, sometimes the Renegade choice will take precedent. Like immolating that Krogan.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.