Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Thinking about picking this up

Praedos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Praedos

Was thinking about picking this up or Witcher 2, but cannot decide. I've been a fan of ME since the first hit, and ever since have loved everything about it. However, i'm skeptical this time around considering the ending and I've heard the MP is mediocre (Don't really care about that as much). Its reviews were good but the past couple of weeks I've heard a lot of bitching regarding the game, and was just wondering whether this is a buy/skip.

TLDR: Buy or pass on ME 3

Dankeschon,

~Praedos

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

You should probably wait until the Extended Cut of the game comes out. Should be out around summer.

Honestly, the game is getting flak for how it ended. Everything else is fine. The multiplayer actually has some depth to it on higher medal challenges. Sure, you could just shoot dudes and judge the game by that but power-dependent classes, in single-player and multiplayer, are much more fun. At least give the multiplayer a try. I was one of those people who said they would completely ignore that stuff since I'm not interested in that stuff in any game. But now I have an N7 ranking of 300, which is pretty effin' surprising as far as I'm concerned.

Fait622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fait622

@Praedos: I would say play ME3, the game has a couple of the highest highs of the trilogy, but feels a little rushed and the ending seems strapped together for the purpose of causing "discussion" (that has to be the best cover for making shitty media). Just temper your expectations and enjoy some more time with your crew and the game is awesome. However, I have not played Witcher 2 so I can't really compare the two.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SlightConfuse

The multiplayer is really fun don't know who told you otherwise.also the game ia a blast.

Can't go wrong with eather

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeF

finally started playing last week ... stopped after 4 hours. their way of storytelling/cinematic direction this time really really really puts me off ... I'm gonna have to force myself to continue.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By TheHBK

I am waiting for it to be 20 bucks, it's on sale at Best Buy for 40 bucks now though... so tempted.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The multiplayer is generic, but you should definitely play ME3. It is, without a doubt, a good game. If you must buy one right now though, buy Witcher 2. That game is fucking fantastic. Just wait to buy ME3 in the summer when the free DLC is out and maybe then it will be cheaper.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

ME3 is a great game and shouldn't be missed.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By chilibean_3

Yeah, the multiplayer is alright at best (though some people seem to love it for whatever reason) and the ending isn't good but it's still a really good game. Though you may want to wait until they do whatever it is they plan on doing for the ending. Or maybe not since I have no idea what they really have planned for that. If you're a Mass Effect fan then you should definitely play the third and see the end of the trilogy.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Grillbar

buy it its great, i dont care what people say about the ending its the main game thats worth it

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By onan

@Praedos said:

Was thinking about picking this up or Witcher 2, but cannot decide. I've been a fan of ME since the first hit, and ever since have loved everything about it. However, i'm skeptical this time around considering the ending and I've heard the MP is mediocre (Don't really care about that as much). Its reviews were good but the past couple of weeks I've heard a lot of bitching regarding the game, and was just wondering whether this is a buy/skip.

TLDR: Buy or pass on ME 3

Dankeschon,

~Praedos

How have you been a fan since the first game but now you're on the fence because the included multiplayer is just average? That... makes no sense.

The only thing you need to know to answer this is if you care at all about the characters and the universe and you'd like to see some resolution. Granted, the final resolution is handled incredibly poorly, but the 30 hours leading up to it are pretty incredible. One point in the game even made me put the game down for a few days just to absorb the ramifications of it before moving on.

I'd say get it, or get whichever game is in a universe you enjoy playing in.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mirado

I didn't find the ending to be as offensive as people seem to take it. It wasn't great, but I don't think it's terrible enough to warrant skipping the game. Give it a go.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Animasta

get witcher 2. ME3's fine, but Witcher 2 is a fantastic game that is way better than ME3.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

@DeF said:

finally started playing last week ... stopped after 4 hours. their way of storytelling/cinematic direction this time really really really puts me off ... I'm gonna have to force myself to continue.

I don't know what you're talking about. It's almost the same execution as in the second game. The only difference now is sometimes people have more automated responses as opposed to always bringing up the dialogue wheel on the ship.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Sackmanjones

If you sift through all the negativity you can find te truth that mass effect 3 is an amazing game and you should definitely play it since your already in the fiction. Never played witcher 2 and im sure it's great, but you owe it to yourself to play mass effect 3. If you don't believe me I have a thread that show, despite the controversal ending its an overall incredible package. Plus that extended cut is due soon I believe

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By DrHawking

If you haven't bought it yet, just wait until Bioware adds the epilogue stuff. Pretty sure the game will be much cheaper by then as well.

Edit: Still a fantastic game but its not a must play immediately if you managed to put it off this long

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

MP's great, game is great, ending leaves much to be desired.
    Its worth playing though, but so is Witcher.

Up to you, fantasy or sci fi?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By FLStyle

I love the multiplayer and the 97% of the single player makes it GOTY so far for me. Hopefully that'll become 99.99% this summer.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By pyromagnestir

Play it. The game is fantastic. Make up your own mind about the ending. Some people probably think it's fine, right? Anyone? Although waiting for the extended cut may make it better. But then again, it may make it worse.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By onan

@pyromagnestir said:

Play it. The game is fantastic. Make up your own mind about the ending. Some people probably think it's fine, right? Anyone? Although waiting for the extended cut may make it better. But then again, it may make it worse.

No Caption Provided
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I absolutely hated the ending as well, but we're literally talking about the last 15 minutes of a game that took me 35 hours to finish. The rest of the game was quite good, and I also really enjoy the multiplayer.

With all that said, it might be a better idea to wait for the extended cut version of the ending, and instead get Witcher 2 for now. It's not a matter of if you should play ME3, but when.

Schatzy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Schatzy23

Buy the game. Enjoy the game. Come to your own conclusion about the ending.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By MooseyMcMan

If you played ME1 and ME2, then you absolutely have to play ME3 at some point. But if you've waited this long, then wait a few months until they put out the extended cut DLC.

But really, as bad as the ending is (and I'm of the belief that it's REALLY bad), it doesn't negate that the rest of the game is fantastic. Well, the ending is bad, and the fetch quests are bad. But that's it. The rest is great.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By killacam

@DeF said:

agreed.. though i trudged through and am about to be be done with it in minutes... finally!

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedRavN

Its a great game. I feel like its just more of what was in ME2 for the most part. There was not that much of an awesome jump between the second and third game as the first and second IMO. It for the most part stays a high quality exerience with some great moments. It feels like a more directed game than the predecessors, almost a linear progression. This is good because it keeps the tension up but takes out some of the exploration and character building that I enjoyed specifically in ME1. The threat of the reapers sort of paints everything in the game with one brush. The side fetch quests are horrible and not a suitable diversion from the main missions unfortunately. The gameplay is not mindblowing and gets repetative. There are not a lot of enemy types. I felt like the gameplay was still fun especially on insanity because it forces a more tactical approach.

In my opinion I think the witcher 2 is a better game overall. However, it is more of an rpg and less action game. So I suppose it depends on what you are most into.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DeF

@LiquidPrince said:

@DeF said:

I don't know what you're talking about. It's almost the same execution as in the second game. The only difference now is sometimes people have more automated responses as opposed to always bringing up the dialogue wheel on the ship.

Well, I was referring specifically the extreme cheesiness during the "escape" and how terrible random, pointless and annoying that first dream sequence was. The only thing I liked so far was when Shepard visits ... what's his name? The new dude (Freddie Prinze Jr) for the first time and the "talk" they're having. That part seemed well done, everything else in concerning the grand scheme of things felt very B-movie-like to me. I haven't played enough to notice the dialog wheel thing myself but I've noticed that I found myself annoyed when I saw that "investigate" prompt. Not sure if I'm just not in the mood for it this time, or if I just feel it's too cluttered with information that doesn't add anything.

There's probably a lot to look at in a blog after finishing it...

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By jaycrockett

ME3 is fantastic, an unqualified must buy, especially for a fan of the series. I am also loving the multiplayer.

However it sounds like you might be getting psyched out a bit from all the internet chatter, and that could negatively affect your experience if you let it. Maybe you should go with Witcher 2 now, which has a lot of good buzz at the moment. Then come back to Mass Effect in a few months when things (hopefully) calm down.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EXTomar

No one can tell you if you will like it or not. Instead it should be more a question of "Do you have enough time to play Mass Effect 3?"

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karkarov

Don't listen to the haters. Even if you end up hating the ending it only represents 5-10 minutes of a playtime that should run you 30+ hours. Those 30+ hours (minus the 5-10) will also be some of the best 30+ hours of gaming you will do in 2012, trust me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.