Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

What Lair of the Shadow Broker means for ME3...

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By haggis

Spoilers ahead, by the way, if you haven't played the new ME2 DLC pack "Lair of the Shadow Broker"...

The new DLC kinda knocked a big chunk of story out of ME3. Some speculation about the Shadow Broker being Miranda's father is ... well, let's just say that ended up being wrong ;)

But I'm wondering about structure. With the new Shadow Broker in place, we're pretty well assured that Liara won't be a squadmate in ME3. But we're also given a potential new hub for activity. Rather than the Normandy, it was interesting to see the Shadow Broker's ship outfitted with, well, just about everything we need for missions. The video archive in particular is intriguing me, along with the "investment opportunities" kiosk. Will the SB's hideout be the new hub, with the Normandy taking on a secondary role? Any thoughts? It seems like some suggestions that Shepard send other operative out on missions might actually have some merit after all...

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MethodMan008

I think Liara will end up being a villain in ME3.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I think ME3 will have a little more 'thought' to it. As you said, the investment opportunities could turn into an interesting side-game where you dispatch members of your team to complete missions and obtain bonuses(something we've they're adding to Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, no reason something similar would conflict with the ME universe).  There almost has to be something like this planned - as you've developed or destroyed a TON of relationships along the way to the Reaper showdown - The final fight with the Reapers will be akin to the suicide mission in ME2 - only with your actions from both prior games being taken into account: Will the Krogan join you? If you saved the Rachni they will help, same goes for the Council and probably Cerberus too (though in my case I'd imagine Cerberus isn't gonna lend a hand).

Liara will no doubt provide you with vital intel or perhaps even take on the Illusive Man's role as Shepard's 'handler' if your choices have led to that. There's a lot of potential there and hope they do justice to everything Shep has done over the years.
    I really like the idea of using the Shadow Broker's ship as a hub, but I have the feeling they won't give an ME game without a Normandy to pilot.

nirokogaseru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nirokogaseru
    @MethodMan008 said:
    " I think Liara will end up being a villain in ME3. "
    Thank you. It seems so obvious; it's the become the very thing you hate and hunt plot device.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@MethodMan008: They have to fight Reapers in ME3. This was obviously a setup for her to give you intel and support. Besides, they've already said she's still a romance option for ME3, which is why they saved her from yourself in ME2, so you didn't get her killed (as with Ashley/Kaiden).
    nirokogaseru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nirokogaseru
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell: I don't remember that announcement.  Do you have a link?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I never really thought about it tbh, however i'm sure she's going to help you in mass effect 3 defeat the reapers of course indirectly. There was an option to choose if you will salvage the alien ship in ME2 or not for cerberus, if you chose not to, hopefully liara would help. I don't know, i'm purely speculating here, I really haven't thought about it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @MethodMan008 said:
    " I think Liara will end up being a villain in ME3. "
    She was kind of a Villian in ME1.  She was doing what was essentially illegal research when Shephard rescued her.  That's the great thing about the ME universe, everyone's dirty at some level.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@nirokogaseru: A link? No it was months ago, and it was Casey Hudson saying that they were saving the first games love interests from you. I think he said it on the Giant Bombcast when he was on around launch. He outright said it on... an IGN podcast? Maybe Three Red Lights or Game Scoop! from back in January.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Vinny_Says

who's the shadow broker again? Is he Martin Sheen?

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NoXious

She'll probably drop some side-quests on the main character which'll help fund the war effort against the Reapers.
    I highly doubt that OPTIONAL dlc is going to have a massive influence on Mass Effect 3... Unless they assume that what happens in the DLC plays out even if you hadn't bought it - which would make it, redundant?

brutal_bisp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brutal_bisp
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " who's the shadow broker again? Is he Martin Sheen? "
    Martin Sheen is the Illusive Man. The shadow broker is revealed to be an awesome badass in the new DLC. By the way, was his race or species ever mentioned before the new content?
    overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By overbyte
    @yousuck137 said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:
    Martin Sheen is the Illusive Man. The shadow broker is revealed to be an awesome badass in the new DLC. By the way, was his race or species ever mentioned before the new content? "
    Totally new content in this DLC. I've never read any reference to them in the books or the comics. 

@NoXious said:
    " She'll probably drop some side-quests on the main character which'll help fund the war effort against the Reapers.I highly doubt that OPTIONAL dlc is going to have a massive influence on Mass Effect 3... Unless they assume that what happens in the DLC plays out even if you hadn't bought it - which would make it, redundant? "
    It'll probably be like the ME1 -> ME2 transition in that there's a default state which is changed by importing the save. Like if you've saved Wrex in ME1 and the default is that he's dead in ME2.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By pweidman

I think Liara will be aiding Shepard in ME3, w/the Reapers et al, but it will probably drive a wedge between Cerberus and Shep, and a choice may have to be made during the game...maybe.  Anyway, the new race presented as the Shadow Broker was awesome.  Need more of them in ME3.  And the DLC was just fantastic, and reminded me once more of the absolute greatness of the ME franchise, and specifically ME2.  I'll go back again for the Hardcore/Insanity achieve.   ME3 can't come soon enough, and I really hope another triliogy is in their plans.
    joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
    @yousuck137 said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:
    Martin Sheen is the Illusive Man. The shadow broker is revealed to be an awesome badass in the new DLC. By the way, was his race or species ever mentioned before the new content? "
    No.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By shiftymagician

I am liking the idea that Shephard will finally get some help with the new Shadow Broker very much, meaning that in ME3 the player may have potentially amazing control in affecting the universe as a whole with the power of information (remember the quote where the new Shadow Broker states "I could start a war in ten minutes" I think was what was said).

Also, we need a Yahg squadmate for Shephard stat!  The Yahg sound awesome.

nirokogaseru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nirokogaseru
    @NoXious said:
    " She'll probably drop some side-quests on the main character which'll help fund the war effort against the Reapers.I highly doubt that OPTIONAL dlc is going to have a massive influence on Mass Effect 3... Unless they assume that what happens in the DLC plays out even if you hadn't bought it - which would make it, redundant? "
    Kindof like how the books affect the game universe even if you haven't read them.  Bioware has announced that they will release DLC to bridge ME2 to ME3, and the LotSB is the first in that series of "Bridge DLC."  It's like the books, they're great if you read them and they add to the story, but they really aren't required to enjoy the mainstay Trilogy.
    Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Ferginator4k

I dont think they will take the Normandy away from being the hub of the game, i think the Normandy is a character of its own.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Shaanyboi

I think she'll be a huge asset for Shephard.  The ship, her resources, her contacts...  I'm sure she'll be able to offer a big help.  Maybe even find out some whole new way to beat the Reapers that didn't seem possible otherwise.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Tesla

There is no way the Shadow Broker ship will be used as the hub or as a replacement for the Normandy.  The SB has to stay hidden, flying around in that electrical storm or whatever.   

Hopefully they just make all the information on the SB's ship available to the player on the Normandy.

H3avyM3tal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By H3avyM3tal

Spoilers:

I found it amusing (or really not, depends) that the original SB was overthrown by something that was intended to be a plaything of sorts. The myth behind the SB (him being untouchable and god-like) was pretty much destroyed with the DLC. However, I wouldn't say that I didn't anticipate that Shep and co could defeat him. At least we got to be with Liara for a bit.  

Kind of makes you wonder what was the DLC all about - overthrowing the SB (good reason), getting it on with Liara (good, but not necessary), or something else (can't think of a good reason).

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kyrieee

Destroyed? I would say the key takeaway is that it was preserved; not for Shepard, but Shepard for almost everyone else in the universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.