Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

The Mako is Back!!! :D

• 80 results
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#51 jeanluc  Staff

I didn't like the Mako but I loved the idea's behind the Mako. Sounds like Bioware is determined to get it right this time which is all I can ask for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I hope you guys are ready for the next Mass Effect game to be like SWTOR or Destiny, where it's a single player game that becomes a multiplayer game sometimes. They're going to announce the next Mass Effect game has online campaign co-op and everyone is going to flip their shit. I hope you're ready for the main plotline in the Mass Effect game to be as general and non-character specific as Destiny.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By The_Ruiner

I hope they have mutliple races available at character creation. I'd rather be a Drell or a Turian.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All you Mako haters are wack! Find those enemy emplacements and double zoom in on them and blast them to shit, rocket comes your way? Who gives a shit, you are in the Mako! JUMP OVER THE ROCKET.
    Activate those boosters on those jumps and you're falling with style! Shit may be steep but the Mako could climb up Mount Everest without even breaking a sweat. I'm talkin' about the Mako son!

And that one mission where you have to go find Liara for the first time, the game expects you to leave the Mako and walk through a tight opening in the rock, well with the Mako you just ram that opening over and over until you flip the Mako on its side and you drive through the opening and take on every single Geth fool with the killing machine known as the MAKO.

Don't hate the Mako, hate how badly you drive the Mako.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no.

Oh no.

@zolroyce said:

Oh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Clearly everyone has forgotten how terrible the Mako was. I hope the new one controls better.

Also I want to jump over missiles!

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Based on that video it looks like they fixed one of the bigger problems, which was that every hill was a jagged mountain that you could easily get stuck on and not pass. The other big problem i had with the Mako stuff was that every base you went to was a painfully obvious cookie cuter version of a hand full of rooms randomly slapped together. Since most games nowadays with randomly generated rooms and terrain are fairly decent at looking good and not to repetitive i think most of my major griefs with it can be fixed. And hopefully i can shoot a person that is 30 feet away or closer, because that was just stupid how you could barely aim down at all with the turret.

Im glad its making a return, because i really liked the idea about flying down and exploring a planet in the Mako in ME1, its just that the terrain was bad and the bases where repetitive. Which could and should have been fixed in the other games, not taken out and replaced with a shitty probe mini game that was even worse.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK YES THE MAKO IS BACK

MAKO IS LOVE

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@zolroyce said:

Absolutely this. No offense to any duders but I do question how much the mako haters were in control or learnt how to control the mako. I found it really responsive and it could maneuver precisely as I wanted.

I feel the same complaint can be leveled at GTAIV car handling also. People complained of the handling but really if you drove the car within its limits it handled really well.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By TheHT

@zolroyce said:

Yup. The Mako controlled great.

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/The+Mako.+The+tags+are+naked_151d03_4285934.gif

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: the Mako itself was fine, everything around it was terrible.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aww yeah

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

Absolutely this. No offense to any duders but I do question how much the mako haters were in control or learnt how to control the mako. I found it really responsive and it could maneuver precisely as I wanted.

I feel the same complaint can be leveled at GTAIV car handling also. People complained of the handling but really if you drove the car within its limits it handled really well.

People in Northern England love Reliant Robins and can somehow drive them as daily vehicles. That doesn't change that they're drastically less stable when turning than four-wheeled cars.

That it handled like a leather water satchel strapped to two M80s wasn't even the Mako's biggest issue: the levels designed around it were broad, uninteresting, repetitive stretches of nothing punctuated by moments of either brief-but-sheer frustration or intense matches of Bop-It to get +1 Turian Friendship Bracelet. Bioware has significant work ahead of them if they're planning to make levels using the Mako interesting and noteworthy rather than tedious and secondary.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jimipeppr

I'm currently re-playing Mass Effect and can confirm that the Mako is awesome.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@zolroyce said:

Yup. The Mako controlled great.

Bahahaha, that's fucking great.

I loved the Mako. It took a good while to get used to it but after that it was fine. I'd still prefer some Warthog controls, though.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I didnt have any issues with the Mako or the flying shuttle from ME2. It was everything that they asked you to do in the vehicles that made them play bad. I would rather have the exact Mako gameplay from ME1 over the scanning from ME2. Scanning is the reason why I will prolly never do a full run of all 3 games with a new character.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Shit.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, what if, and stay with me here, but what if it was a Mass Effect vehicle kart racer? The Mako, the Hammerhead, those other things. Think about it.

...I think they tried that in KOTOR.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I honestly never had a problem with the way the Mako controlled. I just thought the various planets you explored were absurd in how steep all the ridges were. It just wasn't believable terrain, to me.

Like, changes in elevation are one thing, but there were just so many weird spires like you'd see in the American southwest deserts (which require a specific number of factors, and even then are somewhat rare), or there were frequent just vertical cliff faces like everywhere that just geologically made little sense. It just felt really gamey the way they didn't want you to just be able to drive in any direction, and wanted to have you have to go around all of those dumb tiny mountain ranges that were on every single planet you ever explored.

So next time, don't tell the environment artists to just go fucking nuts on the elevation slider in the terrain editor. Or at least make up a dumb story reason where the Mako keeps landing in the most mountainous area possible on each planet.

More or less this, handling of the Mako itself was never the issue, it was the randomly generated and completely unrefined nature of the environments you had to roll around on.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mako 4 Life.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@andrewb said:

@snail: So all-terrain that it has thrusters to just fly over it. Just don't let the corner of a wheel touch anything that looks like lava, or it will instantly cease to function.

Yes yes (that's why I said fix it), but did you see the footage in the OP's video?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@snail: Actually I hadn't yet when I posted the comment, but it was entirely meant as a joke :P

I guess it's just easy to read as scathing with text alone.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I don't get the hate for Mako. It controlled fine. I miss how you felt small while making your way trough an alien landscape. Also it was nice that you could park Mako klicks away from the enemy base and just snipe the bastards from the safe distance.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mountain climbing cheeves or no buy

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By EXTomar
    @charlie_victor_bravo said:

I don't get the hate for Mako. It controlled fine. I miss how you felt small while making your way trough an alien landscape. Also it was nice that you could park Mako klicks away from the enemy base and just snipe the bastards from the safe distance.

It is easy to see why where Youtube is full of video of people having issues and and problems with the MAKO where some of it is their own doing while some of it is not. The basic issue is that those parts serve no purpose but to literally fill (or waste) the player's time. And there was conflict between the "environmental generator" and the way the handling worked where neither seem to mesh together.

So while it is great they want to bring this back, I still have to ask "What purpose does this have?" It turns out that this is a great analogy for the game on the whole because I would have to ask "What purpose does this new Mass Effect have?" If it turns out to be as empty or as vapid as "You get to drive around!" then I'll happily pass on it.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Zirilius

@extomar: YOu hit it on the head. It's great if it serves a purpose but absolutely terrible if if its a lifeless husk again.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since this game is years away I really wish they wouldn't talk about it. Come back with a trailer or an announcement of the setting or time frame.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

That's not the Mako. Why would they call it a Mako?

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimipeppr said:

I'm currently re-playing Mass Effect and can confirm that the Mako is awesome.

I'm currently replaying Mass Effect and can confirm that the Mako is absolute shit.

I just did all the Mako content over this past weekend. From the asinine physics to the ridiculous terrain it's a god damned disaster from top to bottom. BioWare is going to have to perform miracles to convince me that another Mako deserves to be anywhere near another Mass Effect game.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: You must not have jumped over any rockets. It's impressive that you did all of the Mako content in one weekend seeing as that would be almost the entire game.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess they showed a lot more of the next Mass Effect game at Bioware's panel at SDCC this past week. They also talked a lot about it too. It will be focused on exploring planets and to help with that they've announced that the Mako will make a return in a major way.

There's some early footage of the new Mako roaming a planet in this news bit from the Escapist.

http://youtu.be/MzueBbcXqRk

What do you guys think? I'm super excited myself! :)

I think the return of the Mako itself is a mild positive. But the idea that exploration might be returning with hopefully the tech and resources needed to actually make it interesting has me excited. I got into Mass Effect cause it was a weird hodgepodge of space operas and I thought the near complete abandonment of exploration was a major mark against the later games. I'm hoping the design philosophy finds itself in the level design as well. You have literal teleporters and cyber ninjas as class options...having to go down shooting galleries right into entrenched enemies with no options to bypass or change the parameters of the fighting seemed a bit weird.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.