Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 07, 2002

In this standalone expansion for MechWarrior 4, players create a mercenary unit, hire pilots, build up a lance of powerful BattleMechs, and take contracts from the highest bidder. You'll have to choose which side you fight for in the looming FedCom Civil War.

Anybody else grow up on Mechwarrior? Or just love the games?

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chuggsy

I grew up watching my dad play two series of games: Age of Empires, and MechWarrior 1-4. It always bums me out when people talk about Mech Assault, and have never even heard of the MechWarrior games. Customizing mechs, loading them with different weapons and war paint, using actual tactics. So awesome. I think it also helps that my dad won an awesome force feedback joystick when I was young. I can't imagine playing the game without one.

Well this turned into more of a blog post than I was planning. Anyway, who else absolutely LOVED the MechWarrior games?

And is anybody excited for Mechwarrior 5? I am, though I hope it's not dumbed down at all like Mech Assault was. 

Final note: Mad Cat Mk. II is the best.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I was aware of it, but I never really got into MechWarrior. And prepare to be bummed out because I loved Mech Assault. Part 2 sucked balls because they turned it into Grand Theft Mech, but I played the hell out of the first one, and yea the Mad Cat was my favorite too.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

There's a new MechWarrior game coming out? Whoah... 

Although i always found them to be...a bit unlikeable, controls wise. I've always liked everything else about them though. 
    Although, if you want those kinda games, i guess the Armored Core series could do it for you these days?
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Red12b

I played them, wasn't really good at it, There was this game, I can't remember it's name, but you were flying some sort of Stargate type wing thing, blowing up weird flying enemies in a Egypt setting, played that alot. 

AoE was where it was at though, awesome games, I just wish 3 was up to par.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chuggsy
    @Alex_Murphy said:
    " I was aware of it, but I never really got into MechWarrior. And prepare to be bummed out because I loved Mech Assault. Part 2 sucked balls because they turned it into Grand Theft Mech, but I played the hell out of the first one, and yea the Mad Cat was my favorite too. "
    I don't blame somebody for enjoying Mech Assault, the games were alright for what they were. It's just that they were nothing compared the Mechwarrior in my opinion, and they just changed everything so much for the worse. They took away
    Cockpit view
    Customizing weapons
    Customizing armor
    Warpaint
    Squad commands
    Choosing your own missions
    Black Market, buying mechs and weapons
    Heat sinks
    Choosing to add things like jumpjets, increase speed, anti-missile systems 

And Added....
     Tanks
    Running around as a dude.... great.

Anyway, yeah.  

@Shirogane said:
    " There's a new MechWarrior game coming out? Whoah...  Although i always found them to be...a bit unlikeable, controls wise. I've always liked everything else about them though. Although, if you want those kinda games, i guess the Armored Core series could do it for you these days? "

Did you play with a joystick? Because I've tried playing with a keyboard, and I couldn't stand the controls. May also depend what kind of joystick you were using.

Also, the game I played the most was Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, so the controls were maybe not good on the other games, I can't remember.
    Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chuggsy
    @Red12b said:
    "

I played them, wasn't really good at it, There was this game, I can't remember it's name, but you were flying some sort of Stargate type wing thing, blowing up weird flying enemies in a Egypt setting, played that alot. 

AoE was where it was at though, awesome games, I just wish 3 was up to par.

"
    Man, I was so disappointed by 3. AoE 2: The Conquerers still holds us for LAN parties with my dad and friends at his office. Though we haven't done it for a while due to uneven teams.... and nobobdy wants to play with my dad, all he does is play Teutons and create monks.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By vaiz

I sank hours upon hours playing Mechwarrior 2 when I was about twelve. I sucked at it, but I loved and continue to love mechwarrior.

Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Arzen

I spent a lot of time with Mechwarrior 2.  MW3 and MW4 were good, but didn't hook me like MW2 did.  Very excited about a new one.

@Shirogane said:

" i guess the Armored Core series could do it for you these days? "
    Not even close.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By breadfan

My uncle had some of the games when I was young. I'd always play around with the games and usually end up getting very confused.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Red12b
    @Chuggsy Said

Man, I was so disappointed by 3. AoE 2: The Conquerers still holds us for LAN parties with my dad and friends at his office. Though we haven't done it for a while due to uneven teams.... and nobobdy wants to play with my dad, all he does is play Teutons and create monks. 

Wololo :) 

I just installed it into my PC last week, Made a blog, Self promotion, (Yet again)  
    Damn thing does not like Vista, you have to Re-install it every time you want to play again... 

Can you play Multi on it still?    

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By vidiot

Played a bunch of MechWarrior 2 back in the day. Great stuff.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrGetBonus

My only Mechwarrior game was 3 and I had a lot of fun with it. Never tried 4 though. Speaking of which, what the fuck happened to MW4 coming out free? It was announced a few months ago and it seems it hasn't happened yet.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Relys

I bought this game when I was little, but I didn't play it much.

I still have the disks someware.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chuggsy
    @Red12b said:

" @Chuggsy Said

Wololo :)  I just installed it into my PC last week, Made a blog, Self promotion, (Yet again)  Damn thing does not like Vista, you have to Re-install it every time you want to play again...  Can you play Multi on it still?      "
    Last time we tried to get online multiplayer to work it turned into a huge hassle. I'm sure it's possible, just inconvenient. @MrGetBonus said:

" My only Mechwarrior game was 3 and I had a lot of fun with it. Never tried 4 though. Speaking of which, what the fuck happened to MW4 coming out free? It was announced a few months ago and it seems it hasn't happened yet. "

I never heard about that. That sounds awesome though, maybe it could convince people to try it out, since so many people seem to think it's some unapproachable battle sim or something.  At least in my experience. Still, you would need a joystick. Haha, wow, just looked it up and this joystick is like ours, except ours doesn't have the red plastic on it. 
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Force-Feedback-Joystick/dp/B00005NIMB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266302937&sr=8-2  Going for $100 used! Wow! Ours is the older version I guess, don't even see it on Amazon.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shirogane

Yeah, i played MW2, not the newer ones, which might have been better controls wise, and i used keyboard, it's not nice. 

I think i played 1 and a half levels of an Armored Core game before not wanting to touch it ever again, and returned it to my friend. Guess it wasn't just me if you felt that way too.
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By dtat

I loved Mechwarrior 4. I really liked the flight-sim style control. It was very complicated and hard to grasp (especially as a 13 year-old at the time), but somehow it was a lot of fun. If Mechwarrior 5 is like the old MW games, I'm sold! 

Has MW5 actually been announced? I haven't heard anything.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

I played a ton of MW4, with a joystick it was an awesome experience.
    Rolled with a Hauptmann, used to strap 3 20LBX's on that baby.
    Yeah really hoping that 5 sees the light of day and that it will not be dumbed down.

mariofreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mariofreak1

Mechwarrior 4 mercs is the best hands down. I have played every game and spin off, and mechwarrior 5 is in production right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.