Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

[spoiler] What were they thinking with the voice acting?

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By guanophobic

I'm lost for words here.

Is that accent real?
    Is that supposed to be a teenager?
    Why did they have to translate the subtitles?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just played through that, i think it's damn fucking brilliant.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

mudda skunt is becoming a part of my official vocabulary lol

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Go ninja go ninja go.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems pretty spot on when compared to George's dialogue in the game.

Example words and phrases[edit]

• a go do it - "I will do it"[2]
    • dem a waan sting yu waan bil - "they usually want to take money from you"[3]
    • evri de mi a ron a raisfil - "Every day I hurry to the ricefield"[4]
    • i bin get gon - "he had the gun"[5]
    • i wuda tek awi lil taim but awi bin go kom out seef - "it would have taken us a little time but we would have come out all right"[6]
    • mi a wok abak - "I'm working further inland"[7]
    • suurin - a form of courtship (from "suitoring," itself the result of adapting the noun "suitor" for use as a verb and then applying standard patterns to generate a gerund form)[8]
    Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's silly, that's for sure!

Made me laugh when he called Teenage Sunny "Hot fo' days!"

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Huh, I actually thought you were going to reference Raiden's ''Jack The Ripper'' voice. I thought George was hilarious, whereas Quinton Flynn's dumb Ripper voice was a bit toooo much.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Flappy

The execution is a bit shoddy (and doesn't match the person), but the vocabulary is accurate.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Just reminded of how they changed Mei Ling's voice from MGS1 in Twin Snakes and MGS4

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

they learn through trial and error

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee

@crithon: Wait, was Mei Ling's original voice performance considered offensive back then? I always thought it sucked that they removed the accents for both Ling and Nastasha in Twin Snakes. Then again the MGS series has always been a little inconsistent with their accents, like all of the Russians speaking with an American accent in MGS3, despite the complete opposite in MGS2. EDIT: Which is to say Russians speaking with Russian accents--and even some Russian--and not Americans speaking with Russian accents :P

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By doctordonkey

The voice acting is fine apart from two instances: Raiden jumping from normal, gravely and effeminate at complete random, and George's voice actor being complete garbage. The accent is actually not too far off, his VA just sucks, is all.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By csl316

@yummylee: OG Mei Ling's voice fit her perfectly. With all those Chinese proverbs, she seemed like someone rooted in tradition and I think she was born out there. I hope people weren't offended by something like that.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crithon

@yummylee: That's the thing, I don't believe anyone has come forward to explain the change in accents. Mei Lin's voice has been generally well recieved but then when MGS4 rolled around they did HEAVY AMOUNT OF RESEARCH, like a lot of those South American research is just dead on accurate. I just think they start learning on each game and then change it later down the line. Like how you mentioned MGS3's russian accents, like Sokolov and Grinin who both have slight accents compared to MGS2's voice work.

But yeah, the jungles of Russia in MGS3, and in the game, they mention they are over the Pakistan airspace. Compared to Peace Walker is also pretty well researched for it's setting. I don't know, I mean they are improving their work, because by MGS2, there was that drunken interview with Jeremy Blaustein to Pushtotalk who commentated about translating the game and he didn't seem to give a fuck, and he wasn't brought on board to translate MGS3. Plus you have Ryan Payton who was really open about the production of their games and talking about how very aware they are. So who knows, they are reconning things because they are researching them?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By MiniPato

@yummylee said:

Huh, I actually thought you were going to reference Raiden's ''Jack The Ripper'' voice. I thought George was hilarious, whereas Quinton Flynn's dumb Ripper voice was a bit toooo much.

God, Quinton Flynn's Jack the Ripper voice was over the top, even by MGS standards. Might be more cringe worthy than Young Ocelot's cat call in MGS3. I mean, I expect that kind of cheese from villains maybe, but not from the protagonists. That and it seemed heavily out of character. Interested in hearing how the Japanese version sounds.

As for Little Little Jacob (George), I didn't mind him that much. But I was worried that they were gonna shackle an eccentric child sidekick that would call you up on your codec constantly. In long exposures, I don't think I could've tolerated him.

Being Asian, I wasn't offended by Mei Ling's original voice at all. I actually prefer it to generic anime girl voice.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By emfromthesea

@yummylee said:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The voice acting for Raiden alone is almost always terrible, clearly sounds like someone putting on a voice as opposed to just sounding gravely.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's a Metal Gear game. Of course the voice acting is going to be terrible.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did they hire the writers of Star Wars to get the Jar Jar dialect just right?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's Guyanese Creole. The voice doesn't fit the character at all, but yeah, it's real.

@yummylee said:

I don't know, I loved it solely because it seemed like he's trying to out-Hayter David Hayter and it made total sense given the character's biography.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Whatever maaaaaaan. George is great. That accent is so goddamn amazing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ghostiet said:

It's Guyanese Creole. The voice doesn't fit the character at all, but yeah, it's real.

@yummylee said:

I don't know, I loved it solely because it seemed like he's trying to out-Hayter David Hayter and it made total sense given the character's biography.

I loved Raidens super corny voice trying to imitate David Hayters Snake. It was brilliant in how it was either too flat or too high pitched. His "WHAT?!" were really great.

On the other hand George was atrocious. I hate children in gaming, but this was just another level of obnoxiousness all together. Like I said in the other thread - the Jar Jar Binks of MGR.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

George kind of sounds like a 30 year old dude. I don't think you can call out the voice work when every single other thing about this game is fucking ridiculous.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yummylee

@jsnyder82 said:

It's a Metal Gear game. Of course the voice acting is going to be terrible.

I still remember the days when Metal Gear Solid was lauded for featuring what was some of the best voice acting you could find in a video game. I wouldn't call all MGS voice acting terrible, though... a lot of it is campy and melodramatic, but intentionally so. Cam Clarke as Liquid Snake I think still stands as one pretty damn great villainous performance, same with Patric Zimmerman's Ocelot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.