Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

How is this game patch free?

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thrillhouse87

Im thinking about just deleting the game from the hdd (and by doing so all the updadtes) so I can play the game offline without being penalized for it. But before doing so I was wondering if this game shipped with any major bugs or issues that might not make it worth it.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'll still be penalized by having less resources and staff, right? I started playing a month or so after it was released and didn't have any problems. I'm not sure if there was a patch prior to that.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By rethla

Its GOTY material without the patches but its even better with them.

Theres a few obscure gamebraking bugs that you probably wont run into but maybe should look into beforehand so you can avoid them. My recommendation is just play with the patches becouse this sounds crazy.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The patches are such a non-issue it's ridiculous how it's become such a big deal for people. I think most people finished playing the game, read the patch notes and assume it's the worst situation ever, when really they have made almost no difference and you don't have to engage with the microtransaction stuff if you don't want to. If anything the game is more enjoyable for me now than it was at launch. The challenges that were just added gave me around 6 million GMP, a ton of resources and 99 staff because I had completed a lot of them already, which allowed me to upgrade my base and develop a ton of stuff for free and I have never been invaded because I spent around 10 minutes previously setting up a decent FOB defense to deter people.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Slaegar

@49th said:

The patches are such a non-issue it's ridiculous how it's become such a big deal for people. I think most people finished playing the game, read the patch notes and assume it's the worst situation ever, when really they have made almost no difference and you don't have to engage with the microtransaction stuff if you don't want to. If anything the game is more enjoyable for me now than it was at launch. The challenges that were just added gave me around 6 million GMP, a ton of resources and 99 staff because I had completed a lot of them already, which allowed me to upgrade my base and develop a ton of stuff for free and I have never been invaded because I spent around 10 minutes previously setting up a decent FOB defense to deter people.

It took me forever to accept all the rewards from the challenges.

The latest update makes it way easier to understand how much GMP you have offline. It now has a separate counter for On hand GMP and FOB GMP so if you are worried about going into the red because the servers are offline or something (ick) you can make sure not to use all your offline money.

I have also been invades only once or twice which took 100k GMP from me. Which is not as much as it sounds at this point.

So my advice would be to just play it with all the patches.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there was a game file corrupting issue when the game came out so you should look out for that one

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By monetarydread

I found that the online is opt-in.... as in, when you invade an FOB for the first time it flips a switch that enables your FOB to be seen by others. So if you don't want to engage in FOB, just don't and you will be fine.

Also, playing in offline mode DOESN'T prevent the game from storing your resources in the FOB.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just don't put money or staff into your FOB til the post-game. And post-patch you now get rewarded for every little landmark you do. You get none of those rewards with vanilla Metal Gear.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: I have never invaded anyone and had a few people invade me last week. 90% of them failed with no help from me. It's really nothing to worry about.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't worry, if you're concerned about losing resources and staff, you can always buy FOB insurance! :V

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moab: Weird.... I wonder what it is then, cuz I have had the game since launch and never been invaded.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The game is waay easier and more forgiving with the latest patch. The risk of lossing some resources from time to time is nothing compared ro what you get in return.

When it comes to MGSV the internet has just started to collectively lose their minds because of allthe Kojima shit and the cut final chapter.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By NeverGameOver

I think all of the hostility toward the patches is ridiculous. They barely affect the game. And I think that a lot of the people who are criticizing this game probably haven't touched the game since they were released so they are greatly exaggerating their effect. It's true that MGSV has some major problems (the story...) but all of them have existed since launch.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#14  Edited By Jinoru

The game is better patched. Enough said.

The recent patched have enhanced the game immensely.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The game is waay easier and more forgiving with the latest patch. The risk of lossing some resources from time to time is nothing compared ro what you get in return.

When it comes to MGSV the internet has just started to collectively lose their minds because of allthe Kojima shit and the cut final chapter.

Cut final chapter? I basically fell off from playing this game for a while and I'm thinking of just jumping back in and I hear all this stuff since I played before.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Metalgiers sans Patchiers

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matatat said:
    @dragon_puncher said:

Cut final chapter? I basically fell off from playing this game for a while and I'm thinking of just jumping back in and I hear all this stuff since I played before.

Well its all a matter of perspective and noone really got the true perspective so its all speculations. Theres alot of stuff cut from the game but is it cut becouse Kojima got fired and Konami just released it as is or is it cut becouse thats exactly what Kojima and his team wanted?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There may have been a day one patch, i can't remember but the biggest bug i remember when i started was the fps dropping to single digits when editing your logo. The only thing that would worry me about the newer patches (and this could have been fixed by now i don't know) is losing resources when disconnected from the servers which were notoriously bad at launch. I also think the limit of the GMP (or whatever the free stuff is called) was a lot lower at launch and it expanded when the added the online resource thing. So regardless without online you lose access to a lot of extra resources and total crew amount, and without the patches i think that number is even lower.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.