Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Kojima ploy? Russian Head Transplant and MSG V Dr.

• 113 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Real life is as crazy as Metal Gear. I think it's time we all just gave up on sanity.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@csl316 said:

Is this another FOX Engine test? Like the office side-by-sides? I can't tell which picture is real!

Those side-by-sides are only tricky if it's a picture of a boring-ass office environment with ridiculously bright lighting. Otherwise you can still tell really easily. Like with the two pictures of the doctor, where one has natural light reflecting off of his skin while the bottom picture only makes sense if the doctor had just rubbed like a liter of Vaseline all over his head.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The writer of the TechTimes article is Rex Macadangdang. First of all awesome name, but maybe a hint at Metal Gear Rex? Ooooooh! Spooky!

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 0

I hope this is some dumb Kojima shit. I love this.

Guys, this is the last MGS ruse we're ever gonna get. This upcoming E3 we'll get the last bat-shit insane Kojima MGS trailer ever. Really makes me sad its all coming to an end.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

Co-incidence.

Also, this is not going to end well for the adventurous doctor or his patient. Granted, I am not a surgeon - I am merely a medical student. But even as a Medical student, I foresee a horrendous number of potential complications and issues with this surgery. For starters, leaving aside EVERYTHING else, this is new territory for humans. Yes, there have been Russian experiments in the past involving dogs, but this has never been done in a human, and I can tell you that the dogs did not experience a satisfactory outcome in the long term (they survived for a few days). Granted, technology has improved immeasurably, but this is still uncharted waters.

Now, of course, just because surgery hasn't been performed before isn't a reason to never do it - if we adopted that rule, we'd never innovate at all. But usually when someone ventures forth into hitherto untested surgical waters, they 1) Have a DAMN good reason for doing so, and 2) Are likely to achieve a satisfactory outcome. This doesn't appear to be the case this time. This surgeon is a maverick who, from the grape vine, isn't particularly skilled - he's probably decent, but he's certainly not world-famous (he certainly wasn't before this announcement). And the honest to goodness truth is that the patient 1) Unlikely to survive, 2) Even if they do survive, they may have horrendous complications and 3) Best case scenario they live but are attached to a useless, unmoving body that serves as little more than a life-support machine, given that I highly, highly, HIGHLY doubt he has the skill or the technology to attach a spinal cord to another spinal cord.

And you may ask the question: "Why not try this? What does the patient, who is dying, have to lose?"

Well, let's see:

1) The remainder of his life. He's dying. He is not Dead. If this surgical adventure takes place and progresses in the likely direction, then he won't be dying any more, true enough, but that's because he he'll be stone-cold dead. I don't know, and I cannot predict how much time this patient has left, but if he's being considered for surgery, that implies he has an adequate physiological reserve to survive the surgery (provided that this doctor isn't totally incompetent and/or unethical). If he was on Death's door literally, he wouldn't be a candidate. So he almost certainly has time left on the clock to lose. That's not nothing.

2) If by some miracle this surgeon manages to successfully carry out the transplant, the patient may be better of dead than alive. He'll almost certainly be put on a cardiopulmonary by-pass machine and they are notorious for causing brain damage (sometimes very severe brain damage). Now, Cardiopulmonary by-pass is important - sometimes we have no choice but to put a patient on it, but it's risky and patients can come off with significant neurological damage. He may live - but he may either never wake up, or wake up with bits of his brain infarcted. What's worse - to die in a few years, still largely yourself with your mind intact, or to live for a decade or two longer attached to an unmoving body, potentially with catastrophic brain damage, on powerful anti-rejection medication stuck in a hospital bed forever? I've seen outcomes for patients who have had catastrophic brain injuries and strokes and I can tell you that personally, I would rather the plug be pulled than to live in that sort of medicalized limbo.

This is, honestly, unethical. I have not met a single doctor or surgeon who thinks this is a good idea. I have no idea how he will manage to get a team assembled to help him carry this task out.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This being a weird MGS thing seems more reasonable to me than someone trying a head transplant, but what do I know.

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

It would be interesting to see when the first mention of this project was. It would help figure out whether the story inspired the developers and they modeled a character after the doctor as a nod to him and potentially worked some of the ideas into the plot OR whether the whole thing surfaced after the game was way into its development.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Teddie
    @korolev said:
    I can tell you that personally, I would rather the plug be pulled than to live in that sort of medicalized limbo.

I agree with a lot of your post, but this part is a bit hypocritical. You're trying to deny a man's own decision about his fate while saying that if you were in a permanent state of discomfort you'd rather choose death. What if he values his remaining life as much as you'd value living in that "medicalized limbo"? The situation just doesn't seem all that different to me, I guess.

I understand your point though. Unethical is definitely the right word for what's going on here.

@locorocker: Wikipedia says the doctor announced it in July 2013. Phantom Pain was teased, with the doctor character, in December 2012. This thing is absolutely just a coincidence.

thefozz26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By thefozz26

I saw the doctor do a TED talk about reconnecting the spinal cord. So its real. Sorry mate. Weird that he looks like the guy in MGS though.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Kojima wanted to create a (crazy) doctor character, then, as always, did way too much research and dug up this maniac before his actual rise to "fame" - is probably what happened.

Avatar image for thunderstorm101
    thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Check the original post for some extra goodies people have been digging up.

The photoshoot one is really weird. What Doctor even does a bloody photoshoot.

FOLLOW THE MONEY!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Oh god, that picture from that photo shoot he did. O_O

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced now that this is a guy that would do a cross promotional thing for a video game like MGSV. I think the guy is a real doctor, and I think he's going to attempt that head transplant (assuming they get the funding and everything), but he seems...odd. In a very Kojima like way. If you told me that shot from that photo shoot was a leaked image from MGS4 style FMV that is in MGSV, I would 100% believe you.

Also, glad I left my mark in the original post, haha. It should be noted, if it's not obvious, that the guy's Ted X logo wasn't animated, that was someone else who did that. But it still lines up perfectly.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By Cirdain

@thunderstorm101: There's some more stuff in the later part of the neo-gaf thread.

Loading Video...

This shit might be the most interesting "theory" I've ever read. The way they're finding evidence and connections is all understandable so it's easy to follow and get swept in unlike Valve ARGs.

thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: I've now added the original TedTalks logo to make it a bit clearer :)

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@thunderstorm101: Cool! I didn't realize until a little bit ago that just posting the animated gif might lead people to think he was using THAT to promote it, rather than the static image.

This whole thing is bizarre. Even if it really is coincidences, at least we had some fun.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

Has the head transplant story actually been picked up by any reputable science journals though? I've seen it in the science feeds in some newspapers, but very few if any newspaper actually hire science reporters anymore, so they could be tricked into publishing just about anything. Which happens, a lot.

I've found the entire story weird, since if we can remove and reattach heads, surely we could fix all kinds of paralyzed car crash victims, which I haven't heard any indications that it would be possible or getting closer to being done in recent years?

As has been stated previously, TedX and Ted Talks are a different thing, and TedX is pretty well known for letting anybody on, giving lots of scammers and pseudoscientists a platform to give the impression that they've held Ted Talks.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Cirdain

@thunderstorm101: @mooseymcman: I think everyone's just started to find The Phantom Pain's photogrammetry assets and then started connecting a nice little story to all of it. Photogrammetry:

Loading Video...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be okay with this if it meant Big Boss was once President of the United States. I'm more interested in the actual medical procedure. I mean, imagine the rejection process for an entire head.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Cirdain
    MankMachinery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't it be a body transplant?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Cirdain

@mankmachinery: yeah "Full body transplantation" but PR. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/full-body-transplantation-first-patient-support

The NeoGAF thread is starting to run out of coincidences. Hopefully things can be explained to the patient & doctor about why the doctor is getting loads of calls. Fun little conspiracy though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Either way Kojima is amazing for making people start to question EVERYTHING. My mother named me John, but.. she gave birth to me in a hospital called Heavens Door.. gate? Outer Heaven? Did Kojima birth me to play this game?!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

@cirdain: I guess it is believable then, I had only seen regular newspapers reporting on it.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrissedoff: Awesome. Meanwhile we can have another thread where people claim that they've found salvation because that pattern in their toast looks like Jesus Christ.

notasfarwest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This one is almost too much.
    The image on the left is the contents page for the surgeon's book on central pain syndrome.

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Danzig

Back to MGSV for just a second here - (this is all so fascinating)

Does this begin to suggest/confirm that after Big Boss was in a coma for all of those years his muscles were pretty much gone - so they took his head and put it on Ishmael's body?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danzig said:

Back to MGSV for just a second here - (this is all so fascinating)

Does this begin to suggest/confirm that after Big Boss was in a coma for all of those years his muscles were pretty much gone - so they took his head and put it on Ishmael's body?

I've never looked at it like that. That would go along with a lot people's theory that Ishmael (I assume he's that guy who helps Boss out of the hospital) only exists in Big Boss's head.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Cirdain

HA! This guy didn't read the thread properly and took all the information as fact. Also the public phone number in the thread is to their neurologist group's office. Not that guy's Cell. Gaf hasn't gone full creep just yet. The actor's face is Ian Moore /thread (but it kept going for some reason and it's HILARIOUS!)

This is Ian Moore not the Doctor. Everything that guy below knows is wrong... wait what?
    Loading Video...
    DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about this is hilarious/amazing. You MGS fans are total loons. :D

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about this is hilarious/amazing. You MGS fans are total loons. :D

If it weren't for those meddling MGS fans...

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before this procedure is carried out I think first we must test if a person's own head can be re-attached to their own body after they have been decapitated. Of course it would have to be carried out on someone who was very handsome to make sure the chances of success are high, and the decapitation would have to be carried out in such a way that the head never even leaves the neck. It's a surgical decapitation that doesn't move anything at all, we just need to see if all of the stuff will re-connect by the magic of the human healing mechanism. I cut my hand open once and now I can't even tell where it happened thanks to the magic of human regenerationalizationing.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very cool speculation

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this amounts to is people seeing relations that they want to see, not relations that are actually there. It's happened before with other Metal Gear teasers. Not to mention that whole "2" incident that turned out to be nothing.

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
    IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#92  Edited By IndeedCodyBrown

This is like spare change or some shit. Please this is real news in the real world.

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's so easy when talking about Metal Gear to spot the people who have and have not played the games - or do or do not have a full understanding of them even if they did.

thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

All this amounts to is people seeing relations that they want to see, not relations that are actually there. It's happened before with other Metal Gear teasers. Not to mention that whole "2" incident that turned out to be nothing.

Ahh but thats the fun part :) Most people always knew this would crash and burn but it was a lot of fun getting caught up in the whole thing and it didn't even matter what the conclusion was.

There are a lot of weirdness going on with the Head Transplant (MSG Removed), That guy could slip so easily into some crazy Kojima plot, thats what made it so great.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By kasaioni

Wait guys, this doctor and the doctor from MGSV also look like this guy! Dr. Madnar is Head-transplant-guy is Sigmund Freud! It's so obvious now!

No Caption Provided

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaytow said:
    @danzig said:

It's so easy when talking about Metal Gear to spot the people who have and have not played the games - or do or do not have a full understanding of them even if they did.

No one has a full understanding of the metal gear games, not even Kojima.

A better way of saying it would be - those who get it and those who don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-640902c98a1cd
    deactivated-640902c98a1cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, Gaf went nuts over this.

I know one of the mods and he said that thread should have been locked earlier.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@danzig said:

@jaytow said:
    @danzig said:

No one has a full understanding of the metal gear games, not even Kojima.

A better way of saying it would be - those who get it and those who don't.

I get it all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.