Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

PSA: MGSV **May** have leaked two weeks early.

• 50 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

Warning to everyone sensitive to spoilers. Some discussion broke out in the Metal Gear Community thread on NeoGAF and there are some images floating around of what looks like a extremely early copy of MGSV leaking in United Arab Emirates. To be clear there is no way of knowing 100% if this is real or not but that being said **YO WATCH OUT FOR SPOILERS** because if this is real you know a lot of jackasses are going to be posting them on the internet. So be careful if you're sensitive to that kind of thing!

Also here is the post in question on NeoGAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175544529&postcount=15320

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Well I guess it's time to avoid all MGSV discussion from now until launch. Thanks for the heads up.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Cirdain

Ok cheers for the warning. I was already black out on MGSV until reviews hit. But I'll take extra care now.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: Read further down in the thread. Lot of talk about it being fake but...even if THAT picture is fake it'll leak soon enough so probably a good idea to go into caution mode. :p

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It looks real and all but why is the case conveniently always slightly covered by something?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't even been watching the trailers but it's good to know I need to engage spoiler dodging mode prematurely.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Unlike a lot of other games, this is actually one I'd like to keep spoiler-free on. Time to hunker down and ignore any discussion about the game for a while I guess!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, I put my preorder down for it this morning so I'll be going off the grid (well, playing the other Metal Gear Solid's) in the meantime.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10 chaser324  Moderator

This is a top-secret black op. Don't expect any official support.

[ Just kidding, we'll totally try to delete any spoilers that pop up. Feel free to PM us if you see anything that needs immediate attention, but keep the spoilers in your PM itself to a minimum so us mods can also stay as spoiler-free as possible. :D ]

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: You mods are the best. I was about to abandon the internet completely when I heard the news; we are so close now, I'm walking on eggshells.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Perhaps there is a real simple answer to this but why do publishers ship games that early to countries that are known to consistently not comply to release dates? This isn't the first or even second or third time I'm reading that something leaked in the United Arab Emirates. Wouldn't they know by now to ship them copies later than other countries?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By csl316

Holy shit, MGS V is two weeks away. Almost.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: I KNOW. I took a week off of work for this. I'm so ready.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@mirado: Abandoning the internet for two weeks is still a viable strategy.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: In case there's problems with shipping? So that if it's delayed for whatever reason it can still get there on time.

I really don't know. My guess is they vastly prefer an early release over a late one.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mirado

@chaser324: I've got a bunker in the woods on standby; the minute there's even a whiff of "Big Boss is in MGS4" level of spoilers, I'm pounding the alarm and fucking off until the pre-load unlocks. I know too many people to chance it, just going to have to dump society all together. :D

Been waiting for this for three years. No one is pulling a Red Wedding spoiler moment on me.

Kiryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was bound to happen.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By golguin

@humanity said:

Perhaps there is a real simple answer to this but why do publishers ship games that early to countries that are known to consistently not comply to release dates? This isn't the first or even second or third time I'm reading that something leaked in the United Arab Emirates. Wouldn't they know by now to ship them copies later than other countries?

I'm fairly certain that there are some very rich people that live there that wouldn't want to get their games delayed and would probably want their games early. They'll get what they want. No store will tell them no.

EDIT: Super side thing, but wasn't there some article talking about a study that said people who complain about spoilers are whining or that spoilers had no impact on someone's enjoyment of a story? I don't remember where I read it, but I remember it sounded like something that was completely made up.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already stopped browsing 4chan, so I think I'm safe.

@csl316 said:

Holy shit, MGS V is two weeks away. Almost.

Even though it's releasing in Australia on the Wednesday (2nd), right in the middle of our uni week, my friend and I are already dedicated to the idea that he'll come over and we'll play through the opening hours together. It's been a long wait.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thanks for the heads up duder. Going radio-silent on MGSV until launch just in case.

We're 2 weeks and change away. I'm so pumped! Need go finish Ground Zero's and find all of those tapes.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@golguin said:
    @humanity said:

I'm fairly certain that there are some very rich people that live there that wouldn't want to get their games delayed and would probably want their games early. They'll get what they want. No store will tell them no.

EDIT: Super side thing, but wasn't there some article talking about a study that said people who complain about spoilers are whining or that spoilers had no impact on someone's enjoyment of a story? I don't remember where I read it, but I remember it sounded like something that was completely made up.

Yeah somebody posted a link to the on the off-topic forums a few months ago. I call bullshit on that "study". The whole point of playing the game in this case is to discover all of the crazy story bits and whatnot. Having that spoiled literally ruins the entire game. I guess someone could get into the argument of major spoilers vs. minor spoilers and how that affects the enjoyment of the story, but I would assume if some spoiled something significant that most people out there who care about this game would be really pissed off.

And about breaking street date.... Honestly I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't leaked out already. Usually with big releases like this the release date is usually more of a guideline than a hard rule. If this were Call of Duty or Fallout or something there'd probably be someone on Twitch streaming it by now hahahaha.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: I have doubts about that study. I really want there to be a moment in MGS5 where I am just sitting there with my controller, gob-smacked at whatever it was that I just witnessed.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really should pick up my MGS 3 playthrough again, i have several more MGS games to go through before i can play this and i already have the nVidia code for it.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGSV leaking in United Arab Emirates.

I guess there's a very strong German population over there if they're retailing that version.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there even anything to spoil about this game? It seems like it has no plot at all.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: Yes I'm sure that every single bit of the story is already out there and there is no way there could be more. The borg people and Psycho Mantis stuff are just window dressing for the open world fun and there will be no story.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snake kills dumbledore.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird how the actual receipt data and part of the case that would read "pre-order" are covered up.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's because it is fake. It's just a pre-order box mockup from a store. Also Russian on that laptop, so a Russian claiming a fake in the middle east. It's pretty damn MGS to do so and if it really had "leaked" (people keep using that word incorrectly and should stop) we would have seen pictures and videos, not to mention streams.

What does happen in the middle-east a horrible amount of times is that the moment a game comes in, it goes on sale. A week and a half, a week, days before release? It will most likely happen unless Konami arranges day -1 store deliveries which would be a good idea.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, well its been confirmed now.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hassun

@demoskinos: Batten down the hatches!

P.S.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp, looks like I'm going camping for a couple weeks. Maybe find some snakes to munch on.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kishinfoulux

@kishinfoulux: Yes I'm sure that every single bit of the story is already out there and there is no way there could be more. The borg people and Psycho Mantis stuff are just window dressing for the open world fun and there will be no story.

From what I've seen/played there isn't much to spoil. Big Boss doesn't even talk. >_>

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos:HIT THE DECK. Get into the spoiler bunkers!

@kishinfoulux: Is this something you got from other people telling you or from watching the trailers/gameplay? Because Big Boss does speak, many times, in the trailers. He even has conversations with other people! (See: DD cutscene, Quiet cutscene, E3 2014 trailer, E3 2015 trailer, Ground Zeroes).

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hwuh?

*looks at pictures*

... Just a box.

*walks away, gets neck snapped*

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By musubi

I really like the Kinda Funny crew but man I read this and just cringed. Just going to give spoiler trolls incredible amounts of ammo.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be doing the same on my twitch but only after day one. Mainly as a way of documenting my thoughts on the series and the people who made them. None of this spoiler bait nonsense.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chaser324  Moderator

It's cool that Konami is letting reviews run early, but you'd think they would've included some arbitrary limit on the amount of footage that can be shown to prevent people from doing full Let's Play runs before the game is even out.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been actively seeking "spoilers" and found nothing. Just some tiny things that sound cool but not what I'm looking for.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been actively seeking "spoilers" and found nothing. Just some tiny things that sound cool but not what I'm looking for.

There are full blown spoilers over at NeoGAF theres a spoiler thread people are from what I hear posting pictures and all containing spoilers. Can't say how bad the spoilers are since I didn't click on the thread.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z said:

There are full blown spoilers over at NeoGAF theres a spoiler thread people are from what I hear posting pictures and all containing spoilers. Can't say how bad the spoilers are since I didn't click on the thread.

Thats what Im talking about. I clicked on every spoiler tag I saw and didn't really see anything crazy or what I would even call spoilers.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shindig

@chaser324: At this point I think Konami's somewhere between 'hearts and minds' mode and 'fuck it'. Although they're also canvassing opinions on twitter for potential gaming collections. Y'know, like Capcom. So they're not running for the hills. We might finally get Sunset Riders for Game Room.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@demoskinos said:

I really like the Kinda Funny crew but man I read this and just cringed. Just going to give spoiler trolls incredible amounts of ammo.

I think in this instance I'd be totally fine with Konami DMCA'ing the fuck out of them. At least wait until the goddamn game is released, man.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

So, apparently that first announcement from Greg Miller was a bit misleading. They can only show up through the fifth mission, so you'll probably be mostly safe on that front. However, with the game in the wild, I'm sure some the spoilers will get out there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.