Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

When do I get the "true" ending?

SlantedRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey so I just finished episode 31 and saw the long credits roll, but I know the story continues. It was an amazing game, but at this point I just want to continue on to see the conclusion of the story. So how much more do I have to play? What episode do I get the actual true ending at? **PLEASE NO POST 31 SPOILERS** thanks!

InsaneEnergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mission 46 is the final story mission. Listen to all important tapes, complete all important side ops, upgrade your base and be certain to visit Mother Base often to get cutscenes.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

To add on what the other person said, at a certain point, you just need to do stuff to get the story stuff to trigger. Like, side ops. It's weird filler in a game that is already more than long enough.

Also, any mission in [brackets] is optional, and just a harder version of an existing one. The ones not in [brackets], however, you will need to complete.

Yes, it's weird, but some of the game's best moments (one of my all time favorites, across all games) are yet to come, so stick with it!

SlantedRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the little teaser the played for chapter 2 post credits got me pumped! Seemed almost like a whole games worth of story beats are still to come. That's exciting! Just one last thing the clarify.. So I know it goes up to mission 50, but you're saying that after 46 I will have gotten all the story I can possibly get. Correct?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

45 is an ending, 46 is the true ending, after that it's just more remixed missions (extreme, stealth, subsistence, etc.)

It's also weirdly possible to unlock 46 before 45 *shrugs*

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yellow missions. Yellow tapes. Max out Quiet. When things aren't progressing, do Side Ops until they happen.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When every nuke gets demolished.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Just do every yellow thing. Main missions, side ops, tapes. Sometimes there won't be anything new so just dick around and do some side ops for a while and eventually something will pop up.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@slantedroom: Correct. The first time you get a main mission, it will always have a yellow or blue dot next to it. Yellow advances/ends the story. You can do 45/46 in whatever order you like if you happen to get 46 first.

I never had to do anything that wasn't yellow I don't think but who knows based on some of the posts here. Just do missions I guess lol. Start with anything yellow. Tapes included. If you run out of yellow, had back to Mother Base. Often this triggers some event.

SlantedRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.