Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Inconsistencies with Big Boss? (spoilers)

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Do you think it's just Kojima not planning ahead and being inconsistent? Bug Boss in MGS4 has no scars at all. His face is completely clean. But Big Boss in MGS5 has a completely messed up face with a giant forehead scar that looks like his face was torn off, a giant eye scar and a giant piece of metal in his forehead.

Do you think there's going to be some sort of shenanigans going on in MGS5 that will explain everything? Or is it just Kojima never planning ahead and saying every MGS is his last. Or is the answer nanomachines?

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By conmulligan

Wasn't Big Boss's body rebuilt using spare parts from Liquid and Solidus? That might explain the lack of scarring. Or, you know, nanomachines. MGS is so fucking dumb.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Krullban

@conmulligan: If he was rebuilt why didn't they give him an eye? Solidus even had the opposite eye available.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

He took Solidus's skin as it was clean and had no scars. Big Boss only needs one eye

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He took Solidus's skin as it was clean and had no scars. Big Boss only needs one eye

Correction- he doesn't need eyes at all. He had one installed so that other people would have a thing to look at on his face when they're talking to him.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@twolines said:

@nightriff said:

Correction- he doesn't need eyes at all. He had one installed so that other people would have a thing to look at on his face when they're talking to him.

What do you think I'm stupid. If he doesn't have an eye, he can't see....and if he can't see then how can the Bosses's wishes be made? Metal Gear?

zokamoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

Do you think it's just Kojima not planning ahead and being inconsistent? Bug Boss in MGS4 has no scars at all. His face is completely clean. But Big Boss in MGS5 has a completely messed up face with a giant forehead scar that looks like his face was torn off, a giant eye scar and a giant piece of metal in his forehead.

Do you think there's going to be some sort of shenanigans going on in MGS5 that will explain everything? Or is it just Kojima never planning ahead and saying every MGS is his last. Or is the answer nanomachines?

LOL damn man all I can think of now is a giant cockroach with a beard smoking a cuban cigar.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

Wait, what do you mean? Big Boss shows up in MGS4? No he doesn't, Snake shoots himself in the graveyard and then it all ends! Right??? Yeah, yeah, that's what happened, yeah, definitely.

...Goddamnit MGS4 you suck so much.

zokamoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It's pretty easy to get rid of scars.

Nanomachines.

Sorry, I meant surgery.

You guys are aware of the concept of reconstructive surgery right..?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably just something they're retconning into Phantom Pain.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@yummylee said:

Wait, what do you mean? Big Boss shows up in MGS4? No he doesn't, Snake shoots himself in the graveyard and then it all ends! Right??? Yeah, yeah, that's what happened, yeah, definitely.

...Goddamnit MGS4 you are the best game.

Second best game in the series is MGS4.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I'd say that's really an inconsistency, considering the fact that he is being rebuilt buy his clones, some things you just take for granted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

shenanigans that will explain everything? nanomachines?

Nanomachines, son.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Kojima has stated in interviews that he's rewritten parts of the backstory because he thinks good game experiences are more important that continuity.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bribo

I don't know, has Metal Gear done time travel yet?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@yummylee said:

Best game in the series is MGS3

Indeed!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Yeah I'm as confused as you are about the whole Big Boss timeline. Still trying to figure out when Big Boss finds time to become the Governor on The Walking Dead. I'd assume because of the timeline of when the Walking Dead occurs it happens sometime during his frozen state. He must of gotten free sometime after Shadow Moses, did his Walking Dead thing and then got put on ice again after his last appearance in season 4.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@yummylee said:

@sethphotopoulos said:

@yummylee said:

...Goddamnit MGS4 you are a magical unicorn of funtertainment.

Third best game in the series is MGS3

Indeed!

I'm glad we're all in agreement here.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@yummylee said:

@sethphotopoulos said:

@yummylee said:

...Goddamnit MGS4 you are a magical unicorn of funtertainment.

Third best game in the series is MGS3

Indeed!

I'm glad we're all in agreement here.

I'm not gonna argue.

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big Boss also gets burned to death at one point.

Huge spoiler Big Boss in MGS4 isn't in his own body, but that of his perfect clone Solidius, as such the scars he has are on his corpse.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kasaioni

Not only was Big Boss rebuilt from Liquid and Solidus after MGS2 at some point, but Big Boss was also partially rebuilt after almost dying in Metal Gear 1. If you call your support team member, George Kasler, while fighting Big Boss in Metal Gear 2, Kasler will mention the Big Boss may have had cybernetic surgery since Solid Snake fought him at the end of Metal Gear 1.

"During Snake's fight with Big Boss, Kasler had doubts as to whether Snake could defeat the renowned mercenary leader, contributed to by rumors that Big Boss had undergone cybernetic surgery." http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/George_Kasler But it was apparently only a rumour, and a Snatcher reference. And it's not really that important.

Although MG1 and MG2 are the most likely candidates to be disregard and be ret-conned. But let's just say that Big Boss has trouble keeping up appearances post-Outer Heaven.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_ruiner: But none of the Metal Gear games, have good game play. Serviceable sure, but not good. The only reason anybody talks about the franchise, is because of its ridiculous story. If he doesn't care about the continuity, then the whole series is irrelevant.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@yummylee said:

It's the best ending in any video game ever, and you're just crazy.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

MGS4 wouldn't be half as good without that ending.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Let it go, my son... Or should I call you... brother?

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pcorb
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ungodly said:

@the_ruiner: But none of the Metal Gear games, have good game play. Serviceable sure, but not good. The only reason anybody talks about the franchise, is because of its ridiculous story. If he doesn't care about the continuity, then the whole series is irrelevant.

My favourite story in MGS is MGS 3, and it's not the Cobra Unit that stuck with me, no. It was the cold war story, the relationship between Big Boss and The Boss, the twists and turns of EVA and Ocelot and the story behind the creation of Metal Gear. I also LOVE the MGS gameplay. I really enjoyed the hunting systems, the stealth mechanics and the boss fights. Dude even the little cutscenes you get when you're digging out bullets and pouring ointment on your burns.

Just because you can't adapt your play style to fight the MGS series, doesn't automatically mean the gameplay is bad.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

shenanigans that will explain everything? nanomachines?

Nanomachines, son.

No Caption Provided

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@krullban: I'm not actually convinced yet that Big Boss is actually Big Boss. I'm not going to take ANYTHING about MGSV at face value. Kojima likes his trickery way to much and something is up with this game I can just feel it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@ungodly said:

I think the gameplay is excellent, I love the games for their story, and I don't care if the continuity isn't perfect.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

@mooseymcman said:

@yummylee said:

That ending was the most insane thing I've ever witnessed in a video game. That's saying some, even by MGS standards. Without that ending MGS4 wouldn't be half as good as it was. That last 40 minutes (seriously, 40 minutes AFTER the credits roll. How dumb is that?!) was incredible.

But on to the the topic - I'm pretty sure Kojima said in an interview last year that he is "willing to break canon to be able to tell the story he wants to tell" or something like that, so who the hell knows? I'm sure they'll come up with some crazy (bullshit) reason to explain it all anyway.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

@mooseymcman said:

@yummylee said:

That ending was the most insane thing I've ever witnessed in a video game. That's saying some, even by MGS standards. Without that ending MGS4 wouldn't be half as good as it was. That last 40 minutes (seriously, 40 minutes AFTER the credits roll. How dumb is that?!) was incredible.

But on to the the topic - I'm pretty sure Kojima said in an interview last year that he is "willing to break canon to be able to tell the story he wants to tell" or something like that, so who the hell knows? I'm sure they'll come up with some crazy (bullshit) reason to explain it all anyway.

I enjoyed the ending to MGS 3 much more, MGS4 was crazy, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the EVA reveal, and the revelation about The Boss. Tears wanted to stream, I didn't let them.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: I never had a problem playing the games, just steam rolled through them. No, my problem was seeing all these rad action scenes, then when I get to play the game it's punch, punch, kick or bang head shot. I always felt like I wasn't playing the same game I was watching.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

clone does explain that issue with big boss but there many more incontinences with metal gear series that i once tried create giant spider web of string and pictures and notes to try work out some of problems. but i ended up looking insane so took it all down and used excuse nano machines to fix all incontinences .

i do hope we get see more of snake at some point in future of metal gear games. i miss young pervert snake with his war wisdom and being shocked by everything good times.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@kasaioni said:

@mooseymcman said:

YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@yummylee said:

It can't end there, because then all the Rose stuff still happened. If we're gonna fix the ending we've just gotta let everyone die in Arsenal Gear... Maybe they did and it's all just crazed illusions like the end of MGS2. Nanomachines.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.