Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Story discussion (SPOILERS)

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Carryboy

Hey Duders,

So with metal gear scanlon I finally got round to playing through MGS4 and then peace walker and then ground zeroes and boy oh boy I had forgotten how much I love this series.

Anyways I have a question is there anything that is either not obvious or may be easily missed about the story of the series so far?

The reason I say this is I just found out that Sigint is in fact the Darpa Chief!

Anyone have any theories going into 5?

Who is your money of Skull face being?

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Whoa. That spoiler blew my mind, I had no idea.

I'd guess skull face is... ummmmm, errrrrr, otacon's dad. Why not.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Skull Face is a hologram, sent back in time by GW.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By donchipotle

I don't remember if it is ever explicitly stated in the games but

Ocelot's mom is The Boss. The Sorrow is his dad.

tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

All the weird stuff about Otacon and his sister and their family is really something. Can't remember the details and it's late but yeah look that up

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't remember if I heard this somewhere or if I'm just making this up but I think I remember hearing that Skull Face could be Colonel Volgin.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nux said:

I don't remember if I heard this somewhere or if I'm just making this up but I think I remember hearing that Skull Face could be Colonel Volgin.

I feel like that makes sense, but is kinda too normal for this series.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Carryboy

@tavistavistavis: I nearly fell of my chair when i read it.

Holy crap I did just fall of my chair!

@nux said:

That was my first thought, my initial thoughts were Volgin or Zero.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I don't remember if it is ever explicitly stated in the games but

Ocelot's mom is The Boss. The Sorrow is his dad.

99% sure they do say so in some Peace Walker tapes.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I want more backstory on Ocelot. It's implied in Snake Eater the he is the Boss's son but the series never elaborates on that. It also never goes into Big Boss's background much beyond just him being a disciple of the Boss.

I think MGS5 is going to lead right up to or possibly take place during the beginning phase of Outer Heaven.

The MGS 5 theories about it not being Big Boss but another Snake or Grey Fox are insane but I wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly what happens.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65: The Boss had twins removed from her, she still carries the scars. Ocelot was one of them, Eva is rumored to be the other. The Sorrow was the father. Ocelot was never told about the Boss being his mother, unless BB tells him in MGS5. I believe Eva knew, and that's why she and the Boss "hang out"(Eva mentions she talks with the Boss in several Codecs, they seem to get along...) during MGS 3.

rene20tx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rene20tx

@subliminalkitteh: The Boss recognized Eva from the philosophers school that she taught at. Eva went there to learn how to be a spy.

I don't remember anything about the Boss having twins.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I guess a lot of people may miss the lineage of the Johnny Sasaki family. Luckily, our wiki page will get you up to speed.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rene20tx: My bad, I was off a generation. Boss was Ocelot's mother, Eva was the "mother" of Solid and Liquid.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Para-Medic's real name was Dr Clark, the scientist in charge of the Les Enfants Terribles project and also one of the members of the Patriots. She was also the one who brought Gray Fox back to life, and then got killed by him before MGS1 took place.

@carryboy said:
    @nux said:

Nah, Skull Face is an unknown right now. It can't be Zero, unless the dude had crazy plastic surgery and skin grafts (and then re-scarred his face) to look like a normal old man again at the end of MGS4.

In MGS5 trailers there's a fiery dude, and a figure of that guy was recently shown with "Volgin" in the name. The figure had bullets between the fingers, and his outfit is very similar, so it's pretty much confirmed to be him at this point. According to some people it might just be young Psycho Mantis (also seen in earlier trailers) messing with Big Boss.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Para-Medic's real name was Dr Clark, the scientist in charge of the Les Enfants Terribles project and also one of the members of the Patriots. She was also the one who brought Gray Fox back to life, and then got killed by him before MGS1 took place.

@carryboy said:
    @nux said:

Nah, Skull Face is an unknown right now. It can't be Zero, unless the dude had crazy plastic surgery and skin grafts (and then re-scarred his face) to look like a normal old man again at the end of MGS4.

In MGS5 trailers there's a fiery dude, and a figure of that guy was recently shown with "Volgin" in the name. The figure had bullets between the fingers, and his outfit is very similar, so it's pretty much confirmed to be him at this point. According to some people it might just be young Psycho Mantis (also seen in earlier trailers) messing with Big Boss.

It also doesn't make sense for Skullface to be Zero since in Ground Zeroes you learn that Skullface tortures Paz for the location of Zero. Why is he putting on this facade?

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

All these connections just make the story and the MG world sound way worse.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to play PW and GZ before September...

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: I would recommend just reading or watching peace walker if you don't want to play what is largely an arcade grindy game. And ground zeroes is only like 50 minutes so that should be easy

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

@nightriff: I would recommend just reading or watching peace walker if you don't want to play what is largely an arcade grindy game. And ground zeroes is only like 50 minutes so that should be easy

I would argue you don't need to bother with Ground Zeroes either, storywise at least, considering how Phantom Pain will start.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomstranger: Yeah I guess. Wouldn't surprise me if phantom pain had the ending cut scene of ground zeroes in it anyway. The tapes are good to listen to as well to get some story about skullface

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thepullquotes

I love all the stuff like how

MGS3

Para Medic is the Dr Clark that Naomi/Jaeger kills, due to the experimenting on him

Sigint is Darpa Chief

Ocelot is the Son of The Boss and The Sorrow

It's implied that The End's parrot is the same species/related to Emma's

Granin had sent Huey's dad/Hal's Grandad some designs

SHALASHASKA

MGS PW

Huey!

Galves' arm

BB deciding on Outer Heaven, explaining it in reasonable terms

That goddamn horse.

Opening the lorry and finding some gears made of metal

Strangelove might be Otacon's mum.

MGS5

Eli is clearly liquid

Eli is to Liquid as Solid is to David

David/Eliab some biblical thing about two brothers, which directly correlates with Liquid's story

Is Ocelot going to be called Ocelot/Shalashaska or Adamska. I just want an ocelot game.

ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban: Eh maybe not worth having to listen to a certain Chico tape for some people.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomstranger: @dudeglove: @krullban: This is probably one of 3 series that I want to play every game rather than watch. I looked into watching PW last year but decided not too and since I'm currently playing through all the games (currently on 4) before TPP comes out, I will probably play PW (following a guide to mainly just get the story) and eek out whatever I can get from GZ. Thanks for the advice and maybe I'll elect to watch a Let's Play if I get side tracked by other games and running out of time as September approaches.

ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: I'd just like to reiterate that you might want to skip one of the Chico tapes. It's the 4th one. Trust me.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomstranger: that's like saying you should skip parts of movies because it's too scary or violent. And that's dumb.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys I think MGS might have a bad story.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NTM

Yeah, going back and playing MGS you can find out important things that you either forgot about, or totally missed the past times you played it, like the Darpa Chief thing (he's the one lying in the cell dead, not the one you get to talk to, as that's Decoy Octopus). Also, I'm pretty sure Skull Face is a new character, if you listen to his dialogue in Ground Zeroes, but if I had a hunch as to who he was and I didn't think he was new, I would have thought he might have been Hot Coldman, just by looks really, nothing else.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys I think MGS might have a bad story.

You meant best story.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

@carryboy said:
    @nux said:

It also doesn't make sense for Skullface to be Zero since in Ground Zeroes you learn that Skullface tortures Paz for the location of Zero. Why is he putting on this facade?

yeah your right, Volgin seems the most likely however I saw someone else on the internet has a theory that it is Ocelot with a mask on which would be bananas.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a side note, is GZ worth playing? I've already seen the story bits on YouTube so this would be more or less for the gameplay.

Also, I just beat Snake Eater again yesterday and I kind of feel that by them making all of the characters interconnected that it kind of made the story/universe a little worse and contrived.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy said:

@probablytuna said:
    @teddie said:

@carryboy said:
    @nux said:

yeah your right, Volgin seems the most likely however I saw someone else on the internet has a theory that it is Ocelot with a mask on which would be bananas.

Again, makes no sense for it to be Volgin or Ocelot. The former has no grudge against Zero (that we know of) since they don't ever interact in Snake Eater. Ocelot is on Big Boss' side and does want to bring down Zero, but why destroy MSF? Both of them make no sense. While the series has a propensity to retcon characters (Anderson = SIGINT, Dr. Clark = Para-Medic), I don't believe this is the case for Skullface. I want to think that the villain for a new MGS is an entirely new character. As for the Volgin Demon thing from the Phantom Pain trailers, I'm willing to bet it's just a hallucination from Big Boss' head or an illusion by the supposed young Psycho Mantis.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By hollitz

Whoa. That spoiler blew my mind, I had no idea.

I'd guess skull face is... ummmmm, errrrrr, otacon's dad. Why not.

Not a chance, my dude. Huey is Hal's dad and he's at the MSF base preparing for a UN inspection when Skullface is doing his dark business.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nasher27

@probablytuna: I don't really see how the example you gave is retconning. Granted I've only experienced MGS1 via metal gear scanlon (and that was several months ago), but I don't remember it going into the DARPA chief's background, or even bringing up Dr. Clark for that matter.

I thought all the complaints people had about retconning mainly had to do with the ending of 4. I also haven't seen that ending in years so I could be wrong again. I recently played through most of 4 (playing on hard, was having a great time until the beginning of act V and just quit), I don't remember any terrible retconning through what I played. I thought all of the integration of MGS3 into the larger story was fairly well done.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By probablytuna

@nasher27: I remember Dr. Clark was originally meant to be a man. Donald Anderson was never given much of a background, so it was a perfect opportunity to turn him into an older SIGINT. I suppose it's not really retconning, but I highly doubt that Kojima had known or planned Anderson to be SIGINT nor Dr. Clark be Para-Medic until Snake Eater.

Edit: Anderson's background.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy said:

@probablytuna said:
    @teddie said:

@carryboy said:
    @nux said:

Again, makes no sense for it to be Volgin or Ocelot. The former has no grudge against Zero (that we know of) since they don't ever interact in Snake Eater. Ocelot is on Big Boss' side and does want to bring down Zero, but why destroy MSF? Both of them make no sense. While the series has a propensity to retcon characters (Anderson = SIGINT, Dr. Clark = Para-Medic), I don't believe this is the case for Skullface. I want to think that the villain for a new MGS is an entirely new character. As for the Volgin Demon thing from the Phantom Pain trailers, I'm willing to bet it's just a hallucination from Big Boss' head or an illusion by the supposed young Psycho Mantis.

Wouldn't Volgin be pissed that Zero took his money?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy: Assuming he is still alive, how did he even come across this information? The US government wanted the Legacy, that's all he knew in Snake Eater. Half of it went to the CIA and Ocelot kept the other half then he and Zero took CIA's half after Portable Ops.

Not to mention Volgin and Skullface don't share any physical resemblance. Volgin is a big imposing man, easily dwarfing Ocelot who is by and large a regular sized person. Skull Face, on the other hand, is clearly not a hulking brute like Volgin.

ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hollitz: Thank you for the heads up about my guess that skullface is otacon's dad. Swing and a miss by me. I guess skullface must be the fury brought back from his explosive fire death!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.