Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 27, 2000

Originally titled Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Metal Gear Solid is a Game Boy Color spinoff of the popular stealth action game, Metal Gear Solid.

Metal Gear Solid: It begins

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Edited By sagesebas

So I recently picked up MGS 3, I put about 2 hours into and I said to myself, you know what I want to play this whole series, so I put a pause on that game, and picked up Metal Gear Solid. I know, I know late to the party, never picked up the game when It came out as I was too young to make purchasing decisions for myself, and never got around to it before this, so far it's really great. What really prompted me to make this blog though is how the game has creeped it's way into my brain, earlier today I was siting down at Safeway and a cash register opened, and immediately I came to attention, it made the same sound as the alert sound from the game. 

So I decided to document my way through the series, it may take awhile but hopefully it will culminate in me beating Metal Gear Solid 4. I'd like to take this opportunity to invite you into my journey, if your at all interested let me know.   

No Caption Provided
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sagesebas

So I recently picked up MGS 3, I put about 2 hours into and I said to myself, you know what I want to play this whole series, so I put a pause on that game, and picked up Metal Gear Solid. I know, I know late to the party, never picked up the game when It came out as I was too young to make purchasing decisions for myself, and never got around to it before this, so far it's really great. What really prompted me to make this blog though is how the game has creeped it's way into my brain, earlier today I was siting down at Safeway and a cash register opened, and immediately I came to attention, it made the same sound as the alert sound from the game. 

So I decided to document my way through the series, it may take awhile but hopefully it will culminate in me beating Metal Gear Solid 4. I'd like to take this opportunity to invite you into my journey, if your at all interested let me know.   

No Caption Provided
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Baillie

Glad to hear, it's a shame by the time you get to MGS4 you'll realise that the previous titles were far, far superior.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sagesebas
    @Baillie: i've heard the fourth one is good, even though quite a bit different.
    JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoRoNimo
    @Baillie: Awww, I LOVED Metal Gear Solid 4. :( 

@sagesebas: The games are fantastic, as long as you don't get too caught up in the story. It's confusing and convoluted, yes, but it's really fun. Take your mind off of "real" mode, and it'll all be a great experience.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Before you ask, the codec frequency you're looking for is 140.15.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaneDev

I played MGS 1 a while ago for the first time in ages and it was much easier and shorter than I remembered it to be.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

I love the stories of these games, particularly the 2nd and 3rd. The story in the first is pretty dull, and the 4th is a little too out there, but not really bad. I just don't find there's mich gameplay to them, but they're great to play over and over again

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sagesebas
    @SuperfluousMoniker: haha thanks, i came across to that before I got to that part thankfully. I did however miss the thermal goggles. Also I read that during the psycho mantis boss fight he asks you to plug the controller into port two? I'm playing it on my psp will that be at all a problem?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

MGS2 > MGS >>>>> MGS4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MGS3, search your feelings, you know it to be true. Or will, once you've played them all.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sagesebas

thanks for the replies I look forward to this game alot

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kylenalepa

You mentioned that you were going to be playing MGS on your PSP. If you can track it down, it may be worth giving the remake on Gamecube a shot instead. I really dug it.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @sagesebas said: Don't listen to him.  It's pretty good.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Baillie

Yeah, MGS4 is good, but as good as MGS1/2/3? I don't think so. 3 has the best story, best characters and best gameplay I think. MGS2 is great, but isn't as good as 3. MGS1 is amazing. First time playing it blew me away. Love it. 

MGS4 wasn't as good as the previous 3. 

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sagesebas
    @kylenalepa: I may do that after I finish the series, seeing as I don't have a gamecube and have yet to get a ps3 too. MGS4 is a big draw for me in getting the ps3 instead of the xbox 360.
    lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By lego_my_eggo

if there is no way to change the controller port on the psp you can shoot the statues. and the metal gear games are good at giving hints with a codec call if you ever get stuck.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sagesebas
    @Lego_My_Eggo: If i can't is it a big deal 

EDIT nevermind I checked and you can
    wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wfolse1
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " MGS2 > MGS >>>>> MGS4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MGS3, search your feelings, you know it to be true. Or will, once you've played them all. "
    You're almost there except you've got it totally backwards...
    orusaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By orusaka

Okay, so many things to address.

1. First off, let's address the proper relation between the games quality-wise. It should be: MGS > MGS3 > MGS4 > MGS2. I am, of course, leaving out the two original games here, since no-one else seems to have ever played them. Which leads me to my second item.

2. MGS is not the first game in the series. In fact there are two earlier canonical games for the MSX system; Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2.  The previous operations screen in MGS will fill you in on the details of those games if you choose not to play them, but if you're looking to complete them in order, that's where you start.

Finally, some musings. I can't really explain Metal Gear. It's the game series that meant the most to me growing up. After completing MGS4, I went and got a tattoo of the fox hound logo (the old one) on my arm. Yet, the games really aren't that great. I don't think I could truly recommend that anyone try to get into the series at this point. They would simply be too late to the party. The games just aren't very good by modern standards, and have a lot of quite broken gameplay mechanics. That said, the worst part is I've grown to realize the writing is kind of awful, too. I mean, as a 12 year old, MGS was the greatest and coolest game I had ever seen, which is why it is to this day my favourite game. However, the 24 year old me realizes it's really quite poorly written and not much fun to play any longer either.

I wish you the best of luck on your project, anyhow.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sagesebas
    @Orusaka: I knew about the two metal gear games before that, seeing as they would be next to impossible for me to track them down, I chose not to include them for that reason. Although I have gone back and read multiple synopsis on both games. And so far I haven't had too much trouble with the game play sure it's antiquated in certain spots, and in other spots it seemed really ahead of it's time. 

and to be honest I am pretty used to playing older games, I went through FFVII recently again with no problem and have never graduated onto this next generation on consoles. 
    orusaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By orusaka
    @sagesebas:

Oh, you'll probably do just fine. I was more getting at the fact that you probably missed a very important part of the experience by not growing up with the series. (or following it as an adult)

As for the two first games, they're actually really easy to play if you don't mind emulators. There are fantastic MSX emulators available, and the games are not hard to come by.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Gabriel
    @Orusaka said:
    "

Okay, so many things to address.

1. First off, let's address the proper relation between the games quality-wise. It should be: MGS > MGS3 > MGS4 > MGS2. I am, of course, leaving out the two original games here, since no-one else seems to have ever played them. Which leads me to my second item.

2. MGS is not the first game in the series. In fact there are two earlier canonical games for the MSX system; Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2.  The previous operations screen in MGS will fill you in on the details of those games if you choose not to play them, but if you're looking to complete them in order, that's where you start.

Finally, some musings. I can't really explain Metal Gear. It's the game series that meant the most to me growing up. After completing MGS4, I went and got a tattoo of the fox hound logo (the old one) on my arm. Yet, the games really aren't that great. I don't think I could truly recommend that anyone try to get into the series at this point. They would simply be too late to the party. The games just aren't very good by modern standards, and have a lot of quite broken gameplay mechanics. That said, the worst part is I've grown to realize the writing is kind of awful, too. I mean, as a 12 year old, MGS was the greatest and coolest game I had ever seen, which is why it is to this day my favourite game. However, the 24 year old me realizes it's really quite poorly written and not much fun to play any longer either.

I wish you the best of luck on your project, anyhow.

"
    Yeah MGS was something special I doubt we'll see a series like it for a long time if ever again.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sagesebas

So far the boss fights are incredible. 

orusaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By orusaka

Yeah, the boss fights always were special, some of them at least. Man, you've really made me want to attempt the same project. I haven't done it since mgs4. If only the PC versions of myself and mgs2 worked properly. I just can't see myself hooking up my ps2 again. As for the first one I guess I could locate my discs and set up an emulator.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By harinosho
    @Baillie said:
    " Yeah, MGS4 is good, but as good as MGS1/2/3? I don't think so. 3 has the best story, best characters and best gameplay I think. MGS2 is great, but isn't as good as 3. MGS1 is amazing. First time playing it blew me away. Love it.  MGS4 wasn't as good as the previous 3.  "
    i agree with this guy completely.  

too add. why did they take out cqc. i know snake said he wouldn't use it due to his issues with big boss . still. it was great in mgs3
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Baillie
    @harinosho: Big Boss was better than snake anyway. Snake probably can't do CQC. noob.
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By zero_

Same sentiment shared here - 4, while great, is no where near as good as 1's Hollywood action vibe, 2's post-modernism wtf-is-going-on madness or 3's emotional story. Still, even with a weak conclusion, the series I think ranks among one of the most unique in history - so yeah, you're doing yourself a great deed by getting into this series. Play the games in order from MGS1 right through to 4, and you'll have a blast. My personal favourite is 3...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.