Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear

Franchise »

Tactical, Espionage, Action. A revered and long-running series directed by Hideo Kojima.

People think this is a Metal Gear Rising 2 teaser.

• 56 results
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

During a PS4 game montage shown at the Taipei Game Show, a "2" was quickly flashed on the screen in the style of MGS: Rising. Many are convinced this means a Rising 2 is coming. I'm not sure, but I remember Kojima tweeting pics of a meeting with Kamiya and others from Platinum, so they obviously still want to work together.

Here's the video and the "2" is at 1:39.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Wasn't there an Easter egg in GZ that was basically a shitty jab at Revengeance?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@jack_lafayette: No...?

I created the wiki page for MGR2 early this morning, looking forward to it!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm there.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

If they can put some more work into it, mainly better environments and refine the counter system to work better with the camera then I'm also there.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I WANT IT ALL INSIDE OF ME.

And yes, I think that really is a teaser for MGR2. Not just the font, but the lens flare has been a big MGR and GZ/TPP thing lately. Not to mention Kojima saying that he'd like there to be another one, and visiting the studio...Yeah, I think it might be time.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Looks like same font, yeah.

Revengeance 2: Revengeancer would be great. Game was a ton of fun.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Great! The first was one of the best games of 2013, would love to play more. Hope they'll have the same group handling the soundtrack again, too!

Mainwaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying not to get too excited until I see it in action, what with being burned by Metal Gear teases in the past! Still, a Revengeance 2 would be great.

Kind of. Might have been thinking of the thing where if you look at the Metal Gear Rising logo during an Extra Op mission and call Miller, he'll say things like "METAL GEAR... something something" and "I don't think I remember that one", although I believe he says similar things in response to any other non-Kojima Productions logo.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

Um... should we really be doing that? I mean, have we gotten confirmation that this really is a teaser for Metal Gear Rising 2?

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#11  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@xue said:

I'm trying not to get too excited until I see it in action, what with being burned by Metal Gear teases in the past! Still, a Revengeance 2 would be great.

Kind of. Might have been thinking of the thing where if you look at the Metal Gear Rising logo during an Extra Op mission and call Miller, he'll say things like "METAL GEAR... something something" and "I don't think I remember that one", although I believe he says similar things in response to any other non-Kojima Productions logo.

Yeah, that's the same thing he says for all of the non-Kojima Metal Gear logos. Ground Zeroes also has an entire mission where you play as Revengeance Raiden, swaps out the music with music from Revengeance, and makes a bunch of references/jokes about Revengeance, so I don't know why people get hung up on that one little thing with the logo.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Watch as it turn out to be a Too Human sequel! 2Human!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Great! The first was one of the best games of 2013, would love to play more. Hope they'll have the same group handling the soundtrack again, too!

Fuck that! I want ninja soap opera Metal Gear melodrama with music by Hans Zimmer (who's just doing his shit from The Rock). Lean hard into that shit.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kasaioni

@flstyle: There's a trial in the Deja Vu/Jamias Vu missions where you have to shine the light of a special gun at all the Metal Gear logos strewn through-out the level. The games that Kojima directed will have their logos erased by the light, the games that he did not direct will not. Additionally, if you look at the logos and press the codec button, Kaz will give some interesting facts about the game; but if you look at non-Kojima-directed games and do this, Kaz will instead say "I don't think I remember that one" , "Metal Gear....what?" etc. And if you try to shine the light on them:

Loading Video...

But it's not just Rising, he says the same stuff for Portable Ops, Metal Gear Touch, Ghost Babel; basically all the spin-off Metal Gears. But the MSX games, 1-4, and Peace Walker are apparently the "true" games.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

@flstyle: There's a trial in the Deja Vu/Jamias Vu missions where you have to shine the light of a special gun at all the Metal Gear logos strewn through-out the level. The games that Kojima directed will have their logos erased by the light, the games that he did not direct will not. Additionally, if you look at the logos and press the codec button, Kaz will give some interesting facts about the game; but if you look at non-Kojima-directed games and do this, Kaz will instead say "I don't think I remember that one" , "Metal Gear....what?" etc. And if you try to shine the light on them:

Loading Video...

Hmmm I suppose shitty jab depends on how you take it, seemed pretty comedic to me.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@kasaioni: Yeah, this is what I meant. Without knowing a ton about the production of the spin-off games, I can't really tell if this is a sincere comment on Kojima's part. It just seemed a little questionable.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

Loading Video...

Hmmm I suppose shitty jab depends on how you take it, seemed pretty comedic to me.

@snail said:
    @flstyle said:

Um... should we really be doing that? I mean, have we gotten confirmation that this really is a teaser for Metal Gear Rising 2?

Not official no, either way it'll simply get deleted if it's deemed to be not suitable.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@flstyle: In the future please wait for an actual announcement before creating new game pages. We have pages for games that exist, not for games that might exist. Thanks.

Jagged85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I still need to play the first MGR...

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Okie dokie, no problem.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagged85 said:

i still need to play MGS...

Jagged85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@jagged85 said:

You definitely need to play MGS...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Meh, sure, fine. I would much rather Platinum (and I guess some part of Konami?) spend their time and money on just about anything else because even though I liked Revengeace, I wasn't exactly clamoring for a sequel, but whatever. I would still probably play it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm pretty confident it means Rising 2 is happening, and I'm VERY excited for it. Can't wait to see what the subtitle is.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By csl316

An MGR game with Platinum on board from the beginning is an incredibly exciting prospect. Ever since I finished Rising, I saw flashes of its full potential. It was a cool game, sure, but you could tell that it wasn't a true Platinum game. Vanquish and Bayonetta were at maximum climax pretty often, but Revengeance had a slower pace, limited enemy design, and fairly bland environments. Even the combat design didn't seem fully developed and polished. They came on board late and seemed to be hamstrung by what came before.

The first half hour of Metal Gear Rising is a god damn thrill ride. Then it slows down considerably and never really hits that peak again. I expect another game to be that peak through its whole duration.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kasaioni

I want them to do more with it than just make it crazier. Metal Gear games usually do more than just "well it's Snake again, on another mission I guess". I want them to make the story more interesting, and the gameplay more deep. I want to have a reason to cut an enemy more than once just to get the spine. I want to know what's going on with Rose and Jack's son. It has to be more than just a bunch of weird boss's for you to slaughter.

I guess since all antagonists from Revengeance are dead they can start new and actually get me to care about what's happening in the story....boy do I miss the premise of the original Rising.

I don't want this to be the Far Cry 4 of MGR, there needs to be more substantial changes.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@jagged85 said:

@ripelivejam said:

@jagged85 said:

You definitely need to play MGS...

He definitely needs to play MGR...

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For as much as you can tell that Platinum didn't have as much time to whip it into shape as much as they would have liked, MGR is a fucking fantastic game that gets better as you get better at it.

Since the game ends with Raiden apparently parting ways with Maverick, hopefully that means Boris, Doktor, Kevin and Courtney don't make an appearance. Oh and keep George the hell away from it, unless this time you let me be in control of cutting him in half. Awful, awful characters. All the good characters in that game were killed by Raiden :(

But another Rising with Platinum at the helm from the get-go sounds like something I would throw money and then many hours of my life at.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have yet to see a good theory that explains that 2 outside of it being a tease for MGR2. So I'm going to hope it's a tease for MGR2.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

It better be happening, I didn't spend 30+ minutes filling out that survey for nothing.

I still need to play the DLC on my Steam version.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#33  Edited By SubwayD

I don't usually go for the hyperbolic gamer rage thing...

but if this is MGR 2 and that logo in the upper right means it's PS4 exclusive, I swear that people will die by my hands. >:(

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've been saying that a sequel that executed on the potential of the first game could be one of the best games ever. Though I didn't actually think they would make one. Here's hoping I've got a sense for this stuff. ~

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so. Kojima said Rising wasn't canon; why would he continue with it?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:
    @kasaioni said:

Loading Video...

Nah. If you play those missions in Ground Zeroes Miller only says that on the logos from games that are non-canonical.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a survey came out a while back asking folks what they wanted out of a rising 2, not to mention kojima always says he wanted to do another rising game.

what im curious about if this is a bayonetta 2 scenario, where sony's fronting the bill on this to make it happen. guess we'ill know soon enough.

Onion-Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only beat MGS 3, 4, GZ and revengence. Loved all of them, looking forward to phantom pain and this. Just need to tighten up on the countering, last boss fight always pissed me off halfway through it. (Watching metal gear scanlon so I can at least know the rest of the games)

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kasaioni

@flstyle: Sort of, It's canonical in the same sense that Portable Ops is canonical. Kojima is more ready to retcon or entirely disregard stuff from games he did not direct.

Also.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FLStyle
    @kasaioni said:

@flstyle: Sort of, It's canonical in the same sense that Portable Ops is canonical. Kojima is more ready to retcon or entirely disregard stuff from games he did not direct.

Also.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Haven't you learnt your lesson from previous Geoff Keighley/ KojiPro intereractions?

No Caption Provided

If you believe Rising is not fully 100% canon then you've got a lot to do. It's an accepted fact on all main websites including Wikipedia.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Sure, there's nothing keeping Portable Ops from being 100% canon either. But nothing that happens in those games matters to the overall saga, so it's negligible. Actually PO has stuff in it the matters more than anything Rising. But this isn't so much Rising's fault as it is MGS4's for tying everything up, so that everything that happens after MGS4 doesn't matter.

I bet Platinum Games is actually working on the concept of the sequel, but I bet that 2 isn't actually related. A split second on an SCE both stream at the Taipei game show, great place to tease a highly anticipated game.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: Wrapping up Metal Gear Solid is not the same as wrapping up Metal Gear.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@kasaioni said:

@flstyle: Sure, there's nothing keeping Portable Ops from being 100% canon either. But nothing that happens in those games matters to the overall saga, so it's negligible. Actually PO has stuff in it the matters more than anything Rising. But this isn't so much Rising's fault as it is MGS4's for tying everything up, so that everything that happens after MGS4 doesn't matter.

I bet Platinum Games is actually working on the concept of the sequel, but I bet that 2 isn't actually related. A split second on an SCE both stream at the Taipei game show, great place to tease a highly anticipated game.

Rising 2 is going to be about Raiden's cyborg body growing and growing and getting bigger and faster until he becomes Metal Gear Raiden and someone has to rise up and take him down.

But Metal Gear Raiden becomes too strong and is practically unbeatable. After causing the downfall of mankind itself, Otacon builds a time machine and does the only thing he can: Go back in time and recruit heroes and villains past and present to go to the future and take down Metal Gear Raiden . But all goes wrong when Volgin comes back and sees an almost mirror image of his former lover Raikov. Turning the tides of battle in the villains favor, Otacon and the Snake's must work together as they go... Metal Gear Rising 2: Lightning Days Back To The 2Past 2Future.

And people are still going to argue if it's canon or not despite being super fucking cool.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kasaioni

@flstyle: I still think MGS4 wraps up everything in that regard, even if it doesn't cover all the minor details. I didn't leave MGS4 like I left MGS2 wondering what would happen next, it just spells it out for you. I don't want to keep this thread active since this whole incident is apparent untrue anyways, but here's a video about Kojima discussing the canon of MGR at the beginning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6OGvhlKNzw

@n7: There's no question about games that Kojima directed being canon or not. Also that is super fucking dumb.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: There's a game coming out called the Technomancer, being made by the Bound by Flame guys. MGR is going to have to step up it's game in the stupid title department.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni:
    My point is that Metal Gear is a universe, not a set of events from the Metal Gear Solid series to be wrapped up and call it a day.

@n7: I'd play that!

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Watch as it turn out to be a Too Human sequel! 2Human!

Now that's a game I would be excited for.

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could just be another current gen re-release to make up for the lack of games on the PS4.

I wouldn't mind, never got around to playing Rising.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.