Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear

Franchise »

Tactical, Espionage, Action. A revered and long-running series directed by Hideo Kojima.

Series Question - Mostly about Sony Platforms

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Hey Bombers,

Obligatory Background Paragraph: I've always been a MG/MGS fan from afar, but having grown up as a PC/Nintendo person and later moving on to XBox, my actual playtime with the series was limited. I really only played part of MG1 on NES, part of MGS1 on PS1, and all of MGS2 on original XBox. I was excited to pick up the HD Collection for 360 back for X-Mas 2011, but due to some time issues I'm only now getting to play it. I'm currently going through MGS3 and loving it, so I wanted to invest a little bit and play the rest of the series. I plan on playing MGS3 and PW via the HD collection. If I have time I'll go back to MGS2 (played it ad nauseum on XBox) and MG1 and MG2. Order of play isn't that big of an issue for me as being as much of a fan of the series as I could without playing much of it, I am very familiar with the story and characters. So, as has always been my MO, I'm planning on picking up the previous sony console, hopefully on the real cheap this black Friday after the PS4 is released. With that, I'll be able to run through MGS 4.

Now on to the questions, pardon my Sony ignorance:

-As I understand it, there are 8 games released for the main chronology: MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, Portable Ops, MGS4, and PW. Is that correct?

-PS3s are still backwards compatible with PS1 right? I know they took out PS2 compatibility... Is MGS1 available to download on PSN for PS3? Is the emulation OK or do I need to dig out my MGS1 disc and PS1 or PS2 from storage?

-The only whole then would be Portable Ops. Is there a PSN version for PS3? There is 0 chance that I would also buy a Vita/PSP. Is there any other way to play it? Is it worth the time/effort/$ as a game to reconsider and actually get it?

Thanks!

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By emfromthesea

- Yes

- Yes, PS1 games are playable on all PS3 systems. Yes, MGS1 is available on the PSN store and it's a completely competent version.

- Portable Ops is only available on the PSP/PSVita. I suppose you could read the wiki for the plot, or download the MGS database on PSN if you so desire.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can answer your question on MGS1 running fine on PS3. You can buy it right of the PSN no issues. Obviously it isn't an HD upgrade, but who cares. Im kinda sentimental with how that game looks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.