Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Name that Uruk!

• 56 results
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Karkarov

Okay we gotta have a thread to share all our interesting discoveries in this nemesis system.... namely... our Uruk Captain discoveries! Specifically when we run into one with a hilarious name or personality, or maybe one that is just a total badass. Personally I just had to laugh when I rain into this dude, sadly he didn't survive too long as he killed an Uruk I was grooming for warchief so I had to get revenge... But he was lol worthy regardless.

So I will start us off with this guy, Horhog Troll Born... he sure looks like his name too ;p

No Caption Provided

I would have gone with one called Kuga the Tongue who always entered the scene by doing this sort of perverted hip thrust/sway dance and always called me "my pretty" while promising to "take care of me better than any other Uruk" while staring at me with his lazy eye (not kidding) but I forgot to screenshot him.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't have a screenshot at the moment, but this guy named Glub the Red(Berserker Type) has killed me 4 times so far and it's really pissing me off that I can't kill him.

He is also covered head to toe in red paint. or blood. not sure.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Basm321

@viciousbearmauling: I had blankety blank the assassin kill me 4 or 5 times and it was aggravating, but so very worth it for te feeling I got when I finally killed him

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

I had Plumkrish the Watcher who was immune to everything but combat finishers and had double flaming axes. He killed me like 7 times and when I finally got him it was great, but then he came back to life for the final mission...

Murgatroyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Murgatroyd
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Top is Tarz Scar-Artist, who has given me a fair bit of trouble. We've had 5 or 6 fights so far, he's kind of mad that I keep setting him on fire. I don't think the bottom guy is afraid of fire.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@murgatroyd: Hey! I've run into Tarz Scar-Artist too! Although his face isn't all wrapped up like yours (then again I only fought him once). I just head shotted him while surrounded by orcs because he was vulnerable to ranged attacks :D

Murgatroyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: It's interesting how the game handles some of the injury stuff, honestly he was completely unremarkable until the third or fourth fight. After he nailed me twice with poisoned javelins his only immunity was fire, I think he brought it on himself.

Headshotting captains is great though, I've been doing that on vendetta missions a bunch (mostly on accident, but it still looks phenomenal).

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I had a guy named Dharg The War-Bringer, was a crossbow guy who had this really creepy laugh. He never spoke. He just laughed and screamed. I bet he killed me 5 or 6 times because he was only really vulnerable to stealth but was always surrounded by followers. I finally killed him last night by ambushing his recruitment drive and shooting him a few times. Then the guys he was trying to recruit ganged up on him and massacred him and his crew. God, I hope he doesn't come back.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoshgrish can eat a fat one, the smug bastard.

(i thought i killed you :'( )

CannedBread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CannedBread

@murgatroyd: If you think the headshots are great, you should use the shadow strike kill on a vulnerable to ranged captain. It's proof that video games are art.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By frankxiv

Zog the Strong

This name has haunted me since I first started the game. The absolute first enemy I encountered, I had just unlocked the "death from above" style stealth kill and wanted to try it out, so I fire it off and... IMMUNE TO STEALTH. The first enemy I attacked outside of the tutorial happens to be a captain named Zog the Strong.

We fight a bit, but he gets the upper hand, and since he likes to humiliate, he won't finish me off himself. Instead he leaves me to fight the mass of other orc dudes he's called in, and one finishes me off finally. This guy gets promoted, Bolg the Brute, but they're also both ambusher types.

Now any time I tried to start a fight with any other dudes, BOTH of them would ambush me, and a situation like this would occur (note Zog on the lower left there)

No Caption Provided

So finally, I kill Bolg and Zog and escape with my life. Two captains in the first tier down, feeling pretty good about myself, I decide to go after another I'd gained intel on. He's an archer who is weak to stealth, so I figure it will be easy and head over to where he's supposed to be.

Except on the way I get ambushed... alone... by Zog the fucking Strong. Back from the dead, acting like it's still the second time we ever met, Zog seems hell bent on killing me, except not, because he won't ever finish me off himself. He has some new tricks I couldn't deal with, namely picking me up and throwing me to the ground for ALL OF MY HEALTH, and then laughing at me and walking away.

So that's round 3, my loss. Only now Zog is alive again somehow, and I was on my way to kill this other guy, who i am still nearby, I figure might as well finish this other guy off. I do, and on the way back GUESS WHO AMBUSHES ME. Only this time, I know to dodge his throw, so he goes down again. Round 4 is in the books and I've got another shiny rune with Zog's name on it, that's that.

Until it's not. Eventually Zog showed up AGAIN when I was fighting completely random nobody orcs, this time I won on the first try, by throwing him into a campfire and then executing him. I should mention, this entire time, no one has replaced Zog on the roster, he's been sitting on the first tier of captains this whole time in the same spot.

Unrelated to Zog, I died inside a stronghold to a random orc, who then got promoted, and instead of filling Zog's place, ZOG CAME BACK TO LIFE AGAIN, and not only did he go from lying dead to standing right back up, he decided he was tired of the first tier, and executed captains I hadn't even met yet to fill a spot on the 3rd tier.

Zog was now at 20 Power, with the rest of my roster, even in the same tier as him, hovering between 3 and 9. Clearly, I had to stop him, so I set him as my current target, and by god look at this setup he's got going on here.

No Caption Provided

I am like 3 missions into the story and Zog is absurd, I'm pretty sure he could be the Black Hand of Sauron at this point if he wanted to. Anyway, apparently Zog was staging an execution, and this was my chance to take him out... again. So I headed over thre, and through some miracle, manage to kill him without a Caragor, his one and only fear.

No Caption Provided

So Zog is dead... for now, but I can't help but feel like he's going to come back again at any moment, when i least expect it. I'm only glad that Zog won't actually kill me, so that none of my friends will have to face him in their vendetta missions. I'm not sure if Zog is a bug, or if he is truly taking the nemesis system seriously, but either way, it's made for a really memorable, if slightly frustrating experience.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@onimonkii: Great story, didn't even know half those things could happen/how they worked. Zog will return.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Corevi

@onimonkii: He won't come back. Decapitated captains can't be revived. Any captains that aren't decapitated will come back eventually though.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Horhog's got a real sassy smirk going on.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    Zog the Gorger
    Zog the Gorger

I'm honestly too terrified to go after him. This game does a wonderful job in creating genuinely intimidating enemies through design and dialogue. I went up against one captain who just started maniacally breathing heavily as he looked at me rather than saying anything at all and it was incredibly disconcerting.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike

This guy has been giving me a ton of problems. For some reason he only seems to show up when I'm already knee deep in fighting other captains...I think he has killed me at least four times now.

Also, Steam client screenshots are garbage! Ugh.

Mozû the Drowned
    Mozû the Drowned

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Under 'In-game" settings in Steam you can set it to produce uncompressed shots now. They look, well, uncompressed!

VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By VIGGO123

Pâsh the Funny One

F*ck that guy!!

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the main missions, and he has killed me three times already.

No Caption Provided

He never leaves the stronghold and is always surrounded by a bunch of lesser orcs. Can't use ranged and can't stealth him, and the wall of enemies makes it hard to get close. Plus, he shoots flaming, EXPLODING! arrows. So I die in like 3-4 shots.

No Caption Provided

Seriously, FUCK that guy!

Also, I think I found my favorite orc-name in my last session. Haven't fought him yet, but I'm really curious about his personality.

No Caption Provided

Brodysseus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Brodysseus
    No Caption Provided

So most of the Uruk's I've seen actually were pretty intimidating, but then I met this guy.

maxB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a fellow named Uruk the Smasher who came back half a dozen time, his face would get more and more fucked up and eventually he just covered his face by tying a bag to it. I grew fond of him, it was kinda sad when I lopped his head off. He even had a pet name for me, MAN SWINE.

Great game

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By jimipeppr

I wish I could share a video of the moment when the camera dramatically zoomed in on a captain and the orc horde shouted his name, "Dûsh!"

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono
    No Caption Provided

This is probably the coolest Uruk design I've run across. This guy rolled up on me while I was triumphantly riding my caragor into the sunset after exploiting a warchief's fear of them. He thought he was hot shit, but I jumped off my steed and stabbed him in the shoulder, then stunned him and beat on him with a flurry. While he was on the ground I executed him, sending his head with that super rad helmet flying from those cool plumed shoulders.

Too bad, really, he would have been a cool adversary!

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if you guys are running into this, but I've literally run into Tarz the Red like back to back. I would kill him, maybe fast travel to a tower, and then run to a nearby objective, and he would show up. And then I would kill him again, like jump down a cliff, fight another captain, and then he would somehow walk in and ambush me again. It seemed kind of ridiculous and kind of broke the immersion for a bit while I said outloud to my monitor "didn't I JUST kill you once 4 minutes ago and then another time like 10 minutes ago?!".

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Corevi

@lanechanger: Sauron can revive Captains that you don't decapitate. You'll notice that they become more and more scarred and their eyes will be a ghostly blue.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Oh I know about that, they even have a little model where it's their head on a spike once you've beheaded them. I'm just wondering if anyone has run into the same boss seemingly back to back within minutes as well. It was a little jarring.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By KarlPilkington
    No Caption Provided

I hated Hot-Head with a passion. He is dead now.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: Goldglove had the same guy come back like 4 times in a row within an hour, pretty amusing stuff (and he did keep increasing in power which is even more silly).

Smiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving this game so much right now. I've never played a game where I actually care (to an alarming degree) about my enemies. I hope to see more of the Nemesis system in the future.

I made a video of an encounter I had with a captain named Dush (with a funny umlaute over the "U" so it actually sounds like douche).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSzs_XAq3Yw

Hope you guys enjoy my experience with Dush. May he RIP. o7

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mike
    universalize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#30  Edited By universalize

@smiles: lol Dush Brawler's humor was great "why'd you av to kill em?"

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Karkarov

@lanechanger: Goldglove had the same guy come back like 4 times in a row within an hour, pretty amusing stuff (and he did keep increasing in power which is even more silly).

Funny you guys say this. How do you think the Uruk's feel about you :P? They don't even get the satisfaction of seeing you come back all scarred and messed up.

In other news I just met the greatest Warchief who will ever live. Name says it all.

No Caption Provided
    Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lanechanger

@karkarov: METAL BEARD!!! That's awesome!

I just ran into this guy!

*checks his title* Oh he doesn't sound so bad!

*checks his motive* Oh... maybe the title only applies to his peers...

No Caption Provided

Alright to be fair, when I engaged him at his feast his line was "Why do you haunt me? I mean you no harm!" I have yet to meet a captain who sings though, really want to run into one of those.

Also, pretty happy with my uruk army, I would hate to be the guy replacing this guy:

No Caption Provided

Smiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Smiles

@universalize: Haha. I actually caught that after I published the video. I also realized Dush the dreamer is not the same Uruk as Dush Brawler. The voice threw me off but the face is where I realized my mistake. When Dush Brawler comes back ...

Thanks for the view too!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By glots

I've run into so many captains by this point, that I'm starting to forget all their names (there really should be some statistics in the game for all of this), but I can concur on the fact that it can be incredibly satisfying to finally kill off an Uruk who has been pestering you for so long.

Though I did take this screenshot of a particulary fancy looking captain, who I've only identified so far.

No Caption Provided

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By archer88

No screen-cap, but my favourite so far is Dush the Dumb. He isn't terribly difficult, but he has awesome dialogue.

"I just killed someone who looks like you....a lot like you....exactly like you. HEY! IT WAS YOU!"

"Stop talking! Lets kill each other!"

(His speech to his followers during a feast) "Food. Drink. Food. Drink. Food AND drink!"

"I'm going to....your face will....my blood, er, your blood....DIE!"

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archer88: I think I had Dush the Dumb as well. One of his lines was, "If you don't kill me...I"ll be alive...then we will both be alive!"

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By Nezza
    No Caption Provided

Maimug Head-Chopper, the 'legendary captain' here was the most gigantic pain in the arse going.

Literally the only thing that could hurt him was a ranged shot, and even that did minuscule damage. You needed two full power head shots to notice his meter move at all.

You net near him, he grabs and poisons. He isn't damaged by normal hits, or by executions etc. Oh, and if he hits you he gains energy back .

I eventually beat him by emptying my ammo supply using head shots, sprinting off to an elf-shot resupply whilst occasionally hitting him so he'd follow me. Repeat this another four times and on the fourth be desperately searching for arrows whilst trying to stop him from fleeing.

By the time he went down I had half the orcs and beasts in Mordor running after us.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nezza: He'll probably come back, and will keep doing so until you finish him with a Lethal Shadow Strike.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By Jedted

This one i found really funny and also but also creepy.

No Caption Provided

He doesn't say anything just sort of licks his lips and grinds his teeth at you. Somewhat intimidating but i cut his head off immediately after meeting him.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ravelle

@jedted said:

This one i found really funny and also but also creepy.

No Caption Provided

He doesn't say anything just sort of licks his lips and grinds his teeth at you. Somewhat intimidating but i cut his head off immediately after meeting him.

No Caption Provided

I also had a Uruk called Black-Thorn, he was a legendary captain I had some beef with, took him out by dive shanking him.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mike

Turns out Graug riding is a hell of a satisfying way to take out Captains. This was a Vengeance mission from a Giant Bomb user but I can't be sure who it was because of the different Steam name.

Man, I wish 60 fps videos were supported on YouTube already, this looks like garbage once it's been compressed and had the frame rate halved. Oh well.

Loading Video...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Corevi

@mb: You can get around it by manually putting it at half speed before you upload it and then enabling speed changing on the video to allow you to play it at 2x, resulting in a normal 60 fps video.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Yeah I know about the workaround, but it takes time to render and then you have to rely on people actually switching the speed.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: NICE! I love his line right before he becomes desert :p.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

Turns out Graug riding is a hell of a satisfying way to take out Captains. This was a Vengeance mission from a Giant Bomb user but I can't be sure who it was because of the different Steam name.

Man, I wish 60 fps videos were supported on YouTube already, this looks like garbage once it's been compressed and had the frame rate halved. Oh well.

Loading Video...

Supporting 4K but not 60 fps seems really silly to me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle: Right...or allowing 2x speed playback of 30 fps videos, but not 1x at 60 fps.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By Jedted
    Power level 20
    Power level 20

This guy became a real thorn in my side. He would show up occasionally when i was going after another captain.

He ain't pretty no more.
    He ain't pretty no more.

Finally managed to burn him with an exploding grog barrel destroy that dumb crown of his. He was pretty pissed next time i saw him but now he works for ME.

pimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By pimo
    No Caption Provided

Killed a captain, advanced the time and then this guy appeared. And here i thought that the uruk never surrended...

stingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No screen shot, but my favorite and closest battle so far with with Tugog the Guardian.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By butano
    The dude spoke in grunts, maniacal laughs, and screams. Everyone could understand him. He was like the Kenny of Mordor.
    The dude spoke in grunts, maniacal laughs, and screams. Everyone could understand him. He was like the Kenny of Mordor.

So of course I had to make him my new warchief. The level of dumb just wasn't high enough.
    So of course I had to make him my new warchief. The level of dumb just wasn't high enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.