Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mighty No. 9

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 21, 2016

An action-platformer headed by Mega Man co-creator Keiji Inafune, and crowdfunded via Kickstarter. It is heavily inspired by Inafune's Mega Man franchise.

Mighty No. 9 Faces Third Major Delay, Release Slips to Spring

• 128 results
    BDKMat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We've seen how this story ends. Can we skip to the part where they sell the IP to Gearbox and let them shovel it out?

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really seems like, in an effort to get more money, they increased the scope beyond what they were capable to deliver.

As a backer, I've long since lost emotional interest in this game. At this point I'm pretty apathetic.

verysexypotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@corvak: This is the best, most informative comment on here. You really should email into the podcast with this parallel.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@kerse said:

Is multiplayer a major component? Why not pull a GTA V and release the multiplayer stuff later. I can't imagine people are coming to this for multiplayer.

Typically, Japanese game development is a release all-at-once or don't release-at-all mentality.

Funny you mention that what with SFV's story mode getting released as free DLC!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@yummylee said:
    @ruthloose said:
    @kerse said:

Is multiplayer a major component? Why not pull a GTA V and release the multiplayer stuff later. I can't imagine people are coming to this for multiplayer.

Typically, Japanese game development is a release all-at-once or don't release-at-all mentality.

Funny you mention that what with SFV's story mode getting released as free DLC!

MGSV also had the same thing happen with its competitive multiplayer.

DS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More like Mighty No. Nein

Mighty No. 9 Forever

etc.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@tdot said:

I'd feel sorry for the backers but these are the same people who almost drove the community manager to suicide.

Yes, every single backer in unison was responsible for that, totally.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

As a backer I would not be sad if this didn't come out, because it looks like hot garbage.

Hope they get their shit together and makes good for all the people that still wants this.

landhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mighty No. Nine More Weeks.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@julmust said:

As a backer I would not be sad if this didn't come out, because it looks like hot garbage.

Hope they get their shit together and makes good for all the people that still wants this.

To me, ''MN9 got delayed again'' is way less of a story than ''who fucking cares, it looks like a bad game anyway''. From the moment they showed the ugly 3D graphics I knew this thing was heading in a terrible direction.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

Backing anything is always a risk. While I get wanting to play the thing you put money towards, part of me feels like it's childish to get frustrated or angry (especially threateningly so) when something you backed is delayed or altered. Patience folks. I'm sure they're a lot more frustrated about the delays than you are.

JamesMorrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, didn't back this one but man I feel sorry for those who did.

P.S. How is matchmaking going to work in a game like this?

KogX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that this game will be good but it looks like it will be a disaster. Unlike something like Star Citizen which at least looks like it have pretty ships this game's art style looks pretty meh imo.

I also remember all the other kickstarter projects it had as well, i wonder what is going on with those.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@verysexypotato said:

As a big backer of numerous KS projects (though not this one specifically) can people explain to be why delays are taken as such a slight against their supporters? Delays happen and aren't usually an indicator of a project's quality either way.

There are a lot of other issues surrounding the delays for MN9 that make them a bit more concerning than most game delays, crowdfunded or otherwise. This is also one of the bigger KS projects out there ($3.8 million, 67k backers), so any bumps in the road are going to get a lot of attention.

I commented about it above, but I think the big concerns for me and a lot of other people didn't start to really develop until Comcept launched the Red Ash campaign on Kickstarter. At the start of that campaign, Inafune straight up said that development on MN9 was done. Then, towards of the end of the Red Ash campaign, there were a ton of rumors about a MN9 delay going around with many retailers verifying the information, but Comcept denied all of the rumors until a few days after the Red Ash campaign concluded.

I backed neither project, but I always took that as Comcept being done with it, since they're basically just pitching the idea and working on the concept with inti creates doing the actual heavy lifting on the development. It's not like Inafune ever wrote a single line of code for the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It seems like the most entertaining Kickstarted games are the ones that keep it simple.

Lord_Anime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Glad I choose not to back. Which was shear luck for my decision and the outcome of this game. This company's activities have just not been honest. Will the game be any good? Will anyone ever back this company again? I'd love to know the inside scoop of why things are so far off track.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#118 chaser324  Moderator

@amafi: I'm sure their creative team probably was ready to move on to a new project, but the problem I had with it was more the way they managed the Red Ash campaign and the messaging around it. Specifically, informing retailers of a MN9 delay in the middle of the Red Ash campaign and denying all rumors surrounding it when addressing backers until after the Red Ash campaign concluded really stuck out to me as a bit of a sleazy thing to do.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@amafi: I'm sure their creative team probably was ready to move on to a new project, but the problem I had with it was more the way they managed the Red Ash campaign and the messaging around it. Specifically, informing retailers of a MN9 delay in the middle of the Red Ash campaign and denying all rumors surrounding it when addressing backers until after the Red Ash campaign concluded really stuck out to me as a bit of a sleazy thing to do.

Oh yeah, that was super sketchy.

melodiousj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only kickstarter I ever backed was Bloodstained, so I don't really have a stake in this game, but honestly, no amount of bad PR has actually deterred my desire to play this as soon as I can get my hands on it.

melodiousj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok said:

It seems like the most entertaining Kickstarted games are the ones that keep it simple.

The problem is that when you were planning on a $900K project and suddenly have $3.8M raised from crowdfunding, you can't just make a $900K game and pocket the rest, you have to put that money into the project, which means adding more features.

I won't claim to know how project management works, so I don't know what kind of safety net they had in place, or whether the KS money factored into it, but I imagine backers would cry foul if their money was just stashed in a war chest for "just in case" situations like, say, your engine no longer being updated.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I backed this one. I honestly keep forgetting about it. I guess I'll check it out when it comes out.

hz1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@melodiousj said:

@bartok said:

The problem is that when you were planning on a $900K project and suddenly have $3.8M raised from crowdfunding, you can't just make a $900K game and pocket the rest, you have to put that money into the project, which means adding more features.

This excuse breaks down when you take into consideration that major features promised when the game had a goal of $900K were cut due to "lack of budget." This was quietly announced after being asked repeatedly about the progress of said features by backers. Naturally, they didn't feel the need to disclose that the features were being cut until way after they got their $3.8M.

Palculees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Palculees

God Kickstarter backers are worse than publishers when it comes to wanting a company to push out an incomplete game. Yeah they need to improve their timeline predictions but at least they are trying to put out a tight game and you aren't seeing the typical rush something out cause we are running out of backer money (cou..Doublefine...gh). I heard the mechanics in the Demo were pretty good even if the art was a bit lackluster. I would reserve judgement on the game for when you can play the finished product.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By GiantLizardKing

He looks like a suck ass version of mega man anyway.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@palculees: The problem isn't just the art, the level design's pretty poor as well.

Great example - Instead of using level design to remind Mega Man players that the slide's a thing, it brings up a tutorial message helpfully saying "You can slide!"

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MN9 still being in this week's Top Releases column is pretty good.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i didn't backed this but i was really looking forward to playing it oh well i hope the final product ends up being worth it

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

At this point I would prefer a refund if anything. I know some people out there are going to trot out their classic "Kickstarter Isn't A Pre-Order" argument so they can feel superior for not backing it, but this game has changed too much for me to feel like it's what I backed at all. The art change? Sure, I can understand that to a point, but Multiplayer? I don't even remember that being in the original pitch, let alone being mentioned as something so seemingly important that it would delay the game like it is now.

Obviously the best we can do is wait, but between the communication issues, design changes and the other KS campaigns that showed up while MN9 was seeking funding and beyond, I feel pretty safe in saying that at least I personally had the wool pulled over my eyes. Blatantly saying I was lied to seems a bit excessive of a term, but I'm obviously not saying I haven't considered saying it either. Just a mess all around.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for this thing to finally actually launch, and then it's nothing but bad reviews and people just not bothering with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.