Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

In a futuristic totalitarian dystopia, a master courier (in a group of renegade "runners") investigates a conspiracy, while outrunning the deadly government military, in this parkour-inspired first-person action game.

Mirror´s Edge initial impressions !

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n
    This is you, and your bad ass eyeliner tattoo.
    Picked up my copy today and I´ve played the first two chapters. The initial impression is that this is a real trial and error game. You´re pretty much constantly on the run from something or someone or chasing something or someone and you only have a split second to figure out where you´re supposed to be going. And whatever you might think its not always as clear as the color red. Sometimes there is no red and you´re forced to think for yourself. This often results in many many falls into the abyss. The thing is tho. This is neither fruistrating nor boring. Theres pretty much a checkpoint before each tricky climb or jump and you always feel like its your own fault when you mess up. Even more common is that you WANT to do that last failing jump better. Mirrors Edge is a game about platforming perfection. When you nail a long perfect stretch with cops breathing down your neck its a fantastic feeling. The game makes you feel like you really accomplished something.
    The core gameplay is also so fun that at least I dont mind replaying bits of the stage over and over. It will be interesting to see if it will pass the line and go from "I really want to try that jump again" to "this is just frustrating" but I actually doubt it.

I am completely in love with the graphical direction they decided to take. Its all clean bright colors with a sense of style and crispness to it. It feels very stylized and it fits so well with the games futuristic controlled, "big brother sees you" utopia setting. It feels extremely focused. Not one single thing goes outside of these stylized, brightly colored textures. Even animated cutscenes, loading times, the menu and the overall design of the main character Faith. Big props to the art direction at Dice. This does NOT, however, mean that all the levels feel the same. I´ve already seen the inside of an office building, the rooftops, stormdrains & big underground sewer complexes. Ive been running streetside aswell as 40 floors up.

Faith.
    Faith.
    The sense of momentum is unlike anything else before it. When you´ve built up maximum speed and time every jump and slide right, the sensation of speed and skill in this game is something special in my book.
    The same goes for the audio. It dosent throw alot of ruckus or ambience in there. Its your own heavy breathing and moans, cops screaming from another rooftop where you left them and the sound of your own footsteps on different surfaces. When jumping or falling you can hear the wind blowing into your ears. Theres often some pretty minimalistic electronic beats playing in the background that picks up to become a bit more of a technotrack when there´s something hard coming up. It helps you build up that adrenaline needed every time you have to retry that section.
    Alright. I´m not gonna spill it all at once. I´ve only played for maybe 1-2 hours so its very fresh impressions. Overall it feels very focused. It knows what it wants to do and every little bolt in the machinery is adjusted to merge with this vision. Its refreshing and unique and it feels like a big, bright beacon in this holiday season of games.

Oh. One more thing that is important to realize. This is not a shooter by any means. This is a one of a kind platformer. There´s an achievement for completing the game without ever firing a bullet. I totally feel that is possible so far. The sensation of running past the cops in some acrobatic way is way cooler than shooting them. Sometimes they kill you but hey, I really dont mind trying that again and leaping over them in another fashion. Also, theres alot of achievements focusing on the Speed Run part of the game. I have no doubt that I will be spending alot of time in that mode once im done with the Story. Oh the Story? Its actually better than I thought it would be so far. An important politician is murdered and your sister is framed for it. I guess i´ll leave it at that to avoid any epic spoilers.
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jimbo_n
    Picked up my copy today and I´ve played the first two chapters. The initial impression is that this is a real trial and error game. You´re pretty much constantly on the run from something or someone or chasing something or someone and you only have a split second to figure out where you´re supposed to be going. And whatever you might think its not always as clear as the color red. Sometimes there is no red and you´re forced to think for yourself. This often results in many many falls into the abyss. The thing is tho. This is neither fruistrating nor boring. Theres pretty much a checkpoint before each tricky climb or jump and you always feel like its your own fault when you mess up. Even more common is that you WANT to do that last failing jump better. Mirrors Edge is a game about platforming perfection. When you nail a long perfect stretch with cops breathing down your neck its a fantastic feeling. The game makes you feel like you really accomplished something.
    The core gameplay is also so fun that at least I dont mind replaying bits of the stage over and over. It will be interesting to see if it will pass the line and go from "I really want to try that jump again" to "this is just frustrating" but I actually doubt it.

I am completely in love with the graphical direction they decided to take. Its all clean bright colors with a sense of style and crispness to it. It feels very stylized and it fits so well with the games futuristic controlled, "big brother sees you" utopia setting. It feels extremely focused. Not one single thing goes outside of these stylized, brightly colored textures. Even animated cutscenes, loading times, the menu and the overall design of the main character Faith. Big props to the art direction at Dice. This does NOT, however, mean that all the levels feel the same. I´ve already seen the inside of an office building, the rooftops, stormdrains & big underground sewer complexes. Ive been running streetside aswell as 40 floors up.

Faith.
    Faith.
    The sense of momentum is unlike anything else before it. When you´ve built up maximum speed and time every jump and slide right, the sensation of speed and skill in this game is something special in my book.
    The same goes for the audio. It dosent throw alot of ruckus or ambience in there. Its your own heavy breathing and moans, cops screaming from another rooftop where you left them and the sound of your own footsteps on different surfaces. When jumping or falling you can hear the wind blowing into your ears. Theres often some pretty minimalistic electronic beats playing in the background that picks up to become a bit more of a technotrack when there´s something hard coming up. It helps you build up that adrenaline needed every time you have to retry that section.
    Alright. I´m not gonna spill it all at once. I´ve only played for maybe 1-2 hours so its very fresh impressions. Overall it feels very focused. It knows what it wants to do and every little bolt in the machinery is adjusted to merge with this vision. Its refreshing and unique and it feels like a big, bright beacon in this holiday season of games.

Oh. One more thing that is important to realize. This is not a shooter by any means. This is a one of a kind platformer. There´s an achievement for completing the game without ever firing a bullet. I totally feel that is possible so far. The sensation of running past the cops in some acrobatic way is way cooler than shooting them. Sometimes they kill you but hey, I really dont mind trying that again and leaping over them in another fashion. Also, theres alot of achievements focusing on the Speed Run part of the game. I have no doubt that I will be spending alot of time in that mode once im done with the Story. Oh the Story? Its actually better than I thought it would be so far. An important politician is murdered and your sister is framed for it. I guess i´ll leave it at that to avoid any epic spoilers.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Judging from the demo, it seems like a cool game. I'll definitely rent the final version. Being a perfectionist, maybe I'll really enjoy the game like you have. I remember I totally loved Stuntman, which many people thought was too frustrating because it required you to do long, complex stunts as flawlessly as possible. I think from now on we'll be seeing more similar first-person platforming elements in games, which I think would probably be good. I'm not too thrilled about the speedrun achievements, though. Maybe they'll be okay in a game like this, but I'm generally not a guy who likes to rush through any game.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

11 hours until I get my hands on the game!

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jimbo_n

The thing here tho is that you are rushing anyway. You dont stop very often and if you do youre dead.

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By xpxTomxqx

When I played the demo, I thought the concept was good but the way the game played was just average. I like the realistic first person view and the way you jump from building to building but I just thought it was too basic. One button to do most things (LB), it reminded me too much of Assassin's Creed, which isn't bad but it seems a a bit similar. May have a look at it when it goes down in price but from my impressions on the demo it's a 6/10.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jimbo_n

Believe me when I say that you cant play the full game with just the LB and LT. you´ll be forced to do advanced jumps and manuevers and before you know it you´ve gone from "LB,LT" to cross two obstacles on Chapter 1 to "LB,RB,LB,LB,sprint,X,Y,Y,run,LB,RT,LT,RT" to make it past some long jumps, a climb up a wall, disarming a guard in slow motion and jump kicking + slide kicking and knocking out a second guard in Chapter 5 or so. And that argument dosent really hold up anyway I suppose. I guess you could argue in the same "lets judge the game unfairly" kind of way that you can play any shooter coming out with just the sticks and a trigger. Ive gone through half of the game now and all I can say from experience is that its the direct opposite of Assassins Creed. As soon as you think something is automated for you you´re dead. Its more a Sands of Time if you HAVE to compare it to something.

Jon_Rivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Jon_Rivera
    @Jimbo_N:
    I don't necessarilly see the trial and error element. I played it on the hardest mode with using runner vision, reaction time, the guide button, and ended up coasting my way through the game. I am hoping the sequel will be a lot tougher. Besides that, you took all the words right outta my mouth :)...
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bubahula
    @Jon_Rivera:

did you just get mirrors edge?
    Jon_Rivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Jon_Rivera
    @Bubahula said:
    "@Jon_Rivera: did you just get mirrors edge? "

No.
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

@Jon_Rivera said:
    " @Bubahula said:
    "@Jon_Rivera: did you just get mirrors edge? "
    No. "
    Well then what the fuck did you bump a year old thread for??????

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.