Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

In a futuristic totalitarian dystopia, a master courier (in a group of renegade "runners") investigates a conspiracy, while outrunning the deadly government military, in this parkour-inspired first-person action game.

Things that could fix Mirror's Edge

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By ParanoidFreak

I recently purchased Mirror's Edge in the hopes that it would be different from everything else I have been playing recently. I can definitely say that it is a nice change from all the shooters, it's definitely a good game, but I feel there are 3 little things that could easily be changed to make this game amazing.

1. Better Controls
       -The controls for this game are too simple. Often when I try to preform a wall run I just leap off an edge to my death, because the jump button and the wall run button are the same. In order to wall run properly you must look almost directly at the wall, which is difficult with the speed of this game.  
      -At times I find myself pressing the jump button too late and falling to my death. In a game where your feet are not visible it is difficult to tell precisely when to jump.

How to fix it:
    -The wall run and jump buttons should be separate, maybe the "X or A" button should be used to wall run.
                           - It's tricky to fix not being able to see your feet in a first-person game, maybe the controller should rumble at the best time to jump.

2. Less Combat
       -This game was not supposed to centered around combat, so the fighting components of this game do not work very well. Large groups of people shooting and killing me very quickly is a regular occurrence in this game.

How to fix it: - Less enemy's with guns would be nice, or maybe more cover to get around the enemy.

3. Better Flow
       -This game is at it's best when I can smoothly jump from building to building around the city. When this game slows down in combat areas or for some puzzles the game gets repetitive and boring fast.

How to fix it: - The game should be out in the open more often, and the correct path should be a little clearer. There should be less frustrating sections in which I have to die multiple times to discover the right path.

These are my thoughts on Mirror's Edge, if you can think of anything I missed go ahead and comment, or if you think I'm wrong tell me why.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I recently purchased Mirror's Edge in the hopes that it would be different from everything else I have been playing recently. I can definitely say that it is a nice change from all the shooters, it's definitely a good game, but I feel there are 3 little things that could easily be changed to make this game amazing.

1. Better Controls
       -The controls for this game are too simple. Often when I try to preform a wall run I just leap off an edge to my death, because the jump button and the wall run button are the same. In order to wall run properly you must look almost directly at the wall, which is difficult with the speed of this game.  
      -At times I find myself pressing the jump button too late and falling to my death. In a game where your feet are not visible it is difficult to tell precisely when to jump.

How to fix it:
    -The wall run and jump buttons should be separate, maybe the "X or A" button should be used to wall run.
                           - It's tricky to fix not being able to see your feet in a first-person game, maybe the controller should rumble at the best time to jump.

2. Less Combat
       -This game was not supposed to centered around combat, so the fighting components of this game do not work very well. Large groups of people shooting and killing me very quickly is a regular occurrence in this game.

How to fix it: - Less enemy's with guns would be nice, or maybe more cover to get around the enemy.

3. Better Flow
       -This game is at it's best when I can smoothly jump from building to building around the city. When this game slows down in combat areas or for some puzzles the game gets repetitive and boring fast.

How to fix it: - The game should be out in the open more often, and the correct path should be a little clearer. There should be less frustrating sections in which I have to die multiple times to discover the right path.

These are my thoughts on Mirror's Edge, if you can think of anything I missed go ahead and comment, or if you think I'm wrong tell me why.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Nice blog, dude. I really like that you offer solutions to issues you have with the game. It's one thing to just criticize a game, but I think the more mature and professional critiques offer ways to improve it. I haven't yet played the game other than the demo, so I can't speak too much on it, but I do like the idea of the controller rumbling when you should jump. However, I think maybe it should only rumble if you're running at the ledge at a fast enough speed to reach the landing. Obviously, you don't want to walk towards a ledge and just have the controller rumble as you stand there. Well, I guess some people are into that sort of thing... Haha.

As for the wallrun, I really miss the days of the SNES controller's concave and convex buttons (like X and B, I think it was) working in tandem. Take Donkey Kong Country for instance. You held X to run, and then pushed A to jump. Together they worked beautifully. I still can't understand why concave buttons have never returned. I always thought they made it much easier to use two face buttons at once. Okay, I'm going off topic here. Anyway, it sounds like Mirror's Edge has a few rough edges to work out, but the potential to be a very cool series.

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kilzombie

I agree with all the points said above, though i really think that they should scrap the combat completely. Seriously, guns totally killed the game for me, they shouldn't have put them in.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar
    Kilzombie said:
    "I agree with all the points said above, though i really think that they should scrap the combat completely. Seriously, guns totally killed the game for me, they shouldn't have put them in."
    I agree, there should only be a kick in balls button instead of having guns.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PureRok

You can see your feet. It's called looking down. You'd look down in real life, do it in the game.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By zitosilva

I conpletly agree with all your points. The combats parts are terribly frustrating the way they are, but I was thinking the same thing about wall running and jumping. It's so stupid to just jump and die when you wanted to wall run. Specially in those parts where you have to wall run, turn and then jump. I failed so many times in a row a those moments...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince
    PureRok said:
    "You can see your feet. It's called looking down. You'd look down in real life, do it in the game."

Yes, absolutely genius. Look at you feet while attempting to jump off a thirty story building. Because really, who needs to look at the path ahead of them...?
    Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dark_Shadow

Totally agreed.

swankster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By swankster

I disagree with everything in the OP.  I do enjoy the guns, and I move through this game very fluidly.  Of course I'm only at chapter 3, perhaps it becomes more difficult later. 

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ParanoidFreak
    swankster said:
    "I disagree with everything in the OP.  I do enjoy the guns, and I move through this game very fluidly.  Of course I'm only at chapter 3, perhaps it becomes more difficult later. "
    I believe chapter 4 was the worst for guns (I cant quite remember).
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Illmatic

I absolutely hated the regular enemies of Mirror's Edge save for one, The Runner Guards. The feeling of the enemy not trying to bring me down through annoyingly effective guns but chasing me throughout the level gave me a good sense of unease rather than the terrible feeling I'd get when not one but five soldiers with automatic rifles, snipers, and shotguns emerged from a door.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By wefwefasdf

I never had a problem with the controls. *shrug* I hated the combat sections though...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne

Fix for all of your problems: Don't suck at the game?

If you're not able to wallrun, it's your fault. it really isn't difficult.
    If you're not able to fight or to find the path around the fight, it's your fault. It really isn't difficult.

I agree with the better flow, though. Mirror's Edge has plenty of "awesome!" moments, but it had the possibilities and tools for creating much more of them.

A slight rumble just before it's too late to jump, that's also a nice idea.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14  Edited By natetodamax

I agree with everything. One thing that I really hated was that DICE discourages combat, yet there are multiple moments in the game where you have to fight or you can't proceed.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By c1337us

I agree with all the points you have made in that blog. The solution you offer to the jumping problem was quite a good idea I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.